Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Weight Loss: Post Your Before and After Pics Here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 04:19 PM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
This^^^^^
is some of the most powerful motivation that I have. We take an oath or promise to among other things keep ourselves physically strong; it is best to lead by example.
Don't forget that part of being mentally awake means recognizing when you need to make a change.

I'm an Eagle Scout by the way
Old 10-20-11, 05:05 PM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wxduff
Don't forget that part of being mentally awake means recognizing when you need to make a change.

I'm an Eagle Scout by the way
Dude, that's awesome, I was in Scouting too!

I almost feel funny posting in this thread, since I was barely a Clyde to start with, but here goes.
215 pounds, and my first bike:

170 pounds, 4000 miles later, and my current bike:
Old 10-20-11, 10:14 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
Dude, that's awesome, I was in Scouting too!

I almost feel funny posting in this thread, since I was barely a Clyde to start with, but here goes.
215 pounds, and my first bike:

170 pounds, 4000 miles later, and my current bike:
Take it from this failed Cub scout that your transformation is impressive. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Old 10-21-11, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started at 350lbs in January, 233lbs this morning! Over 3,000 miles this year,here is a side by side my wife made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sidebyside.jpg (49.1 KB, 475 views)

Last edited by Brian Whitten; 10-21-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Checking In!!!!

Hey all! I haven't checked in for a few months so I thought I'd take a minute to let you know how things are going. I'm still working at the weight loss thing. I was 257.8lbs in May of 2010. I am now at 180.6 lbs. and still dropping. I've put 3500 miles on my road bike this year and am also running quite a bit. I participated in the Salt Lake City Half Marathon in April of this year. Ran the whole thing in 2:12. I participated in 4 full century rides throughout the summer (even after being hit by a car and breaking a rib, shoulder and pelvis). I am currently training to participate in a half ironman triathlon in Bend, Oregon in June of next year! Wish me luck!!!!
Old 10-21-11, 01:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's awesome, congrats on the progress. I hope I'm as successful.
Old 10-21-11, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just wandered onto this thread cos it has intrigued me for some time.

WOW! is all I can say! Amazing and fabulous best describes what you guys have achieved.

I have to ask, did the majority of people simply cycle and diet? Cycle alone? Cycle, diet and gym? I ask because I am in no way a gym bunny, simply can't stand it.

Roughly 77kg so not overweight, but fat in all the wrong places and have manifestly less than stellar fitness. Keen to get fit through cycling if I can.

Keep it up guys, truly inspiring.
Old 10-21-11, 04:24 PM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For me, it was just diet and riding.
Old 10-21-11, 09:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BionicChris
May 2010:

September 2011:
come on!
this is another guy
congrats dude you look awesome.
Old 11-09-11, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i never took any pictures. i am down 40lbs since march. started at 255 and now weigh about 213. i didnt really diet...just ate less and worked my ass off. ended up riding 2000miles since i started.
Old 11-24-11, 08:44 PM
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Air
Try diet soda? Allow yourself to have a few a week, but keep track and take something else away. I use fitday.com to see what some of this stuff actually costs me; usually is enough for me to put it down!

I accidentally broke myself of my soda habit when I got food poisoning (bad Mexican) after drinking Dr. Pepper - couldn't drink the stuff afterwards for a long time!

My addiction is food. All kinds. Sigh....

Great job y'll!

I hit about 280 in April which was almost an all time high. Started biking, I'm down to about 260 +-2 and can't seem to drop below (since July). Pants and shirts are looser but can't get past that hump. Would like to be down to 220 before the year's end but I'll have to push that back.
That is so weird.. the same thing happened to me. Then I foolishly had another one a week later, and after taking a sip I got tunnel vision and almost blacked out. Found out I had a stomach ulcer ( ). I still drink soda, but when I do it is diet and that is only one every few days. I have almost replaced soda with unsweetened ice tea with lemon. It taste better, doesn't cause ulcers, and it actually moderately healthy without the sugar.
Old 12-07-11, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

former powerlifter (and pirate ) @ #275. had to quit due to pain. tough to have the muscle go soft. hovered around #230-220 for years, but got into biking (cruisers / fixed), fencing and bodyweight exercises (just finished the "100 Pushups" challenge). current range is 200-205. but i'm 42 and in better shape overall than when i was 30.

i eat as i please. just less, and with the freshest ingredients possible. i cook for myself as much as i can and avoid processed food/hfcs/etc. hanging out w/ Europeans really helped change my eating habits.

i keep index cards with my goal weight (190) in large numbers near my usual "sit down" spots: living room, computer, work desk.
Old 12-18-11, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How I lost 90 pounds on the "no diet" diet

I'm 54.

