Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 02:35 PM
I carry one spare tire.

Bikes: 96 Gary Fisher Montare, 07 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have heard a lot about the Gun Rd hill and the Ilchester Rd hill on here. Today I decided to find out for myself just what all the fuss is about. I did this 30 mile route https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/268231 Starting at the BWI trail and over to Gun and Ilchester.

Things started off fine as I made my way over to the Park. I crossed the railroad tracks and met Gun rd. It was not very nice. Of course, if I remember correctly, it was VERY steep at the start, then it wasnt too bad after that. There were a few flatter sections where I could catch my breath. I recovered and pressed on up rolling rd.

Frederick and Hilltop roads were fun. Lots of downhill. Then Ilchester. I was following a bus (which stopped on the hill and seemed like it was having a difficult time getting started back up the hill). I recognized the hill from a picture that I have seen on BF. I thought "This really doesnt seem that bad." I round the corner and I think "well, thats pretty steep, but its a quick one. This should be easier than Gun." Then.....I realize that it keeps going after a small relatively flat section.

I made it without stopping though. 4-5 MPH pretty much the whole way.

I loved Landing Rd. That may be my favorite cycling rd yet....

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, Ilchester helped me decide that I want a triple on my next bike
Old 03-27-09, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbac23
I have heard a lot about the Gun Rd hill and the Ilchester Rd hill on here. Today I decided to find out for myself just what all the fuss is about. ... I recognized the hill from a picture that I have seen on BF. I thought "This really doesnt seem that bad." I round the corner and I think "well, thats pretty steep, but its a quick one. This should be easier than Gun." Then.....I realize that it keeps going after a small relatively flat section.

I made it without stopping though. 4-5 MPH pretty much the whole way.
You, my friend, are well on your way to catching the bug. This sickness will consume great amounts of your free time, cause you great physical pain, cause you to wear embarrassing clothing, and give your friends, co-workers and loved ones good reason to call you a freak.

Welcome to the club.
Old 03-27-09, 03:29 PM
I carry one spare tire.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
You, my friend, are well on your way to catching the bug. This sickness will consume great amounts of your free time, cause you great physical pain, cause you to wear embarrassing clothing, and give your friends, co-workers and loved ones good reason to call you a freak.

Welcome to the club.
Great amounts of free time consumed - check
Cause me to wear embarrassing clothing - check
Give everyone a reason to call me a freak - check

My next step is a group ride. I am not available on Sat/Sun mornings when most BBC rides are. Almost all of the BBC rides that are on the weekdays are 15-17 MPH rides. Do people get "dropped" on those? I am not so worried about cycling the route by myself, but I do not want to keep others waiting or try something that I am so far away from being able to keep up with. I have never averaged 15-17 mph in a ride, but most of my riding is in the city where I am constantly slowing down for stop signs/lights/traffic. I would like to believe that I could tough it out for a few hours and do 15-17. I may not be able to walk for a few days, but hopefully I could do it! I guess there is no way to really tell if you are ready unless you just give it a shot?

In the Summer, I should be able to do some of the Saturday rides, but until then I am working weekend mornings.
Old 03-27-09, 03:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=nbac23;8613055My next step is a group ride. I am not available on Sat/Sun mornings when most BBC rides are. Almost all of the BBC rides that are on the weekdays are 15-17 MPH rides. Do people get "dropped" on those?[/QUOTE]

I've got a Tues-Sat work week. So, I ride many of Steve Zeldin's Monday rides. They're a mellow crew. If you're new and slow they will wait for you, if they know you- you can do whatever you want.

