Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

suicide pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

suicide pedals

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 04:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
suicide pedals

Well I just got those clipless pedals and they don't feel to bad. I've gone about 3 blocks already and no problems,but I know I probably will.George
Old 09-16-06, 04:24 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
To see how good they are- Try pedalling on on the upstroke of the leg- It can now be done with ease but watch out for the new muscles that you will find. Don't do it for too long but eventually- you will get into pedalling in circles and not only on the down stroke. You will also shortly find out about the falling down syndrome that does not involve any strong beverages. Just hope that you do it in front of a crowd of strangers and not your neighbours or riding partners.
It has happened to all of us but please, please, please, tell us about it on the forum so we can all gloat and say we told you it would happen.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-16-06, 05:19 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naaaaaa.... if you've ridden them 3 blocks already your fine. Forget about it, you aren't going to fall....
Old 09-16-06, 05:57 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I hesitate to change to clipless binders without making the change on all 5 bikes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-16-06, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I hesitate to change to clipless binders without making the change on all 5 bikes.
smart move. Once you change one, change them all.
Old 09-16-06, 06:59 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
And once you change, you will see how great they are. It's the one modern component I really enjoy on my vintage rides. I wish I could buy a set for my '66 Collegiate. George, I use the SPD system. I've never fallen because of the pedals. Now if we can get your Brooks saddle issues settled.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-16-06, 07:33 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Why? Different pedals for different bikes is OK. I have Look pedals on the tandem and the main road bike, Egg beaters on the MTB, platforms and toe clips on the all-around road bike.
Nothing wrong with making them all alike if that's what you want to do, but don't hold off on changing one bike because of wanting to do them all. For that matter, you can move the pedals from bike to bike.
Old 09-16-06, 08:13 PM

Pastorbob, they said the saddle wasn't to narrow that I am sitting to far back.When I get it back(Monday I hope) I'm going to do all the adjustments again and if I cant get it squared away I'm thinking about going to get a bike fit.I measured from the handlebars to where the sit bones are suppose to be on the stock seat and I got 29". That's what I'm going for with the B17. Thanks again George.
Old 09-17-06, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Why? Different pedals for different bikes is OK. I have Look pedals on the tandem and the main road bike, Egg beaters on the MTB, platforms and toe clips on the all-around road bike.
Nothing wrong with making them all alike if that's what you want to do, but don't hold off on changing one bike because of wanting to do them all. For that matter, you can move the pedals from bike to bike.
I'm with You BD! Except if you take the bike elsewere to ride, make sure you take the same type clip/shoes combo. I use Speedplays, SPD, Look & cage.
Old 09-17-06, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always reccomend putting the bike on a trainer and just practicing "clipping out". Do it over and over till you build up a bit of muscle memory.
Old 09-17-06, 12:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grampy™
Naaaaaa.... if you've ridden them 3 blocks already your fine. Forget about it, you aren't going to fall....
Forget about them indeed........which you will at a stop..........which you will then fall........which afterwards you will from then on mostly remember them so you fall very seldom.
Old 09-18-06, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
I ride platform pedals on my non-recumbents and SPDs on the 'bents. Jane won't ride more than a couple of miles without her SPDs on any bike, so she has Shimano M324s on the bikes she uses around the neighborhood.

We both have the tension backed off to the minimum and never accidentally pull out. One problem some people have with releasing is when the sole of your shoe contacts the release mechanism. We cut a bevel on the back end of the cleat hole to prevent this.
Old 09-18-06, 02:44 PM

I just tightened the setting in 1 full turn and everything seems to be working fine. I don't know when I should take it up more than that. I guess when my foot slips out of the pedals.George
Old 09-18-06, 03:06 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by George McClusky
I just tightened the setting in 1 full turn and everything seems to be working fine. I don't know when I should take it up more than that. I guess when my foot slips out of the pedals.George
Bingo! That is a very good sign that they need a bit more!
Old 09-19-06, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The why for me and probably others is that we don't want to deal with multiple pairs of shoes. I do use two systems, one on the MTB (SPD) and one on the road bike (Look). When I get a touring bike it will probably have SPD's. Two cleat systems is bad enough, I wouldn't want more.

