Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I need an honest opinion.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 06:51 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride a recumbent. The front wheel is 20" & the rear is 26". For most of the years I have owned it I have always ran Primo's on both the front & rear. The bike came with them when I bought it new 5 years ago. The Primo's have always been a very reliable tire. I have never had a problem with them They last a long time, never an issue with the side walls & are 100 psi, etc.

One year I decided I'd switch to the Kenda Kwest for recumbent's. Same PSI, wider tire. Had a major problem with the side walls. They both blew out. I switched back to the Primo's.

This year when it was time to replace my tires I went from the Primo Comet I had on the front & the Primo Racer I had on the back to the Continential Grand Prix's for both. Tonight after I got home the side wall blew out on the front. It seems the Continential side walls are not very durable. Sure the tread is but the side walls seem a little thin. I am not a small guy, 5' 11", 290 pounds. I'm sure this has something to do with it.

Can any of you that know more about tires then I do advise me here? It sounds like I should switch back to the Primo's. For one they seem to last even though I am as heavy as I am & they are a very reliable tire. Am I correct is thinking the Continentials have thinner sidewalls that may not last as long with heavy guys like myself & the Primo's are a better choice? I think this was the problem with the Kenda's I had too.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-06, 06:32 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Do the side walls just "blow out" or are they cut by road hazzards? Cuts are the ususal cause of sidewall failures.

I think you have answered your own question; the Primos have always worked for you and the Kendas and Continentals haven't. Obvious conclusion, go back to the Primos. At your weight, saving a few grams of tire weight seems counter-productive.
Old 09-07-06, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If the Primo's work wel for you, stick with them.
Old 09-07-06, 07:17 AM
yes... You're on my left

Bikes: Specialized FSR XC/Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the primo's... they work for you.
Old 09-07-06, 08:28 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Do the side walls just "blow out" or are they cut by road hazzards? Cuts are the ususal cause of sidewall failures.

I think you have answered your own question; the Primos have always worked for you and the Kendas and Continentals haven't. Obvious conclusion, go back to the Primos. At your weight, saving a few grams of tire weight seems counter-productive.
No the damage was not done because of a road hazard that caused a sidewall injury.
Old 09-07-06, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with the Primos if they work for you. My Burley Hepcat came with Primos, and although they were a fast and good feeling tire, they were extremely fragile. The Schwalbe Marathon Slicks I changed to were mucher tougher, but heavier and slower. Now the bike has Schwalbe Stelvios, which is a very fast yet sturdy tire. However, it might not be enough tire for your weight. My limited experience with Kenda Kwest is not good. They were very light weight, with thin sidewalls.

My Bacchetta Corsa has Stelvios, which I love.

You'd get more responses to this over at BROL.