Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo P3C, Ritchey Breakaway Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilinblack
What is it you don't like about the Forte's? I was looking at a pair for the "new" bike and hoping that they'd work with my current mountain shoes with SPD's. I'd actually ordered a similar set from Nashbar in their returns section but found out today that someone beat me to them.
They are a pain in the ass to get clipped into wearing road shoes. They are usually always upside down when I leave a stop, and just getting the cleat to catch is a pain, and gets worse as I get tired. It's not as bad if you are wearing a mtn/touring style shoe that recesses the cleat in the sole, but I don't know how many times I've almost killed myself slipping off the damn things with my road shoes!
Old 10-16-06, 09:10 PM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markg, if your only problem is clipping in, maybe try Shimano SPD pedals? I have the cheapest ones on my Specialized Allez and on the Specialized Roubaix that I'm giving my dad. They're double sided, and I find them extremely easy to use compared to the Look Keos.
Old 10-16-06, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jschen
markg, I'm happy with my switch from SPD to Look Keo. The biggest difference I found was greater lateral stability out of the saddle, which is helping me stay out of the saddle for longer stretches of time on steep sections. Well, that and much faster cleat wear. I also have a bit more trouble clipping in, but it's not that bad, and I'm getting better at it. If it matters to you, I hear Shimano road pedals/cleats have much slower cleat wear.
Been debating the Look Keo vs Shimano SPD-SL. But saw a comment in the "tinkering" thread (and also on Roadbikereviews) that the Shimano's (at least the Ultegra's) tend to flop upside down as well. Had originally wanted Speedplay's (BTW remind share some some Richard Bryne war stories sometime), but decided I didn't like all the hardware bolted to the shoes.
Old 10-16-06, 09:29 PM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markg, I'm happy with my switch from SPD to Look Keo. The biggest difference I found was greater lateral stability out of the saddle, which is helping me stay out of the saddle for longer stretches of time on steep sections. Well, that and much faster cleat wear. I also have a bit more trouble clipping in, but it's not that bad, and I'm getting better at it. If it matters to you, I hear Shimano road pedals/cleats have much slower cleat wear.

herbm, hope you like your new wheels.

Thanks Jason..I cant wait to take em for a spin!
FWIW..I went from SPD to the Speedplays...great float...great movement..I am just not as thrilled having to walk with them..but the coffee caps help!
Old 10-16-06, 09:29 PM
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markg, that flipping around happens to me with the Keos sometimes, and that's the main reason I have more trouble clipping in than with double sided SPD pedals. In principle, they're weighted in such a fashion that as the pedal comes up, you naturally clip in. But sometimes, a quick downstroke with my right foot causes the left pedal to flip around, making it a bit difficult to clip in. No big deal, though... just pedal around (preferably one-legged to let the errant pedal get back in position) and try again.
Old 10-16-06, 09:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
markg, that flipping around happens to me with the Keos sometimes, and that's the main reason I have more trouble clipping in than with double sided SPD pedals. In principle, they're weighted in such a fashion that as the pedal comes up, you naturally clip in. But sometimes, a quick downstroke with my right foot causes the left pedal to flip around, making it a bit difficult to clip in. No big deal, though... just pedal around (preferably one-legged to let the errant pedal get back in position) and try again.
I'm coming from single-sided SPD's that are ALWAYS completely upside down (or seems like it) and never flip over as the crank comes up. So anything would be better than what I have right now! Of course I am probably STILL unlearning the old habit of flipping the pedal to insert the shoe into the toe clip.

Now reading more Roadbikereview, there seem to be a number of people that have broken pedal spindles on their Keo's And a friend of mine got some of the new Time pedals and the one of the cleats broke in pretty short order.
Old 10-16-06, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this Hollywood rack (sport rider) last week for my Acura... mainly because I needed it on short notice, and Reseda Bikes had it in stock. But I'm pretty impressed with it, after an inaugural trek to PHX and back.

Old 10-16-06, 09:47 PM
mother F'in headwinds!

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a E3 Curve CF handlebar a couple days ago. these just came out from Performance. reg $189.99. its not on the website yet but we do have it in stock (North Torrance store). very comfortable on the flats as it has a flat section on the flats and also very ergonomic on the hoods and the drops. a tad flexy as it is cf but still responsive. paired that up with a ritchey wcs stem. its great.
Old 10-16-06, 09:53 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of now, I picked up a set of black Shimano R550 wheels for $150. I liked my old silver ones well enough, and the black with match my bike a little more. At that price range, I'm still thinking of exchanging for Ultegra/Open Pros.
Old 10-16-06, 09:56 PM

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Keo Carbons from PBK. Have had them for about a month, and it's actually pretty good so far. Can't compare it with any other roadie pedals though. Compared with mtb Time ATACs, they're easier to get in and out. If you're getting yours from PBK, remember to use their kit builder and throw in a set of cleats w/covers as well. I believe their 10% off kit builder will effectively get you that extra cleat for "free".

