Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I need to kick my self in gear

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 11:23 AM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

This is a simillar topic posted all over the place I just wanted to share with you how bad it has gotten for me I used to ride last year all kinds of weather no matter what same with this summer last couple weeks I have had this attitude

I got up today at 7:00 I was like I will ride into campus 17 miles away. Do my homework all day have tutors proofread it. I worked on my homework at home had a neighbor looked over it I thought well at least I will ride downtown, and ride arround. Then have the shop look at some clicking noise that is coming from the rear wheel. Then work called, and said I had to go pick up something in the same area which I could easlily do on a bike. I was like I will put the bike in the back of the road whale, and then ride downtown. Now I am thinking of just changing out of bike shorts, and putting work cloths on then picking up said item. Then weight to later to get bike looked at I am so lazy!
Old 09-19-06, 11:26 AM
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um.

Learn to fix your bike yourself!
Old 09-19-06, 11:43 AM
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So why don't you just ride? I don't understand the problem.

BTW your post would probably be much easier to read with some carefully placed punctuation.
Old 09-19-06, 11:48 AM
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I supposed to be confused?
Old 09-19-06, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
eh? My head just exploded.
um...... manage your life? Don't let it manage you?
Old 09-19-06, 01:43 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once you're on your bike, there's no turning back. So get on it and leave the house. Everything works itself out from there.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 09-19-06, 01:56 PM
Bicycle built for 5

Bikes: '94 Mongoose IBOC Comp / '00 Burley Duet w/ Piccolo & D'Lite / '05 Redline Conquest Disc-R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do they teach grammar, spelling and sentence structure at your college? Please clarify the question and perhaps we'll find a solution.
Old 09-19-06, 02:03 PM
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a headache now....great.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 09-19-06, 02:18 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwrobe1
I got a headache now....great.
Sorry about the grammer, and the general abuse of your time. I was ranting about how lazy I am. What systems do you use to get your self started. I heard some people put a dollar in the jar everytime they ride. Also after almost getting hit twice I seem to talk my self out of it even more. When it is raining, and I just don't feel like riding anymore. I could really use some one to yell at me or something. I probally should also invest in a good set of grammar books
Old 09-19-06, 02:20 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
English class in college took care of that for me

I was unhappy with my physical appearance. Watching my waist line diminish was all the incentive I needed. Then watching my calves and quads grow... now I am simply addicted. No motivation needed.
Old 09-19-06, 02:24 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
English class in college took care of that for me

I was unhappy with my physical appearance. Watching my waist line diminish was all the incentive I needed. Then watching my calves and quads grow... now I am simply addicted. No motivation needed.
I am on my third college class of english. I have passed each one with a B either college is poor at grammar or I am not learning
Old 09-19-06, 02:29 PM
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanparrish
I was ranting about how lazy I am. What systems do you use to get your self started. ... When it is raining, and I just don't feel like riding anymore. I could really use some one to yell at me or something.
I'm the type of person that is motivated by "having something to shoot for"...I'm also your typical Type-A personality kind-of person, along with being %100 Polish...laziness has never been a problem for me.

Don't worry about not wanting to ride in the rain...I haven't "mastered" that yet either.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 09-19-06, 02:31 PM
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quit trying to type and just get on the bike
Old 09-19-06, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Rivendell, Trek 7700, Univega Viva Sport, Bike Friday, Bike Friday Tandem, Bike Friday Triple, Trail-A-Bike, Trailer.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why do you ride?
Remember the reasons you started.
Old 09-19-06, 02:34 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Last weekend I did 60 miles the weekend past that one I did 80 miles no I am just flat don't want to do this anymore. I lost a whole bunch of weight; now I am like this isn't as much fun as it was. Maybe I am getting down from fall weather or something
Old 09-19-06, 02:37 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Strange. I like each season. When I get tired of one another starts. fun fun
I'm looking forward to the cold windy days of winter. Challenges are what make life worth living.
Old 09-19-06, 09:29 PM
Fish'r wish'r