Pete
Old 09-20-06, 09:53 PM
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I fell a couple of times; I won't say exactly how many times.
Even now, a couple of years later, I periodically set myself up for a fall and see it coming just in time.
It can still happen.
Old 09-22-06, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Forget about them indeed........which you will at a stop..........which you will then fall........which afterwards you will from then on mostly remember them so you fall very seldom.
Yep! Valuable training exersize! Why do I have to learn everything the hard way?
Old 09-23-06, 07:48 AM

I have always thought that clips and straps were harder to deal with than clipless pedals and I wouldn't even consider having no retension system on a bike that was used for much more than buzzing around the neighborhood.

I don't think I ever just stopped and fell over due to clipless pedals. I started with them on my mountain bike back when SPD's first came out. I did have a few controlled falls in tricky technical climbing situations, mainly because I refused to give up on making some move until too late. This was only in the first week or two and was always a controlled fall against a dirt bank or something.

When I have crashed with clipless pedals on, it was never a problem that I was clipped in. I have never fallen on a road bike because I forgot to clip out. I guess it was second nature by the time I had them on a road bike.

I have come closer to injuring myself because I clipped out accidentally. I don't understand the fuss or worry about going clipless.

Pete
Old 09-23-06, 07:55 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1

I don't think I ever just stopped and fell over due to clipless pedals.

I have come closer to injuring myself because I clipped out accidentally. I don't understand the fuss or worry about going clipless.

Pete

Man, have you ever just put a jinx on yourself!
Old 09-23-06, 12:05 PM

I hope not!

Originally Posted by NOS88
Man, have you ever just put a jinx on yourself!
Yeah I thought about that before I clicked "Submit Reply", and decided it was silly and sent it any way.

I have been riding clipless since whatever year SPD's came out so it is pretty second nature now. So I am not too worried.

I will let you know if I fall over any time soon

Pete
Old 09-30-06, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hate to say this, but you almost certainly will fall at some point with clipless . . . but probably when you've come to a stop. only your pride will be hurt - - but clipless is the only way to go. you're most vulnerable when you have to stop suddenly for some reason - - and you're in a high gear and haven't had time to unclip.
Old 09-30-06, 02:51 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
The why for me and probably others is that we don't want to deal with multiple pairs of shoes. I do use two systems, one on the MTB (SPD) and one on the road bike (Look). When I get a touring bike it will probably have SPD's. Two cleat systems is bad enough, I wouldn't want more.

Pete
I don't really see any disagreement in what we are saying. I suggested that the OP didn't need to have clipless pedals on all his bikes before putting them on one.
I also use two systems, Egg Beaters for MTB and Look for road. I don't think I would want to use the same shoes for those two kinds of riding anyway, so 2 pairs of shoes is not a problem. I would probably go with some version of Egg Beaters for consistency on a touring bike or my beater bike if I decided to go clipless there. The walking around advantages, which are a non-issue for me on the road bike, would matter more on a touring bike or the around town bike. The platform and clip pedals currently on the beater don't need special shoes. I just wear my sneakers.
Old 09-30-06, 05:39 PM

I like the clipless pedals but I like the idea of the toe clips as well. I guess the shoes are the biggest issue.With the toe clips I can just jump on and go.I do have the Shimano shoes with the reset clips but I got a few pair of shoes that feel a lot better and again I can just get on and go.George
Old 09-30-06, 05:51 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I've been using clipless on my road bike(s) for several months now and have never fallen due to the pedals.
I've also changed my MTB to clipless. As far as falling due to the clipless, well, let's not go there.
Old 09-30-06, 05:58 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's a lot of oldtimers on this sub-list, but I don't detect too many that have been riding on the track since the 70's. Otherwise, somebody would have mentioned that Adidas, for a brief time in the 70's, actually sold a pedal that we all called the "Suicide Pedal." This was the M-71, and I think it was a response to the need for track sprinters to have a pedal attachment that did not come loose under any circumstances!

Back then, we all used toe clips and straps, but sprinters used toe clips with two sets of straps. Some sprinters, like Australian John Nicholson, actually bolted their shoes to the pedals. They'd arrive at the start line in sandals, then they'd spend time getting on the bike, getting their feet into the shoes, and tieing in. If these guys crashed, they were pretty well screwed; the bike would not release from their feet.

So Adidas came out with a pedal and cleat system, the M-71. You didn't clip in, you slid the cleat into the receptacle on the pedal, and then you locked in by pressing in a tab. There was no way to release the tab while riding, unless you were pedaling very slowly. Hence, suicide pedals.

Nowadays, track sprinters attach toe straps to their clipless pedals for additional security.

- L.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.