Rode a bunch and did quite a bit of touring in the 1970s as a teenager... Didn't ride more than 100 total miles in the past 30 years.
I was 285 pounds in October 2009, walking bent-over with a cane and terrible left hip and leg pain. I had a successful L4~L5 disc hernia operation on my spine on December the 7th 2009 which relieved the pressure on the nerves going into my left leg. That got me off the walking cane.

Then after a few weeks to heal and getting the surgeon's OK, I Immediately started walking and worked my way up to 5 miles every day and eating right. Lost 90 pounds in about eight months time. Was entering 5k walk-a-thons and winning them all the time.
But by late summer of 2010 I got a painful case of Plantar fasciitis in my left foot that seriously cramped my style. I got some orthotic shoe inserts and let it heal all last winter while tuning-up my vintage bikes.

When it finally stopped raining in mid-June this year, l weighed about 210 pounds and got on my Paramount and worked my way up to almost daily 25 mile rides. Joined the local bike club in August and did 500 miles with them in two months this fall. Rode at least 1000 miles from June to November of this year. I haven't done a century ride yet but can knock off 50 miles like nothing.

(I'm 6 feet tall and built like a Viking so 195~200 is as light as I am going to be. Was down to 195 in October but I weigh 200 now)
I'm not a very good climber and struggle into the prairie head-wind. I often lose ground to the rest of the club group on these hills. But have no problem catching them once it flattens out. but I think that weak climbing is part of weighing 200 pounds? No matter how strong I get, I still have to haul my 200 pound body up that hill? I feel strong, seem to have good Cardio and recover my wind very quickly. My group members (especially the ladies) use me for a draft leader. Guess I am quite the wind block. I'm really looking forward to a whole summer of riding in 2012 to see how strong I can get.

Now it is winter and I am having withdrawal symptoms. Waking up at night thinking about biking.

I have two Paramounts that I ride, but just picked up an all Campy 1987 Cannondale "team comp" Going to try it out next spring to lighten-up on the Paramounts as I am feeing guilty for riding them so much.. Being that they are pretty much pristine original paint survivors.

How I lost 90 pounds.
No Coke, no fast food, almost nothing fried, almost no bread. I also gave up Caffeine at the same time. My doctor took me off all medications!

I had slightly high blood pressure, the biking made me real strong and at one point my resting BPM was 40. The doc freaked-out and took me off the daily 25mg Toprol Xm that very day. One week later I tested at 55bpm resting rate and normal blood pressure. He calls me "Lance Armstrong"... I have never been a smoker.

My cholesterol was 245, is now 120.

Loving the no drug or substance lifestyle.

BUT - I know I am a food addict, (stress eater) and after getting real strong on the bike I began to be able to eat again as I was burning so many calories. Now I am sitting here on the couch surfing the Internet in my living room, outside is the windy winter Indiana prairie.

The mathematical equation for a fat stress eater - biking = exercise + less stress = huge weight loss

Two years into this life-style change I feel better now than I have since my early 20s and weigh less than any time in my adult life. I was a size 42 pant, now a 36.

Anyhoo... That's my 50+ story of losing weight, getting off the meds, getting my back fixed and returning to the sport of my youth.

left image December 2009, right image December 2010

Left image November 2009, right image November 2010

August 2011 with my 1972 P-15 Paramount. (The shirt is one of my old ones, too big now)

Typical 360 calorie lunch
Old 12-18-11, 07:07 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great story Hoss! The paramount is lovely, I've got an old green one that was my little brother's bike, up in the barn at our old family home. But I have to say, Yoplait light is nasty!
Old 12-19-11, 02:44 PM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hoss, you lost weight and you lost years! You look years younger in your after pix.
Old 12-27-11, 04:32 PM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just hit 50lbs lost. pretty happy about that
Old 12-28-11, 08:02 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeydentity
Way to go! Keep it up!
Old 12-28-11, 06:08 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeydentity
Wow your starting and goal weights are almost exactly the same as mine! Go for it!
Old 12-30-11, 10:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Before and after. May 2009, to July 2010.
Old 12-30-11, 05:48 PM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Quick 3 hybrid-road conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
Wow your starting and goal weights are almost exactly the same as mine! Go for it!
but you're winning!
Old 01-07-12, 11:54 PM

Bikes: 2012 Gravity Comp X (bikes direct bike), 2002 Trek Fuel 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
August 2009, maybe 310 pounds?

