Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

can a Brooks be saved from near death?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 10:42 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Kids!
My 1970 Raleigh Sports has a Brooks B-something-or-other. It isn't totally gone. It is still supple, like a very old bomber jacket, but it is starting to tear at one of the front rivets. The saddle needs to be tensioned, but I am afraid to move forward and thus wrecking the saddle. What should I do to keep this saddle alive as long as possible. I fear oiling it will only make the problem worse. Any thoughts? Are there any products that will bring it back to life and stop the progress of decades of neglect? Should I attempt to sew around the offending rivet?
Thanks!
j
Old 09-07-06, 11:07 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I was faced with the same dilemma about six months ago, and ponied up $125 for a new Brooks Professional. The original (1972) was still servicable, but looked like it had a social disease.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 09-08-06, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by evictionsurplus
Hey Kids!
My 1970 Raleigh Sports has a Brooks B-something-or-other. It isn't totally gone. It is still supple, like a very old bomber jacket, but it is starting to tear at one of the front rivets. The saddle needs to be tensioned, but I am afraid to move forward and thus wrecking the saddle. What should I do to keep this saddle alive as long as possible. I fear oiling it will only make the problem worse. Any thoughts? Are there any products that will bring it back to life and stop the progress of decades of neglect? Should I attempt to sew around the offending rivet?
Thanks!
j
I ripped one that had exactly the problem you describe. Definitely do not tension the saddle,thats what caused mine to finally fail. You can try sewing, and I believe you can also get new leather for them.

There are always tons of them on Ebay for about $20+.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 09-08-06, 10:24 AM
<3s bikes

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stan, send me the saddle you took off. I've ridden way worse. I even drilled holes on the oposing sides of a rip on this very tattered B15 once and laced the tear so it was rideable.
Old 09-08-06, 09:29 PM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the saddle is not good anyway, I would suggest you drill a few holes on both sides at the bottom of the skirt and that you lace it tight. That way, you will hold the skirt in place and will get a bit of added rigidity.

I did that with one such saddle 3 years ago, and it's probably good for another 2 years.
Old 09-09-06, 10:01 AM
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
On a slightly related note, a question.....

I have recently started riding my Paramount with its practically new and unused Brooks saddle. Surprisingly comfortable, the only problem being that it transfers leather dye to the seat of my pants! My Gitane also does this to some extent. Other than getting darker pants, how does one avoid this problem??
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 09-09-06, 10:22 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's the first I've ever heard of dye rubbing off a Brooks. I even dyed my wife's Brooks with leather dye I picked up at the supermarket and none wore off. Are you sure it's dye and not some sort of oil that has been applied to the saddle?

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 09-09-06 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
[...] the only problem being that it transfers leather dye to the seat of my pants! My Gitane also does this to some extent. Other than getting darker pants, how does one avoid this problem??
I've heard the reason cycling shorts are traditionally black was because they don't show the dye that rubs off from the saddle. I have a B-17 that's only ever been treated with Proofide, has about 1000 miles on it, and still transfers dye to a white cloth rubbed on it. I have a feeling it may stop when the saddle is old and well worn but that'll be years. You might try one of the honey colored saddles. Unless you are wearing white pants, whatever dye comes off it is not likely to show as bad as black.