Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

15 year old killed in oklahoma MS150

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 02:08 PM
gentry

Bikes: Not enough space here.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory....A21_BAtee28561
Old 09-17-06, 02:15 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Charlie Vogann, 15, was pronounced dead at the scene after the bicycle he was riding collided with a semi truck that was not pulling a trailer, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.
Journalism at its best.. m*****f****rs...

They should've had someone there looking out for the cyclists. On the other hand, the kid should've looked both ways.
Old 09-17-06, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is really sad.

But I dont understand what is wrong with the article.
Is this not the way it happened?
Old 09-17-06, 03:27 PM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 09-17-06, 05:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those who do not want to follow the link:

Tulsaworld.com News
BA teen dies in road accident while on bike tour fundraiser
By CLIFTON ADCOCK World Staff Writer
9/17/2006

OKAY -- A Broken Arrow teen was killed Saturday after being struck by a semi while riding in the 21st annual MS 150 bike tour in Wagoner County.

Charlie Vogann, 15, was pronounced dead at the scene after the bicycle he was riding collided with a semi truck that was not pulling a trailer, according to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

Troopers reported that at around 1:20 p.m. Vogann failed to yield at a stop sign at the intersection of Oklahoma 16 and Old Porter Road, approximately one mile south of Okay.

Vogann turned from the county road into the path of the semi, which was headed north on Oklahoma 16, struck the driver-side rear axle of a 2007 Peterbilt and was thrown approximately 164 feet, according to the OHP.

Vogann was wearing a helmet when the accident occurred, troopers reported.

The driver of the truck, Manciel Carter, 56, of Cornith, Miss., and his passenger, Tracie Lane, 23, of Muskogee were not injured.

Vogann was one of more than 660 cyclists and volunteers for the MS 150, a two-day fundraising tour that is traveling this year from Tulsa to Camp Gruber and back, said Paula Cortner, president of the Oklahoma Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Cortner said the

intersection was manned by a safety volunteer, who is responsible for keeping a lookout for bicyclists.

"Our biggest concern is for the family of the cyclist," she said. "Safety is the No. 1 priority with this event. It's a very difficult incident for all of us. It's very difficult for the all of the cyclists and volunteers."

Cortner said an EMSA unit following the cyclists was the first to respond to the accident.

The fatality is the first in the event's 21 years, she said.

A professional group counselor was available for cyclists and volunteers as they made an overnight stop at Camp Gruber in Muskogee County.

Cortner said the group planned to finish the ride Sunday.

"In honor of all the cyclists and volunteers and people who worked on this for a year's time, we want to continue tomorrow," Cortner said Saturday night.
Old 09-17-06, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toejam
The driver of the truck, Manciel Carter, 56, of Cornith, Miss., and his passenger, Tracie Lane, 23, of Muskogee were not injured.
Well duh.

Like one day we will read a story that says something like "bicyclist collides with truck, bicyclist fine, but truck driver injured".
Old 09-17-06, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Journalism at its best.. m*****f****rs...

They should've had someone there looking out for the cyclists. On the other hand, the kid should've looked both ways.
There was a volunteer at that intersection, according to the article. Most likely the person had a flag to show the riders which direction to make a turn in the route.

My wishes for healing go with his family, hoping they can remember all the good moments he brought to those around him.
Old 09-17-06, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on this ride. I was further ahead when the accident happened. There were voluteers at every major interesction and I felt the route was very safe. From what I have heard and seen reported I think we are going to have to own this one. A cyclist made a mistake and paid a terrible price.

I don't pray, but my thoughts are with the family and I hope the rest of you keep this accident in mind and stay vigilant out there.
Old 09-18-06, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think anyone without a driver's license should do these big mass start rides. I've ridden in MS150 ambulances, picking up busted-up children, and I've seen more than I ever want to see again.
Old 09-18-06, 11:14 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
What is the exact role of the volunteers at the intersection? How do they indicate which direction to go without also inadvertently indicating it is clear to go? Do they hand signal a stop, then only after cyclist is stopped point in direction so as to reenforce legal stop requirement, or do they wave cylists on showing which direction to go?
Al
Old 09-18-06, 12:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kf5nd
I don't think anyone without a driver's license should do these big mass start rides. I've ridden in MS150 ambulances, picking up busted-up children, and I've seen more than I ever want to see again.
I disagree. As long as the kid is used to riding with bike and car traffic there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-18-06, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very few 15 year olds on these rides are used to riding in car traffic

Originally Posted by bikebuddha
I disagree. As long as the kid is used to riding with bike and car traffic there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-18-06, 01:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More should be. When I was a kid I rode everywhere on the street.
Old 09-18-06, 07:47 PM
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
What is the exact role of the volunteers at the intersection? How do they indicate which direction to go without also inadvertently indicating it is clear to go? Do they hand signal a stop, then only after cyclist is stopped point in direction so as to reenforce legal stop requirement, or do they wave cylists on showing which direction to go?
Al
My heart goes out to the families involved in this tragedy.

You bring up a valid point. I am going to bring this up in the planning meeting on Wednesday so that we can teach our volunteers correct behaviors for the ride in three weeks. I have not trained the volunteers yet, only the SAG drivers...
Old 09-18-06, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Al

I drove SAG for the MS 150 ride near Tahoe last weekend. No problems there. I've been on several organized rides where the volunteers stationed at stop signs loudly remind people to stop at the stop signs. About half the cyclists usually listen to them.
Old 09-18-06, 10:29 PM
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It depends on how they're taught to ride on the street. I have no issues with my 14 and 12 year olds riding in the street. They could probably pass the drivers test right now, and know most the traffic laws. Now, my 9yo, he's in training and I wouldn't take him on any major ride, but the older two, no problem.
Old 09-19-06, 08:29 AM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on this ride as well and agree with WorldPax on the safety of the route and owning this one. I've been praying for the family and safety volunteers involved.
Old 09-19-06, 09:43 AM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode in the City to Shore NJ MS150 this past weekend and was amazed at how many crashes there were. There were 7000 cyclists total.

I saw three crashes myself and two involved a car. Both looked quite serious.

I also encountered numerous intersections where the police or the volunteers were either not paying attention or failed to signal at all, or had very subtle and confusing signals. I wasn't the only one who thought this. On two occasions, I and a group of riders I was with, were given the all clear, then had to slam on my brakes at the last second as a car approached the intersection.

All in all, it should have been safer than it was. The second day was even worse. It was like they abandoned us. There were many uncontrolled intersections as well as a general malaise on the part of the volunteers or cops.
Old 09-19-06, 01:41 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I've seen a lot of adults, presumably with driver's licenses that shouldn't be riding around others. On the other hand I know kids that have ridden a lot in fast group rides, and races that are safer bike handlers than a lot of the adults on an MS rides. Personally I've done MS 150 rides with my daughter, and I can guarantee you she's a safer, better, (and faster) rider than the average MS rider. I don't thinks its necessarily age dependent.
Old 09-19-06, 03:43 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a young girl killed in a ride for the same illness (I think) in NC this past weekend as well. Those who suffered the losses can partially console themselves by reflecting on the supremely honorable causes in which their loved ones were engaged, no matter the remaining circumstance of the stories.