Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Great day in N. Utah today!

Old 04-03-07, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why on earth would you want to go to that lake with a bike**********

Personally,,,,, I do not,,,, Just curious.............
Old 04-03-07, 06:01 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would however, if I had the $$$$$$$$$, order one of those Ultegra 853 road thingys advertised over there on the right. I anin't never had a road thing before, so I will just keep plugging along on the old Hard Rock.
Old 04-05-07, 08:42 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
h e l l o......Yall, I know its not as warm as some may like and I am working sun up to sun set so I got nothing left when I get home, so I check this Great Day in northern Uath thing every day. bout all I can do right now.
Old 04-05-07, 10:21 PM
Old Fogy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel sorry for you! I was forced to work yesterday and this morning, but my bro and got out for a nice little twenty miler on the JRP this afternoon. Rode my 67 Schwinn Racer. Had to watch out for the idiots, though, they're out in force. People all over the trail, dogs running loose, motor scooters. Sometimes makes the roads look good!
Old 04-06-07, 12:37 AM
*****es love tarck

Bikes: so many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waldowales
There is supposedly a frontage road along I-15, but I've not seen it. That would be the long way around, if it even exists. You can take Redwood to 8750 North in Lehi and get back onto the Jordan Parkway and take it nearly to the lake before you have to wind around the streets again. Why on earth would you want to go to that lake with a bike?
There is a frontage road on both sides of I-15. The east side frontage road was under construction and was a dirt road part of the way the last time I took it so you should probably stick to the west side.
Old 04-06-07, 07:52 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be in St. George later this month. Anybody have any suggestions for road rides in the area? Not too strenuous, not over 50 miles. I'm an old man!
Old 04-06-07, 08:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Virgin River Trail, It should be fairly nice down there by then, let me know if interested I can see if I got map.
Its a take yur time and look at he scenery type deal.
If you got a dirt bike the Bear Claw is a blast.
Old 04-07-07, 08:54 AM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a dirt bike, but don't mountain bike alone, so it'll be a road bike ride. I've seen part of the Virgin River trail, maybe I'll just get on it and explore. Would like a map, though. If I can't find one on line, I'll get back to you.
Old 04-07-07, 06:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.sgcity.org/pdf/trailsmap.pdf

Here is map of Virgin River Trail, I asked how long it was, one said 2 miles, another 8 and another 15, There is paved trails all over that town.

I gotta tell ya, if you did take your MTB and ride that Bear Claw, start at the bottom, go easy up the rolly coaster, as far as you want, then read the instructions as you go down, and you turn into a 14 year old again, just don't get goin to fast and you will be safe, it's easy to get air born, then you will say, "I will kill that Nycycle for not forcing me to do this sooner ."

FYI, going to St George without a bike is like going to Church without a Bible, There is also trails on the North side out by Hurricane that are paved, I don't know what they are called. What ever ya do ,,,, take a camera.

I just got off work @ 2:30, on the bike by 3:10, 19.98 miles by 5m(Head wind) hit the PArk Way down to 8600, many mormons, yall had to be one of them, I think I will stop over at Compusign and get a sticker made with "bikeforums.net Nycycle" and stick it on the Hardrock, that way yall will know me, I don't mean Biblically.
Old 04-07-07, 08:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I passed a guy on one of those 2 wheeled recliners, he was yaking on his cell phone and looking like he may fall to sleep at the controls.
Old 04-07-07, 10:24 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Parkway

I hit the parkway about 10:00 AM. Bro and I went from 4800 to 8700. Not as many idiots as day before yesterday, when my brother crashed trying to keep from running over a little girl. According to Mayor Snaar, police on bicycles will be starting to patrol soon. That always seems to make people a little smarter.
I think I will try that Snow Canyon trail by St. George. I've driven the canyon before, but according to the map at utahmountainbiking.com, the trail only hits the road for about a mile, and it's all paved. 18 miles and 1050 vertical. I just might take the old Schwinn 3-speed instead of the Trek road bike.
Old 04-08-07, 08:30 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well in any case, St George is the place to ride, so don't go under prepared.

I wanna road bike too, I may start looking for used, I am 6'3" so I need a big one.

Only idiot I seen on the trail was this guy who was with me last year, as he would pass old people and young he would yell "Get out of the way",, or "Watch it!",,,,rude.
I came around a blind corner at 4500 so, 2 little girls sitting right in the middle tieing shoes, I told them to move, then down 7800 underpass some dummy put big rocks in the trail, right on a blind corner. I cleaned it up. If I have to I will take a shovel down and clean the mudd up too. It is getting crowded enough that I have slowed down, I watch and put saftey first.

