Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is this wheel strong enough?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-21-06, 02:00 PM
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm a clydesdale and someone gave me a vintage Schwinn Premis--vintage except for the front wheel. It's unlabeled (except for the hub which is an "equation" hub), however, it looks exactly like this. For those of you who don't click the link--it's an aero rim with that is 27mm deep and has 16 1x bladed spokes. Would this wheel be strong enough for me--again--it's the front wheel?
Old 09-21-06, 03:27 PM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koine2002
Would this wheel be strong enough for me--again--it's the front wheel?
I would ride it. I'm around 275-280.

In theory, I would take it to a shop and have them check the tension on the spokes... In reality, I'd pluck them and see that they felt/sounded ok, then I'd take it for a casual ride and see how it did.
Old 09-21-06, 03:42 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd probably ride it too. Although I'd keep my eye on the spoke tension and look it over after each ride until I had a few hundred miles on it.
Old 09-21-06, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, at 230 lbs I will not ride low spoke count wheels cuz if a spoke breaks the rim will deform and jam in the brakes and I will have a f2f encounter with the road. Not worth it.
Old 09-22-06, 04:38 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
220-230 lbs. I ride 4k to 7k yearly and NOPE! That stuff just doesn't hold. I have 30 mm with 24 spokes and it aint strong enough. I've tried 24 spoke Bontrager Race and Select and they are garbage for a big guy...A big guy that rides.

I built 28 Velocity Deep V that is great and a Mavic cxp 33 32 hole that is great. Have thousand on them and still good.

The Bont's 24 and cxp 30 24 spokes just don't do it if you're gonna do lots of riding. Can't get more than one year out of those fancy spoke wheels!
Old 09-25-06, 08:13 PM
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably depends on your riding....I'd just go for it...and if it starts popping spokes, then you'll know the answer was no. Why replace the wheel before you "know" you have to.
Old 09-25-06, 09:03 PM
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
220-230 lbs. I ride 4k to 7k yearly and NOPE! That stuff just doesn't hold. I have 30 mm with 24 spokes and it aint strong enough. I've tried 24 spoke Bontrager Race and Select and they are garbage for a big guy...A big guy that rides.

I built 28 Velocity Deep V that is great and a Mavic cxp 33 32 hole that is great. Have thousand on them and still good.

The Bont's 24 and cxp 30 24 spokes just don't do it if you're gonna do lots of riding. Can't get more than one year out of those fancy spoke wheels!
As a wheelbuilder who offers a lifetime warranty against spoke breakage and truing, I am often sought out by big guys who are tired of dealing with wheel issues. You are right about the CXP-33 and Deep V. Great rims when built with butted spokes, and depending on the hubs, spoke head washers. I also tie & solder. Yeah, yeah...some say it's worthless, but I have quite a few pairs out there that stay nice and straight, so it works for me.

I'd also conditionally agree with the strike against low-spoke-count wheels with one caveat. Bontrager's carbon rims are unbelievably strong and rigid. Far more so than the CXP-33 or even the ultra rigid Deep V. I have several 250+lb cyclists on them who love them and have had no problems. Keith told me the Race XXX Lite wheels are actually the strongest they make. That's what engineering and no-compromise materials will get you.....of course, we're talking about spending in the neighborhood of $2000 for wheels, so they better be awesome, right?

To koine2002, front wheels are stronger than rear due to their being symmetrical. With careful riding, I would think the wheel in question may work for a while, but I'd probably replace them both with something stronger whenever possible.