Moved to Minneapolis area in October of that year, and started riding spring 2010 (along with walking, weight training, and dieting) and got myself to this:

May 2011, 200ish pounds.

And since becoming a truck driver that month, I'm back up to 250 pounds But hey, I've done it before, I'm hoping I can do it again.
Old 01-08-12, 07:45 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninja Geoff

And since becoming a truck driver that month, I'm back up to 250 pounds But hey, I've done it before, I'm hoping I can do it again.
I also have a mostly sedentary job, (sitting at my desk working on web sites, talking on the phone, and answering emails all day) this makes it very difficult to keep the weight off. I have a super-nice tread-mill and Schwinn Aire-dyne sitting right here in the office, and even have a TV/DVD player there. But find treadmill-time to be the most boring thing on earth. And usually as soon as I get going, someone needs to speak to me on the phone.
This winter is not half over and I have gained some weight.
(And lost some as well, but I am up 5~7 pounds since riding season wound-down in Early November, Europe two weeks, the holidays, we all know the drill. grrrrr.)

Until I got back into bikes last spring, the weight loss was a real struggle. (I was walking a 5k every day weather permitting) Once I started to pedal, the weight just fell off me.

I know some truck driver friends, kind of difficult to park the rig and go exercise. I guess it can be done, but the on-the-road food, seems everything works against a healthy life-style
Best wishes for continued success.

Last edited by Hoss Cartright; 01-08-12 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 10:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some before and after pics

A new year a new me

Before: December 2010 @ 282lbs

Midway: June 2011

Present: Jan 2012 @ 188lbs

It was tough, I did a whole life style change. I was a smoker with high cholesterol. The eye-opener for me was that my doctor threaten to put me on medication for my high cholesterol and also the fact that I may be coming down with diabetes.

I quite smoking, switched to organic foods, limited intake of red meat, eliminated corn, increased consumption of fruits and vegetables and joined Livestrong. I use a heart rate monitor to monitor my calorie burn.
Old 01-19-12, 06:10 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Cog_Zombie - great job! You look like a pro-cyclist in the last 2 pics. And the lady is easy on the eyes too. I'm in a similar boat. I have high cholesterol and I'm about 65+ lbs overweight. I am on the cholesterol meds, but I've recently switched to a vegan diet and I feel fantastic. I've never had so much energy and the weight is dropping off. I'm hoping to get off the meds by this summer. My goal is to stay consistent with the food (I hate the word diet) and exercise and lose the weight. Thanks for posting the pics - they are an inspiration to us folks still struggling with the weight loss.

Originally Posted by Cog_Zombie
A new year a new me

Before: December 2010 @ 282lbs

Midway: June 2011

Present: Jan 2012 @ 188lbs

It was tough, I did a whole life style change. I was a smoker with high cholesterol. The eye-opener for me was that my doctor threaten to put me on medication for my high cholesterol and also the fact that I may be coming down with diabetes.

I quite smoking, switched to organic foods, limited intake of red meat, eliminated corn, increased consumption of fruits and vegetables and joined Livestrong. I use a heart rate monitor to monitor my calorie burn.

Old 01-27-12, 12:22 PM

Bikes: 2011 Diamondback Edgewood LX, 2008 Schwinn Prelude Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took me a while, but I finally got through the entire thread. Congrats to all of you. Wonderful perseverence on your part.

I also can stand to lose quite a bit of weight, and have been making steady progress since I started back commuting and weekend riding at the first of the year. Sorry to say I don't have pics...yet...but I will attempt to get some posted soon.

I started at 230 and my goal is 185. Since the first of the year I am down to 221.

I just wanted to let you all know what an inspiration you have been to me today...it really makes me want to get out there and ride as often as I can.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.