Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Regional Fixed Gear Forums

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-07-06, 06:34 AM
fuelled by vodka

Bikes: Serotta Nove, Bob Jackson Pista, Cannondale CAA8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the ones I know about are:
* Chicago (chifg.com)
* DC (dcfixed.com)
* Los Angeles (lafixed.com)
* San Francisco Fixed (sffixed.com)

* Australia (fixed.org.au)

But what others exist?

I'm trying to build a simple jump page to help people find the forum for them, it's just going to consist of a single page at https://www.fixedgearforums.com/ and just be a list of links to where the community hang out across the web, so that when people search Google and find this page, they get right to place they want rather than spend ages stuck in a crap forum waiting for someone to kindly whisper a good URL into their ear.

If you know of any I've missed (and I will have missed loads, I only did a simple search), then please PM me and let me know.
Old 09-07-06, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really wish you wouldn't do this. i think most of us on my regional like that we have a degree of privacy, so to speak (meaning that not everyone is checking in on our conversations). we've tried to keep it small so that we all pretty much know eachother, etc. otherwise it just gets to be bikeforums.net/regional.

i still like bf, but i like our little forum also. each has its purpose.
Old 09-07-06, 07:32 AM
a.k.a. ace

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream XP; Dahon Boardwalk (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Msngr
i really wish you wouldn't do this. i think most of us on my regional like that we have a degree of privacy, so to speak (meaning that not everyone is checking in on our conversations). we've tried to keep it small so that we all pretty much know eachother, etc. otherwise it just gets to be bikeforums.net/regional.

i still like bf, but i like our little forum also. each has its purpose.
Well then maybe you should rename your forum and not allow free and open registration. There is nothing wrong with a private, group hug, we all love each other, secret forum , just don't call it a regional forum.

edit: I see that to register on the Chicago forum you have to wait until some forum admin approves your "application". That should help in keeping it as close knit as one would like. I just assumed that by "South Side" in you location you were in Chicago, I therefore did not check the other forums.
Old 09-07-06, 07:50 AM
Me talk pretty one day.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*shrugs*

Toronto Fixed has been plugging along for quite awhile now without any hassles. We talk about whatever we like and the only "intrusion" has been the occasional "hello" from someone coming to town/asking the locals a question, etc.

I know the signal to noise ratio of BF can get pretty bad at times, but it's a shame to completely lose some of the more interesting characters who post here to their regional forums. I'm still waiting to get enticed into showing up at some NYC/CHI event. That's kinda hard when both those groups took off to their own forums and rarely post here now.

Edit: I don't have a good read on it though. If it's a soap opera thing, **** it and let everyone split off. It was nice to have a larger active community for awhile, but not if it's going to revolve around some cliquey drama. The Toronto guys are a pretty laid back (and much smaller group) so I don't have a reference to what the "scene" in other cities is like.
Old 09-07-06, 08:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We still post here.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 09-07-06, 08:55 AM
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
msngr - the ny forum wont stay small with or without a site like buro9's. Trust me on this...
Old 09-07-06, 08:59 AM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, and on the NYC forum we've already established that sasha will ban people without mercy. still, i ain't publishin the address.
Old 09-07-06, 09:08 AM
ganbatte!

Bikes: '06 Vanilla touring, '09 Vanilla cx, Zanconato cx, Moots Psychlo-X RSL prototype, Nagasawa track, Kalavinka track, Black Cat 29er, Cannondale Rize 2 26er, Serotta CRL Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm like the Idi Amin of the online bike forum administrative community. I'll eat your babies.
Old 09-07-06, 09:10 AM
fuelled by vodka

Bikes: Serotta Nove, Bob Jackson Pista, Cannondale CAA8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyefloater
Edit: I don't have a good read on it though. If it's a soap opera thing, **** it and let everyone split off. It was nice to have a larger active community for awhile, but not if it's going to revolve around some cliquey drama. The Toronto guys are a pretty laid back (and much smaller group) so I don't have a reference to what the "scene" in other cities is like.
I don't mean it as a soap opera thing... and if you look at the site you'll see all of the big forums are represented too, that bit was easy because there's only a few of those places and Google returns them all within the first page or two.

