Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Taking a weeklong trip... suggestions?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 11:07 AM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Planning on taking a trip out of NYC for about a week and change either next week, or two weeks after that. Wanted to do some camping (motels are fine in part), and happy to have some transition days BUT: what I'm hoping for is a place with the best riding I can find for day rides.

Suggestions?

Or, just chime in with local favorites so I can sort out where to take myself.

Sure, I would love to get to California, but this is short notice so I'm hoping for something within the Northeast

Also, how is the weather likely to be holding up in a few weeks where you folks are???
Old 09-20-06, 12:39 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Well....if you don't mind climbing, I would say Vermont if you want nice roads, fairly light traffic, and great scenery....
Old 09-20-06, 04:10 PM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would the weather be in mid-October?

I thought about VT, but thought that maybe West Virginia would be interesting that time of year as well...

I wouldn't say I don't mind climbing, but the whole idea was to get the most beautiful, and the hardest rides I can handle at the moment.
Old 09-20-06, 05:36 PM
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
During the day, probably in the low to mid 60's or thereabouts.....depending on the weather and where you are.

If you were going to head down south, I'd probably go down to the Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Parkway and do some riding around there. Lots of nice riding to be had down there, and the weather should be nicer.
Old 09-23-06, 11:30 AM

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cape Cod is a very nice place to ride with a few bicycle trails. There are also a few campgrounds and a few hostels (including one in P-town). The northern part of Cape Cod is hilly (similar to 9W at NY to Bear Mountain) but it's not a hard place to ride. You can ride to CC from NY (the road is mostly nice with a few campgrounds along) or you can take a Chinatown bus to Boston.
Old 09-23-06, 06:19 PM
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still great riding here, and it will only continue to get better through mid-late October, especially if you're able to do your riding during the daytime.

Check routeslip.com for the states/cities/towns you're interested in. I've posted a few for the Hershey/Elizabethtown/Middletown/Mt. Gretna area here in PA.

Good luck, and if you decide on this area, get in touch. . . we still have some organized group rides coming up.

Beth
Old 09-24-06, 03:54 PM
Solo Rider, always DFL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've actually kind of decided on going down to Cumberland, MD... West Virginia and PA appalachians nearby within a short hop by car.

Any interesting stuff in northern WV, or in the nearby areas in PA from folks from around there?
Old 09-24-06, 05:26 PM

Bikes: Lemond, Cannondale

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by superslomo
I've actually kind of decided on going down to Cumberland, MD... West Virginia and PA appalachians nearby within a short hop by car.

Any interesting stuff in northern WV, or in the nearby areas in PA from folks from around there?
I just got back from a ride in PA/MD and though I have been there only once a year for the last three years, I have to say it is beautiful riding down there.

I just did the Baltimore Bicyling Club's Civil War Century- the general route maps of this ride are on the club's web site and there are rides of several distances, 25 50 60 77 and 100 miles I think. They are well marked with yellow painted arrows. The long one goes near Antietam, crosses thru Gettysburg and South Mountain battlefields- that would be nice to do.

If you get anywhere near the C and O canal, that is a place I want to check out next year too, I only crossed it in a car at near Sharpsburg and at Harper's Ferry, I would love to ride in bewteen those two places sometime.