Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

possible grinding? advice needed...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i can hear a clicking, or better yet, a creaking noise occasionally when i put force on my pedals (mostly when starting off or climbing). the noise is random and not every rotation. i sometimes also feel a "grit" in the pedals (slight 'vibrations') but i can't determine if it's just some rough road vibrating through the frame or my bb grinding. anyways, i am for sure going to take apart and lube up the bottom bracket bearings, as well as the pedal joints.... any suggestions for what i could be? is that even the problem? it's a miyata 512, and i've never messed with the bottom bracket... any tutorials or advice on how to do it before i dive in? any comments or suggestions will be gladly accepted. thanks!
Old 09-22-06, 02:19 PM
truthiness detector

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com have excellent tutorials on a creaking bike. You can check out my thread as well for some of the things I have tried, https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/230790-test-your-bicycle-mechanic-skills-diagnose.html. I have been struggling with what sounds like an identical problem you have, but so many problems on a bike sound the same so it can be difficult in finding it. Although frustrating, you are probably about to have an incredibly educational experience. good luck