Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

getting rust off!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

getting rust off!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-06, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting rust off!

whats the best way to get rust out of tricky areas? I.E wheels (cant seme to get in and or around the spokes!_ also what are the best produscts you tend to find best?

thanks!
Old 09-25-06, 07:31 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use fine steel wool, personally. It removes rust better than sandpaper, but removes solid metal WORSE than sandpaper... so you clean the rust off a frame without taking much of the good solid metal underneath.

By the way, wheels shouldn't be rusting... unless you have very low-quality non-stainless spokes or steel rims. Steel rims are obsolete because they're heavy and have VERY poor braking traction in rain, so it's a good idea to replace them if possible.
Old 09-25-06, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Do we really "own anything"??

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little cordless dremel tool with a wire brush thingy works great in
those hard to get places..and shine steel components up like brand spankin new.
Old 09-26-06, 07:43 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you do use steel wool or a wire brush be aware that, in addition to removing rust, you may be removing some of the protective plating that remains on the steel. This might increase the rusting that you will see in the future...
Old 09-26-06, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Too numerous to note

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use either copper wool (the scouring pads found in the housewares sections of stores) or a brass wire wheel mounted on a Dremel. Neither will scratch the remaining chrome; both will remove light rust. Heavy rust should be removed with a stainless wire wheel on a Dremel and treated with naval jelly.
Old 09-26-06, 09:08 AM
holyrollin'

Bikes: Raleigh, Rudge, James 3spds., and a cast of many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
On plated steel wheels, the best thing I've found is a soap pad, the steel wool kind used on pots and pans.

I wet the soap pad and hold it lightly against the inner surface of the rim while spinning it, gradually working it in toward the spokes. When the spokes grab the soap pad and fling it, or I start jamming a finger against the spokes, I'll repeat the process on the opposite side. Soon there will be only a narrow track of rust in the spoke path, to be dealt with tediously using soap pad and sore fingers.

Two points in favor: Quick results, and the soap deposits a nice wax-like film on the rim, which buffs off with a dry cloth leaving a nice lustre.

Two points against: Some claim that steel wool can embed in the chrome, promoting new rust. Also, you WILL swear like a bad person when you stub your finger.
Old 09-26-06, 09:30 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatTop
Also, you WILL swear like a bad person when you stub your finger.

You made my day... Thanks! Only funny because I know exactly what you mean...

And it did bring to mind some classic bike restoration kit included brass/copper wool and a wodden stick... Maybe we should all go to a craft store and get some craft sticks to save the fingers, and thus avoid swearing like a bad person...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-27-06, 04:33 AM

Bikes: Bros Sonic FS XT-LX hybrid w/Brooks Swift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Dremel and brass wire wheel. Two points; the brass wires wheels tend to wear fast so have several on hand. Also, always use safety glasses when firing up the Dremel.
Erling.