Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My bits are taking a real hammering for some reason

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For about the past week or so, I thought I had a serious stomach virus, but I think my testicles are just taking a beating while I'm riding. Although it does not really feel like it while I'm actually riding.
My gut feels like I've been kicked in the cojones almost constantly now.

I have my seat adjusted for a very slight up-tilt, which was the most comfortable. I wear just plain baggy shorts while riding. Will a cup or strap alleviate this problem?
Old 09-13-06, 02:22 PM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would stop riding until you figure it out. There was someone on the forums a while back who had torsion -- which you do not want.
Old 09-13-06, 02:43 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a damn good reason most bikers wear tight pants. Time for a padded lycra short/bib.

Also, tilt the seat nose down a smidgen (not much) and see if that helps.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-13-06, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really hoping to not stop riding, if I can help it. Other than this problem, I feel better now than I have in years.

I'll try tilting the seat downward a bit. Are there lycra undershorts or some such? I really do not want to wear lycra outerwear if I can help it. Nothing wrong with lycra or the people who wear it, it just does not appeal to me.

What is torsion, BTW?
Old 09-13-06, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
You can wear lycra bikeshorts under the shorts you currently use. Be careful that you don't get bike shorts with a chamois that are too tight for you, as that can result in something similar occurring, or worse -- development of a "third" testicle.

It is likely that if you don't have any support under your current shorts, that your testicles are moving around much more than they should, putting stress on the vas which in turn react to the rough-up treatment further into your gut. Bike shorts without a chamois provide the support, and are cooler under overshorts.

All in my own experience...
Old 09-13-06, 08:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikemck
I'm really hoping to not stop riding, if I can help it. Other than this problem, I feel better now than I have in years.

I'll try tilting the seat downward a bit. Are there lycra undershorts or some such? I really do not want to wear lycra outerwear if I can help it. Nothing wrong with lycra or the people who wear it, it just does not appeal to me.

What is torsion, BTW?
You can mountain biking shorts that look like normal shorts but are built like bike shorts.

Info on a torsion here:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/000517.htm

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 09-13-06, 09:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe your seat is too high. Lower it a bit and see ifthere is a difference. I feel a difference even just wearing differ shorts. Maybe your huevos or smashing while you rock side ot side reaching for the pedals.
Old 09-13-06, 09:15 PM
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it is too painful I would stop riding for awhile & perhaps see a doctor. As stated you could try tilting the seat down a little & / or try some bike shorts.

Originally Posted by Rowan
You can wear lycra bikeshorts under the shorts you currently use. Be careful that you don't get bike shorts with a chamois that are too tight for you, as that can result in something similar occurring, or worse -- development of a "third" testicle.

Seriously, what do you mean 3rd testicle?
Old 09-13-06, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
padded shorts of some kind will most likely solve your problem... I've gotten so used to them that I can't ride without em anymore

REI makes baggy MTB shorts with padded chamoises (sp?) ... that's what I use during the warm months... they even have side pockets for your keys

https://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
Old 09-14-06, 08:19 AM

Bikes: cove & trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you had a vasectomy in the last while? Ever since mine- I've been predisposed to increased discomfort on occasion. Sometimes on the bike sometimes just for no apparent reason- thinking the MDs may have gotten too ambitious with the scalpel??? No other uh um problems to speak but I now have the semen equivalent of N/A Beer.
Old 09-14-06, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidLee
Seriously, what do you mean 3rd testicle? .

The doctor informed me that a lump I discovered after PBP-2003 and during a tour across Northern Europe was due to irritation of the vas where it connects to the testicle. The vas is the bit of tubing that connects the testicle to the body and, I think, is the bit cut and sealed in a vasectomy (hence vas-ectomy).

Pedalling in the bikeshorts I had at the time meant what must have been excessive movement of the testicle in question, and it tugged on the vas. The lump actually grows to be quite a size, and can even double the size of the original testicle... and feels like another one. Hence the description of a "third" testicle. The problem also can occur after a vasectomy because the vas becomes irritated (annoyed???).

The doctor said there wasn't anything to be done, then related how an Italian family had as its symbol, three balls for this very reason.
Old 09-14-06, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you, I would stop riding until the pain goes away. Once it does, try some easy riding using the tips others have posted. You can also try a very firm saddle that forces most of your weight onto your sit bones. I switched to a Specialized Toupe - hard as a rock, but the only pain I have now is on my sit bones, and I figure it's just a matter of time until the bones get accustomed to the new saddle.
Old 09-14-06, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I would apply a hot poultice consisting of Cayenne Pepper and Ben Gay after every ride and see if that makes it feel better.