Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

XC fork-Best Bang for the buck, used or new.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well Im kinda looking for an upgrade but Im poor so Ill settle for really anything. I have a 1997 Manitou Pro X and its spring/elastomer, its 75mm I think. Its on a 1997 Rockadile SX.

I want a nice shock for XC to soak up all the chatter and be PLUSH. Im not looking for absorbing big hits or downhill so 80mm would be perfect. I guess air is best?

Price- As CHEAP as possible, however Im a sucker for a medium quality shock at a budget price. Used or New.

Scouring Ebay is tough becuse Im not sure if the stuff will fit my bike. And theres this whole new 20mm axle thing and I have Avid lever brakes and it looks like I would have to convert to disc on the front for the new shocks, so Im confused.

thanks
Old 09-06-06, 07:52 PM
DO panic!

Bikes: Scott Speedster, Giant Trance X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swing by your lbs, see what they've got on hand, and ask if any of th employees (or anyone they know) is looking to offload a fork. odds are they do. as far as compatibility goes, the only issues you *should* have are: will you need a threaded or threadless headset? and is the steerer tube on the (new/upgrade) fork going to be long enough for your particular bike? as far as the brakeset goes, as long as the fork you settle on has posts, you won't need to upgrade

happy hunting
Old 09-06-06, 08:36 PM
Noobhead

Bikes: k2 Zed 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
define "cheap"
$100? $200?
Old 09-06-06, 09:07 PM
I=Your Mother

Bikes: 2003 Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You wont find a 20mm axle on any XC forks, thats on more DJ or FR/DH. I dont think you would have to convert to disc. That depends on your wheel not your fork, unless it doesn't have a V-brake mount. Now, you could buy it now, https://cgi.ebay.ca/Rock-Shox-SID-Rac...QQcmdZViewItem
The SID is the best XC fork rock shox makes and that version is the SID race which is a very good fork. You'd be saving around 200$ for this fork.

Last edited by Roxter; 09-06-06 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 05:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxter
You wont find a 20mm axle on any XC forks, thats on more DJ or FR/DH. I dont think you would have to convert to disc. That depends on your wheel not your fork, unless it doesn't have a V-brake mount. Now, you could buy it now, https://cgi.ebay.ca/Rock-Shox-SID-Rac...QQcmdZViewItem
The SID is the best XC fork rock shox makes and that version is the SID race which is a very good fork. You'd be saving around 200$ for this fork.

Holy moly that thing is sweet. Cheap for me is $200 becuase at the $100 price point its too risky getting a POS.

That SID Race dosent have a buy it now price. Im sure its gonna go for $300+.

Thanks for clearing up the brake mount thing.