Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain issues...please help!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hello!
so i have this schwinn collegiate (not sure what year, but would love to know!) that i have been trying to fix up for the past few months. i discovered the bike in my paretns new house. it was left behind (from the looks of it when i found it..for maybe 20-30 years..never moved from the very spot. so i took it out, cleaned it off (still trying to get all the dang rust off!) and now my lastest problem is the gears. last weekend i took it into the city for a spin. coming back over the manhatten bridge, the chan fell off...not thinking too much of it, i put it back on. from the bottom of manhatten, all the way to grand central, everytime i stopped, or slowed down..DUNK the chain would fall off! when i got it home, i did a deep clean to the bike, and flipped it over to see if i could make sense of whats been going on...and i have no clue. i greased up the chain and spun it upside down for a while, and that seemed to help wth the creaking, and all. so this morning i took it out for a spin, and now it doenst seem to be falling off anymore (the chain) but the new problem...is that it wont go into first gear anymore! i flip it into first, and it just stays in second! and if i try to put the chain manually on first when the gear is in first...it flips right back down to second! here are some pictures so you can get an idea of the bike, and some close ups of the chain...
any help would be amazing.

thanks!

Old 09-25-06, 05:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any information would be great..

thanks
Old 09-25-06, 05:40 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
It sounds like you may need to adjust the high and low limit stops on the rear derailer, and also adjust the cable tension (might be a good idea to replace cables, especially given the fraying on that one cable in the photo). This website has enough theory and practical information to get you started: https://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Old 09-25-06, 05:46 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Throw a Brooks saddle and a mustache handlebar on that old girl, and she'd be a beaut!
Old 09-25-06, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike is dangerous, send it to me and I will see that it is disposed of in a proper manor.

I'd put new cables on it (or at least be sure they move freely, then hit Sheldon's site mentioned above and do the adjustments.

Beginnings of a real nice bike you have there.
Old 09-25-06, 06:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to add: Watch those pedals!!! Can't tell you how many times my feet rolled off the pads of a set almost just like those.
Old 09-25-06, 07:51 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by casiokorg
hello!
so i have this schwinn collegiate (not sure what year, but would love to know!)
Well... it looks alot like
this one.:

Even down to the seat design.
Old 09-25-06, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
For info on old Schwinns, there are some very knowledgeble folks on the Classic and Vintage forum. Bob Hufford and Sierra (BF members) have put together a very nice website on old Schwinns, including serial number info that could help you date the bike: www.geocities.com/sldatabook/serial.html Also, check out the info on Sheldon Brown's site on the electroforged Chicago Schwinns, it's very interesting reading-
Old 09-25-06, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Well... it looks alot like
this one.:

Even down to the seat design.
yah ive seent hat one..its beautiful! i wish one day mine could be that nice..jsut a matter of finding some new peices.