Harry and Barry have flexible schedules and can get together most mondays. Give a yell when you want to hook up for a ride. -GB
Old 03-27-09, 05:54 PM
I carry one spare tire.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GB: Thanks- I will wait until I think the time is right. Of course I dont know how long I can wait..... I am going to try to get a few more solo 30-40 mile rides in before I give it a go.
Old 03-27-09, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was heading out for a nice long road ride today, bike(Madone) started creaking and got unbearable a few miles out. Rode home and took it to Joes. Guy at Joes pulled apart the BB greased it up, I took for a ride in the parking lot, still creaked but not too bad. Got home took it out, really bad, brought it back and they'll keep it until Monday. All of my bikes have made creaking sounds, riding style? Torque? Maybe I gotta stick with steel or titanium? Neither my 520 or Pista creak, both steel. Madone may be on the market soon.
Did an uninspired ride at Montebello and man am I sick of that, also had some punks hissing at me on every lap, nice.

nbac-Look forward to riding with you. There are some incredibly strong riders here but they are all willing to keep the group together. I don't do many BBC rides either but hope to do more if the start times get early enough. I'm thinking the 10am starts are for cooler weather.
Old 03-28-09, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HC203
had some punks hissing at me on every lap, nice.
Janet and Bob?
Old 03-28-09, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got one word for this morning's commute:

Worms.
Old 03-28-09, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I've got one word for this morning's commute:

Worms.
I'm hoping you didn't run over any of them.
Old 03-28-09, 08:32 AM

GB: Thanks- I will wait until I think the time is right.
If you are doing Illchester and Gun with not stopping you can keep up with many groups. Those are some steep ones. They are in my neighborhood, ride them often. Ride College from Old Ellicott city towards Bonnie Branch, a real roller coaster.

I was heading out for a nice long road ride today, bike(Madone) started creaking and got unbearable a few miles out. Rode home and took it to Joes. Guy at Joes pulled apart the BB greased it up, I took for a ride in the parking lot, still creaked but not too bad.
Harry did anyone check the pedals. I often find creaking start there. Swap out the pedals and ride it.

NR: go man, bring home the gold
Old 03-28-09, 08:35 AM

Those of you having problems w/ BF logging you out: If the log-in screen appears just sign back in and your post should still be there. It usually happens when replying to a post and taking too long. It happens to me all the time.
Old 03-28-09, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Janet and Bob?
That's funny, no these cats a were a bit more thuggish than J & B.
Old 03-28-09, 05:47 PM
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those of you into politics in Baltimore County there is a reception Monday night in Annapolis come say hi to your reps and that you are a cyclists. https://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...90328192336402

@Charlie: After I log in the text I wrote is no longer there, I'm using Fire Fox.
. . /L
=()>()
Old 03-28-09, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That group that rides from my neighborhood hasn't started up yet, seems they wait until regular 60+ days.

They also wait for a bit more daylight. They do Sunday rides but the weekday morning rides don't start up for another month or 2.
Are you getting regular emails about the rides yet (this would be from the rides that leave from Stoneleigh you speak of, correct?).
Old 03-29-09, 03:33 PM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
NR: go man, bring home the gold
LOL, the only gold this boy is bringing home is gold foil covered chocolate Easter eggs from the gas station I stopped at on the way home.

Anyway...

My race report (err...., summary) goes like this:

Went.

Raced 50+.

OTB.

Worked with 2 others--a 15-18 Junior (Shane Hockenberger of JRVS/Casey Auto Group) and a 60+ (Ron Whitenack of JRVS/Casey Auto)--to finish NOT last.

Nipped the 18 year old junior in a sprint for the line. He gave good "lead out". (he started the sprint; I had to chase )

That is all.

EDIT: Add URLs to pictures taken at the race by three different folks:

https://images.jamesrwilson.com/p701460079
https://amyjones.zenfolio.com/p746541536
https://picasaweb.google.com/splijinx...p20091230Start#

Last edited by NoRacer; 04-01-09 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-29-09, 03:35 PM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's funny, no these cats were a bit more thuggish than B.
Fixed that for you.
Old 03-29-09, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Fixed that for you.
I expected that, ha ha! Hope you had a fun ride in Cville. I was thinking of trying the Fawn Grove Roubaix but I have kid duty. I still might like to ride the course.

Originally Posted by veloellen
They do Sunday rides but the weekday morning rides don't start up for another month or 2.
Are you getting regular emails about the rides yet (this would be from the rides that leave from Stoneleigh you speak of, correct?).
I believe it's the same group, Chris Lehman is in it and a guy I know from the gym, spinning instructor named David from Cedarcroft. I do get their e-mails though haven't see any lately.

