Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Running V brakes on Ultegra equipped Cross Check

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 05:26 PM
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting my Surly Cross Check soon, I'm looking at brake options. My LBS, who will probably sell & build it, didn't even consider the question, I was talking about Ultegra, so I think they're assumming canti. I'm a fan of v-brakes, from loaded touring in the Loire Valley to this morning's muddy rocky descent in the Dublin Mountains.

I've never used cantis. I haven't read a lot of good about them, and I've seen negative remarks about their stopping power. I'm over 200lbs and will be using the bike for loaded touring, we're talking a total package near the 300lbs mark (I'm not sure which side of it ).

Can cantis do the job for me, or do I need to ask them to swap? Will it cost more?
Old 09-24-06, 05:32 PM
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a front v-brake with a travel agent adapter. Works fine. Canti in the back though.

1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 09-24-06, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've both ridden and worked on tandems that use linear pull brakes and travel Agents for many years. That's what I would recommend.

A decade or so ago we used to worry about the brake cable breaking at the kink that's required by the Travel Agent. That hasn't been a problem probably because the kink itself doesn't move. It's held firmly in the same orientation.

Tektro makes a short arm linear pull brake that's not supposed to need a Travel Agent. I hate them. To make them work you have to set them up so close to the rim that you have to either deflate the tire or readjust the brake cable to remove a wheel.
Old 09-25-06, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
QPB travel agents are nicely finished. I've just fitted one. If you fit it yourself, make sure you make particular note of the two o'clock instruction.
Old 09-25-06, 04:24 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
QPB travel agents are nicely finished. I've just fitted one. If you fit it yourself, make sure you make particular note of the two o'clock instruction.
Yeah. The first time that you set one up can be a bit of a trip. Of course, setting up cantelever brakes can be a bit of a trip too.
Old 09-25-06, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like hairlessbill, I use the same brake in the front with Ultegra, but I got rid of the travel agent. It's just not needed. Yes, it feels mushy when your stopped, but when riding they don't and you get superior braking and good modulation. You do need a straight wheel and the pads set close to the rim, but once it's set-up, it's as trouble free as any v.

I also use a canti in the rear, but I don't do loaded touring. It works ok, but they just don't brake as well as V's, but it's adequate for the rear in my case. I've had a V on the rear and it works fine (with Ultegra), but you definitely need a travel agent otherwise you get too much breaking; to hard to modulate the breaking force. I went to a canti only as an experiment as I don't care for messing with a travel agent although once set up they work fine.

Al
Old 09-25-06, 05:34 AM
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
If you're running Ultegra barcons rather than brifters you can use Dia Compe 287v levers and dispense with the Travel Agents.