Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

campagnolo 8 speed ergo + sachs freewheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

Picked up a nice Austro-Daimler SLE the other day. I want to put brifters on it, but I really don't want to (yet) upgrade the rear wheel to a cassette hub. I've got a pair of Campagnolo brifters lying around somewhere (I think they are eight speed), so I did some searching and came up with this:

https://www.bikepro.com/products/freewheels/sachs.html

It says its compatible with other index shifting, with a cog width of 1.9mm and a spacing of 3.0mm. That's nearly the same as sheldon brown's spacing guide for 8 speed campagnolo, with a cog width of 1.9mm and a spacing of 3.1mm:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

Am I crazy? Will this work? Should I just pony up the cashish for some Sora shifters and a 7 speed freewheel?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 09-08-06, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Pro is a dead website. You can find Sachs eight speed freewheels on ebay, and elsewhere, but the selection is pretty limited. Shimano also make eight speed freewheels (fitted to the giant ocr 4 amongst others), and the quality of these is supposedly pretty good.
I was going to do more or less the same, with a full Sachs group, but the ergo levers were too hard to get. Pity...
You could probably get a cheap Campag 8-speed rear wheel from somewhere. Miche still make the cogs.
Old 09-08-06, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I saw the freewheels on ebay... So you think the 8 speed freewheel will work just fine with ergo shifting? I figure that when I'm ready for a new set of wheels then I can still use the brifters. Do I need a particular derailleur?

Richard
Old 09-09-06, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I would let you know that I am using a Sachs Aris eight speed free wheel with my Campy Record eight speed ergo shifters an d an eight speed Record rear derailleur on my Medici for years without any poblems at all.
Old 09-09-06, 03:17 PM

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by int19
Yeah I saw the freewheels on ebay... So you think the 8 speed freewheel will work just fine with ergo shifting? I figure that when I'm ready for a new set of wheels then I can still use the brifters. Do I need a particular derailleur?

Richard
i think sachs ergos pull shimano cable pull over campag spacing, but i may be wrong. if this is the case, you would have to connect a sachs ergo lever to a sachs or shimano rear mech, and run it over a campagnolo/miche 8 speed cassette or sachs 8 speed freewheel.
btw, the sachs new success mechs look amazing. i have a front mech at home, which is spare....
also seek more info, but beware, it's confusing
https://www.gatago.com/rec/bicycles/tech/13331115.html