Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do buy a bike, online?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a online dealer who will ship a bike. ( either trek or specialized ). Most dealers I find are alot cheaper than my local dealer but are unable to ship the bike.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-06, 12:46 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think Trek allows for online purchases.
Old 09-13-06, 01:20 PM
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen Specialized either online.

If you're looking for bikes online:
bikesdirect.com
competitivecyclist.com

That's all that come to mind right now, I'll update as I think of more.
Old 09-13-06, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding them online is the easy part. Actually finding a dealer that will sell and ship them is not. I'm usually told "trek and specialized will not let me sales out of my sales area". But there has to be some dealer out there that can.

Examples...

https://www.theskihut.com/summer06/in..._id=5&limit=10

https://mikesbikes.com/page.cfm?pageid=175
Old 09-13-06, 01:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One problem with buying a bike online, is that your not sure how well the bike will fit you. If you have a good local bike shop, they will help you out with fitting the bike, and servicing it as well. dont forget to add in the cost of shipping, plus tune-ups at your lbs. remember, shortly after you get your bike it will need a tune-up after the initial breaking in process.
Old 09-13-06, 02:10 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You do know that they ship the bike in pieces, right?
Old 09-13-06, 03:04 PM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bandit390
Finding them online is the easy part. Actually finding a dealer that will sell and ship them is not. I'm usually told "trek and specialized will not let me sales out of my sales area". But there has to be some dealer out there that can.

Examples...

https://www.theskihut.com/summer06/in..._id=5&limit=10

https://mikesbikes.com/page.cfm?pageid=175
Actually, there doesn't have to be any dealer that can sell either Trek or Specialized (nor most big-name companies) online; it's expressly prohibited in the dealer agreements. If they are caught doing so they will lose their ability to sell that brand.
Old 09-14-06, 11:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dealers can't sell and ship online, if they do they get dropped by the manufacturer. The 2 examples you're (bandit390) showing aren't selling and shipping through online orders. They're like every LBS site. You can order/pay online and then pick it up or even call for that matter, but that's about it. If you're going to do that you might as well go to the LBS in the 1st place.

The only way to get around it is if you find a shop that's going out of business. At that point, it doesn't matter what the manufacturer thinks. You'll probably find stuff getting blown out on ebay too.
Old 09-14-06, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God forbid competition.

Guess I'll wait a little and see if any show on ebay. If nothing shows up, i'll be forced to buy from the local store.
Old 09-14-06, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other thing with buying online is you are relying on your own mechanical abilities to assemble it correctly/safely.
Old 09-14-06, 02:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think people have a number of concerns about buying online:

First, new cyclists should not buy a bike and assemble it themselves unless they are willing to take the risks and are careful enough to doublecheck everything (cables, housings, chain length, tightness of screws). Most new cyclists arn't this experienced, because its not just checking once the bike is assembled, its retightening cables after 50-100 miles of riding as many parts break in and stretch slightly.

Second, bikes are somewhat like clothes -- they come in sizes and some parts (like cleats) needed fitted correctly so you don't get problems with knees later on. Buying a bike from mail-order (or a low department store bike) may force you to throw more money at it later on than buying a decent bike initially.

Third, bikes are delicate. If packed improperly, you might have components like wheels going out of true, bent derailleurs and forks, and other mishaps which will bite you after you accepted delivery.

If the LBS in your area isn't good, have you considered driving to another town, checking there? Usually there is some LBS in a geographical region who will take good care of you.