Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mint Green Schwinn Traveler

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-19-06, 03:05 PM
jaded

Bikes: dfl bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a 1986ish mint green Schwinn Traveler that I've had for, well, 20 years. It was my first "ten speed bike" when I was a kid, and it's been in garages and basements for about the past 14 years not moving. Barring some new wheels to lighten it up, and of course ample lubrication and checking of brake lines, shifters, etc., what else would occur on a "tune up" if I visited a LBS with this bike? I'm fairly certain I can grease my bottom bracket, fix my shifters, and swap wheels myself, but I'd rather take it to someone a bit more handy if there's more work to be done.

I may be able to get a 1986 Prelude in decent condition, but I'd rather just keep this and save the $150 that the buyer wants for the prelude.

Thanks for any advice; I'll be able to get my hands back on the bike this weekend and check it out!

- Eric
Old 09-19-06, 03:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you lack either the tools or the mechanical ability, take it to your local bike shop and ask for the "tune up." They'll check all bearings, cables, rubber parts, and accessories plus tighten and adjust as needed. Just that easy! THEN - We want pictures!
Old 09-19-06, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by vxla
I've got a 1986ish mint green Schwinn Traveler that I've had for, well, 20 years. It was my first "ten speed bike" when I was a kid, and it's been in garages and basements for about the past 14 years not moving. Barring some new wheels to lighten it up, and of course ample lubrication and checking of brake lines, shifters, etc., what else would occur on a "tune up" if I visited a LBS with this bike? I'm fairly certain I can grease my bottom bracket, fix my shifters, and swap wheels myself, but I'd rather take it to someone a bit more handy if there's more work to be done.

I may be able to get a 1986 Prelude in decent condition, but I'd rather just keep this and save the $150 that the buyer wants for the prelude.

Thanks for any advice; I'll be able to get my hands back on the bike this weekend and check it out!

- Eric
Those late '80's Travelers are nice. I'd add cleaning and re-packing the headset to your list, the grease is probably somewhat solidified if it's been sitting up that long........What kind of wheels are you going to switch to?
Old 09-19-06, 03:21 PM
Novist senior member

Bikes: have about 30 bikes right now

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tires replaced if rotted, new cables, grease all the bearings; fork, crank and both wheels never mind if using new wheels. clean every piece including derailer and brakes. I like mcguires cleaning wax for final step in cleaning frame. Thats about it if nothing is actualy broken.Oh and new cable housing maybe and spray the cables with wd40 before stringing them it keeps them from rusting in the housing. Thats about all I can think of for what we would call tune up. I've picked up a lot of bikes at auctions and such this past spring and summer and thats about everything there is to do if nothing is broken. For a bike with sentimental value its more fun to do it yourself.
Old 09-19-06, 03:25 PM
jaded

Bikes: dfl bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll get the pictures! I'm also going to have to find some touch-up paint of that mint-green color. I know the chain area is scratched.
Old 09-19-06, 04:08 PM

Bikes: '64 Schwinn Traveler, '73 Astra Tour de France, '79 Fuji Gran Tourer, '86 Dahon folder, '94 Specialized Hardrock, '95 GT Timberline, 2005 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you have the forks removed to repacked the headset, you might want to take it to an auto parts store that has a good selection of duplicolor touch-up paint for cars. You will likely be able to find something that's extremely close to your original paint. If the shop is very friendly (or if nobody's looking) you can even test the touch-up paint on the steerer tube of the fork. Nobody will ever see the part of the steerer tube that lieas between the upper and lower headset bearings, hidden by the headtube.