Other diff of PBK version compared to the boxed US ones:
- no box
- Keo label on contact side of pedals is a sticker instead of printed onto the pedal itself
- cleat covers are not included

Cleat wear-wise, one set will prob last me a year but I only do weekend riding. I think jschen's first set lasted a little over a month or something like that.
Old 10-16-06, 10:00 PM
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSANYYZ
I think jschen's first set lasted a little over a month or something like that.
Yes, I swapped my first set after about 400 miles. But not knowing how badly they wear, I was a bit less careful about using cleat covers for walking around. And with my initial getting used to the pedals, a few missed clip ins on steep slopes quickly put a huge amount of wear on my left cleat (the side I usually clip in/out on). My current set lasted much better, though I found that the majority of the wear comes from a few missed clip ins on steep slopes. If I rode only on flat ground, my cleats probably would last a really long time.
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 PM

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markg
I'm coming from single-sided SPD's that are ALWAYS completely upside down (or seems like it) and never flip over as the crank comes up. So anything would be better than what I have right now! Of course I am probably STILL unlearning the old habit of flipping the pedal to insert the shoe into the toe clip.
Oops, I should have read further before responding. From the display rack in Performance retail stores, all their single side roadie pedals point up and a little backwards. Look/Shimano pedals have a somewhat fluid spindle and they easily assume that position. Time spindles seem to have more friction.

With my Keo, I normally position my foot further back and glide my foot forward trying to clip in. ~80% success on first attempts. In the failed attempts, I either ride with one leg or just use the back side of the pedal until I can safely try again.
Old 10-16-06, 11:55 PM
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got home to find a FedEx delivery notice telling me that a package was left with the apartment office. I wonder what that package might contain. Could it be my package from Nytro?
Old 10-17-06, 12:03 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
surprise you didn't just ride up to Nytro for your parts
Old 10-17-06, 12:25 AM
mother F'in headwinds!

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman
As of now, I picked up a set of black Shimano R550 wheels for $150. I liked my old silver ones well enough, and the black with match my bike a little more. At that price range, I'm still thinking of exchanging for Ultegra/Open Pros.
if you want a more stronger, reliable wheel, go with the ultegra/open pro.
Old 10-17-06, 12:53 AM
riding once again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
surprise you didn't just ride up to Nytro for your parts
I think I've done enough riding to tide me through at least until Wednesday.
Old 10-17-06, 05:06 AM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herbm
Thanks Jason..I cant wait to take em for a spin!
FWIW..I went from SPD to the Speedplays...great float...great movement..I am just not as thrilled having to walk with them..but the coffee caps help!

i LOVE my speedplays and have no issues walking on them even without the coffee covers!
Old 10-17-06, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
i LOVE my speedplays and have no issues walking on them even without the coffee covers!
Speedplay's would definitely be the OCP solution on a Cervelo....
Old 10-17-06, 08:11 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdick
if you want a more stronger, reliable wheel, go with the ultegra/open pro.
I have these wheels...have 2100 miles on them, and although they're not the most bombproof, I've had zero problems. Never had to have them trued (they may need it, but they still ride straight and don't rub the brakes at all). They do tend to feel a bit flexy when under a major load...say, sprinting up a hill and tossing the bike back and forth...but they're good enough that I can't really justify an upgrade. Besides, I think they look better than the Ultegra/open pro rig. I prever the R550 hubs over the Ultegras. Just my opinion.
Old 10-17-06, 08:13 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
What shoes do you have? Is there 'tread' on them? My road shoes only have a little hard plastic pad right at the heel, so the walking surface is the metal Speedplay plate and that hard plastic pad. Not the easiest to walk in, as compared to the rubber surface of the SPD-SL cleats.
Old 10-17-06, 08:18 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdick
i bought a E3 Curve CF handlebar a couple days ago. these just came out from Performance. reg $189.99. its not on the website yet but we do have it in stock (North Torrance store). very comfortable on the flats as it has a flat section on the flats and also very ergonomic on the hoods and the drops. a tad flexy as it is cf but still responsive. paired that up with a ritchey wcs stem. its great.
I was looking at that bar just last Friday. They looked comfortable, but I'm terrified. Ask SirLanceImNot what he thinks of Carbon bars. Just be careful if you smash a pothole.
Old 10-17-06, 09:02 AM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
What shoes do you have? Is there 'tread' on them? My road shoes only have a little hard plastic pad right at the heel, so the walking surface is the metal Speedplay plate and that hard plastic pad. Not the easiest to walk in, as compared to the rubber surface of the SPD-SL cleats.

Sorry to jump in Mo...
I have Sidi Genius 5....they have a soft rubber pad on the heel...so that helps a bit...but it does wear out...I just ordered another set to replace when these total wear out...they just screw in...
The shoes are ok...I have had major foot problems lately..and am still wondering if its the shoes!
But at $225, I hate to have to dump them, but I will if things dont get better...
I like the double sided entry of the speedplays...I was concerned about getting into single sided pedals in traffic...
Old 10-17-06, 09:06 AM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
specialized carbon pros.... so no.... no tread..... VERY smooth! (my first pair of speedplays were also on specialized road shoes.... but not carbon soled)
Old 10-17-06, 09:12 AM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm staring at my bike in my office right now. It still has the silver R550s. I have the black ones in the trunk. Why do I want Open Pros now? I should just take up fishing or somethign.
Old 10-17-06, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm staring at my bike in my office right now. It still has the silver R550s. I have the black ones in the trunk. Why do I want Open Pros now? I should just take up fishing or somethign.

That can be expensive too, Ive got $20,000 worth of rods, reels, and lures in my back room. Problem is if I sell it I can only get about 60% of that value back. Maybe someone will steal it, its insured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.