Did my Sunday coffee run today with three others, wet start but rather enjoyable. Riding my 520 is good, no aches, no bottom bracket creaks. I think steel is the best for me.
Old 03-29-09, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 830 mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"You, my friend, are well on your way to catching the bug. This sickness will consume great amounts of your free time, cause you great physical pain, cause you to wear embarrassing clothing, and give your friends, co-workers and loved ones good reason to call you a freak."

Wow! I can hardly wait.
Old 03-30-09, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I expected that, ha ha! Hope you had a fun ride in Cville. I was thinking of trying the Fawn Grove Roubaix but I have kid duty. I still might like to ride the course.

I believe it's the same group, Chris Lehman is in it and a guy I know from the gym, spinning instructor named David from Cedarcroft. I do get their e-mails though haven't see any lately.

Did my Sunday coffee run today with three others, wet start but rather enjoyable. Riding my 520 is good, no aches, no bottom bracket creaks. I think steel is the best for me.

I'll shoot you a note here when my husband starts joining them for their weekday rides...or you'll hear about it from Chris.
Old 03-31-09, 04:23 PM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last Ride of the Month:

https://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/21783

...and another month over 1,000 miles (1,083).
Old 03-31-09, 08:39 PM
I carry one spare tire.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last ride of the month:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ld-Court-Falls

Over 500 miles for....the year NR, you are certainly committed to your 12,000 miles.

Of course I had 0 miles for January and February/March are probably the busiest times for me as far as work goes. Too much traveling.... I am really getting in the groove though and I hope to have a modest 3,000 for the year. I am trying to ride 6 days a week -even if its just 10 miles. Throwing in at least two rides over 30 mile each week.
Old 04-01-09, 05:22 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NR, you are certainly committed to your 12,000 miles.
Yes, I am. And, it really isn't taking that much more effort to do, for me. I just have to push away the excuses not to ride--easier for me to do since I've banished the GF and my nearby blood relatives know not to bug me (and, they can track me if they want using the link in my sig).

Of course I had 0 miles for January and February/March are probably the busiest times for me as far as work goes. Too much traveling.... I am really getting in the groove though and I hope to have a modest 3,000 for the year. I am trying to ride 6 days a week -even if its just 10 miles. Throwing in at least two rides over 30 mile each week.
Hey, nbac, we do what we can do. Good going with whatever you can fit in to your schedule.

Last edited by NoRacer; 04-01-09 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 06:32 AM

Hey folks: rather quiet around here lately. Riding has been decent.
NR yesterday was a nice evening for a ride, good choice.
I made a dumb purchase from Velo orange. I ordered Kool Stop thinline brake shoes. I didn't realize they were threaded. Is it possible to use them anyway? I can't find Kool Stop thinline salmon w/ smooth post anywhere.
Old 04-01-09, 06:45 AM
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made a dumb purchase from Velo orange. I ordered Kool Stop thinline brake shoes. I didn't realize they were threaded. Is it possible to use them anyway? I can't find Kool Stop thinline salmon w/ smooth post anywhere.
Would any of these work?

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/zzks/...p/products.htm

Like maybe this one? (They have it in salmon, too.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KoolStopEagleClaw.jpg (20.9 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by NoRacer; 04-01-09 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-01-09, 07:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey folks: rather quiet around here lately. Riding has been decent.
Unfortunately, GB's been whining (off-forum, sorry ) to NR about my crumby knee. Pain behind my patella. I'm getting to a doc this week and will get some bike fit advice as well. I'm flummoxed about what it could be. Nothing significant has changed on these bikes and I've put a whole lot of miles on them with no prob. Contrary to popular opinion, the fixie is not causing pain- it's the longer distance bikes.

I can't find Kool Stop thinline salmon w/ smooth post anywhere.
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Would any of these work? https://www.biketiresdirect.com/zzks/...p/products.htm Like maybe this one? (They have it in salmon, too.)
That's the standard thickness shoe. I bet Charlie's looking for the thin guys. They give you a little more room for wider rims in the front. Looks like Harris may have them:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/b...thinlinesmooth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.