Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stem length

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stem length

I have had a Rockshox Duke Uturn XC fork fitted to my bike. This has had the effect of slackening the head angle to round 70 degrees the mechanic reckons. He has suggested I should shorten the stem length which will improve steering. Currently I have a 135mm stem and the suggestion is to fit a 100-110mm.

I find on tight twisting single track that it can be an arm wrestle getting round corners.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.

Old 03-16-03, 09:21 AM
Just Pedal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going with a shorter stem will push you more upright. As far as steering goes you could run riser bars. If you already are then disregard that statement. Being more upright will not neccesarily make for quicker steering. I have a Breezer Jet Stream that has a pretty slack hea angle and the steering is legendary. There are of course frames that are designed for fork travel lengths, you should check into that with yours.
Old 03-16-03, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. Mechanic was quite adamant the shorter stem would quicken steering. But I guess there is more to it than just the stem length. I can see that being more upright would make a difference as well. With my present set up I do feel stretched out, probably a throwback to my road racing days.
So I am planning to fit a 110mm stem with 5 degree rise and see what happens.
Old 03-16-03, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go for a 80-100 mate, slightly better still
and a set of risers, cheap set will only cost you £15-£20 and will be fine for normal use so long as you dont do the odd cliff jump!
Old 03-16-03, 06:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Dan. I am lusting after a Raceface Deus stem with 5 degree rise and really just need to decide 100 or 110mm. If I do a cliff jump I've cocked up badly somewhere!
A flat bar fan personally!