It's more that if it's going to happen (and it appears to be), then it would be cool to be able to have a place to quickly lookup the local ones that are harder to find, as well as a way of sharing the big ones for total newbies.

I travel loads and move about a fair bit, very soon I'll be shifting from London to Chicago. The constant in my life is cycling. So this just helps others like me find the forum they want quickly. Be it a forum the size of BFSSFG, or a small one just for Stockholm riders.

I am not telling people where to go, or where not to go. Just presenting a list of all of the places that are notable or sizeable, and letting people make their own minds up by showing them what is out there. For that reason, nothing on FGF has any style or flavour towards any place or size of place, and it's just a factual list of URL's.
Old 09-07-06, 09:18 AM
i believe in me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i personally got tired of BFFG partially because of all the repeats of innane topics, but mostly cause of all the "know-it-alls" who actually don't, all of the egos, and all of the cultural policing by people who probably got into riding fixed about a year ago. on the NYC forum i dont think "hipsters" and who is an isn't a hipster has been mentioned once. there's way less ego and attitude on the NY forum and i'm down with that. i obviously still post/check here though, as do most NYCers.
Old 09-07-06, 09:29 AM
keep it pretend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the local forums just make more sense on a few levels anyway. discussions of local advocacy or political/infrastructural problems are hard to have in a global forum because of physical distance from the issues. certain things are better understood thru direct experience and trying to converse with people who lack that simply because of geography can sometimes become frustrating.

local rides? we all love to ride. we ride together a lot. we hang out. there's no need to clutter up this forum with that stuff. does someone in latvia really care that yoshi and hammer are gonna do hill repeats on thursday and send out an open invitation to join them?

advice? a lot of us have tons of tools and parts. some like ceya, GBD and timesup even have oodles of mechanical experience. it's nice to ask for help locally where you might even be able to borrow a tool, get a quick demonstration or tweak or grab a hard to find part.

plus... there's no censorship and we can be stupid without being berated to take it to some other section of a mammoth site.
Old 09-07-06, 09:33 AM
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
yea! swearing without asterixes is quite liberating. heh.
Old 09-07-06, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Schwinn, Cinelli, Eddy Merckx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha ha ha.. bullocks!

visit www.sffixed.com when you want some fixed love in san francisco. 24/7
Old 09-07-06, 09:53 AM
leading zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sashae
I'm like the Idi Amin of the online bike forum administrative community. I'll eat your babies.
Idi Admin?
Old 09-07-06, 10:31 AM
ganbatte!

Bikes: '06 Vanilla touring, '09 Vanilla cx, Zanconato cx, Moots Psychlo-X RSL prototype, Nagasawa track, Kalavinka track, Black Cat 29er, Cannondale Rize 2 26er, Serotta CRL Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-07-06, 03:27 PM
current member

Bikes: some- variety is good..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Copenhagen forum : https://fixie-king.dk/

We keep it ours by having our own secret language..
Old 09-07-06, 05:29 PM
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://mplsbikelove.com/
Of Proposition 187
Old 09-07-06, 10:39 PM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i think it is sad that a lot of the foundation blocks of this forum have moved on to other forums, some completely - others partially.
But I agree completely that there is way too much drivel that comes into this area of bikeforums. I enjoy the chicago forum. i live in chicago and i keep in touch with people this way - it is easier than making 5 phone calls and just might get others involved in a ride or what have you.
I do not want to see the people who add here leave. I have seen a good deal of faces come and go around here, and I am thankful for those who have stayed and continued to contribute and make this a better place.
"+1" and that stuff aside, I find little of interest around here and am trying to change that. feel free to PM reasonable ideas to improve this section of bikeforums to me and I will see what I can do.
thanks!
Old 09-07-06, 11:12 PM
Not Badass, it's Tim.

Bikes: NJS Peloton, 2002 fuji track, 2002 fuji league (MIA), 2005 bianchi pista, Chopper from NoName Customs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come back here for people like [165], Rancid, Mayo, William, Ceya, Isoto, and many others. I learned much of what I know today from stalking this place. So there is that.

Growth is growth, and I guess I am happy for that.

edit: DW, Sachs, Velocity, Tony, Krypto, and that freak 11.14. Guess I forgot some, hun?