Bikes: Homebuilt (vintage mtb frame)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What systems do you use to get your self started? I heard some people put a dollar in the jar everytime they ride.
I have my neighbor down the road give me a dollar everytime I ride. I'm thinking about bumping up the rate - inflation and all, ya know.
Old 09-19-06, 09:33 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ
I have my neighbor down the road give me a dollar everytime I ride. I'm thinking about bumping up the rate - inflation and all, ya know.
That is cool, talk about incentive. I am getting my bike tommorrow it is out for repacking front hub. So I will leave my car overnight on campus. Then walk to bike store then ride home. I rode the bike for like a mile to the LBS. The feeling is like yeah that is why I ride. I wish I could get the same feeling on my commuter bike I need to do some upgrades or something.
Old 09-19-06, 10:19 PM
Palcontent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What systems do you use to get your self started. I heard some people put a dollar in the jar everytime they ride. Also after almost getting hit twice I seem to talk my self out of it even more. When it is raining, and I just don't feel like riding anymore. I could really use some one to yell at me or something.
I started out with commuting in spring '05, and I'll admit, I didn't take to it right away. I found myself with a connundrum: I'd just sank money on a bike and was risking not making the purchase worth its while. Then one night, I was sitting on the john, taking a dump, when it hit me: the drunken crazy man who wanders around my neighborhood needs money for booze! I need a reason to bike! So what I did was, see, I went and told this guy to come around to the front of my building every day at 8:00, and if he shouted loud enough, I'd come down and give him a buck to go towards his half-pint of Wild Turkey or whatever he was into that day. So when he came round and started hollerin', I wanted to get out of my building and away from him as quickly as possible. The first couple times were a bit hairy, but after a few weeks, I got to the point where I could accelerate just fast enough to where he didn't have a chance of laying a finger on me. An extra dollar saved became my incentive, and more than a year later, I've...

Er, okay, that didn't happen. In fact, I'd looked at it like this: I'd bought the bike and wanted to start commuting via bike because CTA was threatening all sorts of crazy fare hikes and service cuts at the time. I was at least going to ride as often as possible until the money I would've spent on transit equalled the amount of money I'd spent on the bike (an early-eighties Raleigh road bike that was a real beater but worked). By the time the bike "paid for itself", I found that I was so accustomed to biking and loved it so much that it was more of a hassle *not* to bike.

And they all lived happily ever-after. The end.
Old 09-19-06, 10:25 PM
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What systems do you use to get your self started. I heard some people put a dollar in the jar everytime they ride.
I'd be broke-ass poor in 2 weeks.

get rid of the "road whale". That'll kick you into gear. Also, get a mirror that's ever so slightly flexed. Nothing like waking up in the morning and thinking, "geez, what a fattie."
Old 09-19-06, 10:32 PM
Palcontent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatadonut

get rid of the "road whale". That'll kick you into gear. Also, get a mirror that's ever so slightly flexed. Nothing like waking up in the morning and thinking, "geez, what a fattie."
Better still, videorecord yourself vehemently denouncing everything you really believe in with the camera set in a weird color mode where you look like a different person, or while wearing a mask. Then play the video every morning when you get up. On days where the weather's really crap, you can even hang your alter-ego in effigy from the handlebars, and pedal around whilst cackling maniacally between shouts of "Who's laughing now!" and "I'll teach you to undermine sincere efforts for self improvement, you ******* ****!"
Old 09-20-06, 01:08 AM

Bikes: Mongoized Norco with roadie components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A: Desire

Thats why there are so many fat asses out there bemoaning their weight and all the heart meds they are on, blah blah blah!

Either do it or dont, no one can motivate you for long enough for it to help, you have to want it yourself.
Old 09-20-06, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Giant Tcx1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get rid of the alternative transport.

I ride because taking the bus means I have to get up earlier and end up getting to work later. And I have to stand around waiting for the bus, squeeze into a crowded vehicle, and then go through all the stops to get to work. I bike all through winter now.
Old 09-20-06, 03:38 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas keep em coming I was going to commute from campus home, but my Dad called up said I had to get a whole bunch of stuff for his buisness so I had to car it both ways
Old 09-20-06, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Eatadonut

You only have $14 to your name?

Actually, that's me .

Being a student has its disadvantages, I guess.

My motivation: if I don't ride, I don't get anywhere! I don't have a car. Riding is a heck of a lot better than walking, so I'm actually taking the easy way out when I ride. That helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.