Last edited by Nycycle; 04-08-07 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 04:30 AM
Golden Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a couple of 20-25 milers on Sat. First one was North Salt Lake out on ... forget the name... West of Redwood Road. Anywho... must have been a race or club thing going on. Roadies everywhere. Mostly going South and turning West on the old airport road. After staying very left so they wouldn't run me over, I jumped on the Parkway at 10th North in Rose Park and went to North Temple. Headed East up to 600 W. and worked the I-15 frontage back up to Beck Street then back to North Salt Lake. Very nice ride. Made me want a road bike after seeing those roadies blow by me.

2nd ride was ill conceived. North Salt Lake to approx. 6500 S. 200 E. Partly reverse of what I did earlier. I-15 frontage, Beck Street, N. Temple, jumped on the parkway at 400 S. Started running out of gas at 4800 S. Jumped off at 5800 S. 1000 W. or so and worked my way east to the inlaws place. I think this trip would have been fine had I not done about 25 miles earlier on only a few hours rest.

About Utah Lake. I've never been there. I just thought it would be a nice long ride and somewhere to camp out. It's about a 100 mile round trip from my house not counting traversing around. Are there some better places to camp out that way? I'd rather not go east up the mountains this time around.
Old 04-10-07, 10:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JR97
I did a couple of 20-25 milers on Sat. Very nice ride. Made me want a road bike after seeing those roadies blow by me.
Me too
Old 04-15-07, 07:34 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice ride in Utah today,,,,,,,,,,,considering I only get to ride once a week, real nice.
Old 04-15-07, 10:34 PM
JF1

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish I didn't have to work today. Got in a decent ride on Friday and a great ride on Saturday though both days were kind of windy. Passed a group of riders that were staging at the courthouse in Farmington on Saturday. Anybody know who they were or what ride they were doing?
Old 04-16-07, 09:43 AM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday, I rode from North Salt Lake to West Bountiful and took the dirt road out on the west side to Farmington and then over to Farmington Bay. Awesome ride. It's sickening to see West Bountiful getting carved up for the Legacy Highway and suburban sprawl. All of my old stomping grounds are now cookie cutter Ivory homes or soon to be highway. The trip home sucked. Nasty headwind. I was on the frontage road from Farmington to Centerville and damn near got hit a few times as well.

On Sunday I rode from North Salt Lake to West Bountiful and then up the hill to Davis Boulevard in Centerville. That climb sucked. I think I'm going to do it again though. Davis Boulevard was a very nice pay off. The trip out was a head wind, trip back seemed like a head wind, too. How does that happen?

All of these miles on my department store FS mountain bike are fun, but I'm thinking a road bike might be the ticket. Even a cheap one.
Old 04-16-07, 08:07 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Amen on the Legacy Highway thing, I don't get it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Amen on the head wind too, I can't esplain it, it's like head winds take the oxygen out of the air,,, or something********************?
Old 04-16-07, 08:08 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JF1
Wish I didn't have to work today. Got in a decent ride on Friday and a great ride on Saturday though both days were kind of windy. Passed a group of riders that were staging at the courthouse in Farmington on Saturday. Anybody know who they were or what ride they were doing?

I work with a dude thats in Farmington gummerment, I will ask him.
Old 04-23-07, 11:07 AM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weeked was rough. Got caught in the rain Saturday morning. But made up for it riding later that afternoon.

Sunday was brutal. Commuted out to the office in a nasty headwind. 30 miles RT or so. Return trip was nice with the tailwind. The climb to my house is just murder. It gets steeper the higher you go. But I made it. Last time I walked about 1/2 of it.
Old 04-23-07, 07:26 PM
JF1

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JR97
This weeked was rough. Got caught in the rain Saturday morning. But made up for it riding later that afternoon.

Sunday was brutal. Commuted out to the office in a nasty headwind. 30 miles RT or so. Return trip was nice with the tailwind. The climb to my house is just murder. It gets steeper the higher you go. But I made it. Last time I walked about 1/2 of it.
Good job JR97. Do you live up on the bench there in Bountiful? If so, you did great to not have to walk part of it. I did my first 100 miler of the year on Friday. Was cold (~47 degrees) and gusty but I managed it.
Old 04-30-07, 06:34 AM
Golden Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JF, I"m in North Salt Lake. Not on the upper benches, but Orchard Drive. I took Redwood up there. One of my rides, I take 1100 West West Bountiful up to Davis Boulevard.. the Centerville benches. That one is a killer. I usually walk some of that.

This weekend was some ok riding, but awesome weather. Saturday I did the Jordan River from 3500 S to 8000 S. and back. Sunday did North Salt to the West Bountiful ponds and back. Ate my share of bugs.
Old 05-03-07, 08:43 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bugs,, I can relate.........................
Old 05-04-07, 04:13 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's why I carry a toothpick!
Old 05-04-07, 10:06 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That reminds me, we gotta do lunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.