Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I am scared to leave my bike while I am in class....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 08:19 PM
US Army

Bikes: Gary Fisher Piranha, GT Palomar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The more and more I hear horror stories of bikers getting their jewels stolen, or getting their seats stolen, or one wheel, or w/e... the more and more i am scared to ride to school.... or hell i could always just leave the damned thing with me in class huh? i am sure the profs will love that.... however, i dont think Captain Tugman would mind.. He is the one who talked me into my Gary Fisher...
Old 09-26-06, 08:25 PM
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The standard and very simple answer to commuting to campus is to ride a $40 beater that 1) nobody will want to steal and 2) doesn't bug you if it does get stolen.
Old 09-26-06, 08:49 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(rhetorical question) Just what part of this mans' Army are you in?? In the 1960s, in the Army Security Agency I was the only cyclist on base and could leave my bike unlocked anywhere on base. Consult with the MPs and your senior Sergeant for ideas.

Ok for the cheapo bike idea. My army bike was a three speed. Cycling paid off for me in the Army. In our one annual physical fitness test I lapped every other soldier taking the mile run test on a 1/3 mile track.
Old 09-26-06, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why? It's locked up, right? Do you feel nervous leaving your hosue/apartment/whatever locked with only a single lock while you're at class? Do you own a car? Do you feel nervous about it having only a single lock keeping someone from taking it while you're not there?

You can't live your life constantly worrying about hypothetical scenarios that you have no control over.
Old 09-26-06, 09:04 PM
US Army

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notfred
Why? It's locked up, right? Do you feel nervous leaving your hosue/apartment/whatever locked with only a single lock while you're at class? Do you own a car? Do you feel nervous about it having only a single lock keeping someone from taking it while you're not there?

You can't live your life constantly worrying about hypothetical scenarios that you have no control over.

precisely, however, it pays to be aware of the reality that thugs will steal things of value and i dont want my bike to fall victim to it.. yes i drive a car. however, i was wanting to ride to class on my new gary fisher.

my life is not spent in a CONSTANT state of worrying about my bike being stolen, for the record.. i was just looking for some more advice about how to avoid it...

ken, your question about a mans' army???? you will have to clarify... i am not following you sir.
Old 09-26-06, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I'm not so scared that my bike will get stolen, I just don't like leaving my bike off to the weather. Technically I'm not supposed to bring my bike into my studio space at school but I do when there's no security (before 6pm). I'm considering leaving a tarp hidden where I'm supposed to lock up in case it rains or snows.
Old 09-26-06, 09:59 PM
US Army

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blickblocks
Personally I'm not so scared that my bike will get stolen, I just don't like leaving my bike off to the weather. Technically I'm not supposed to bring my bike into my studio space at school but I do when there's no security (before 6pm). I'm considering leaving a tarp hidden where I'm supposed to lock up in case it rains or snows.

we do as we must, huh man.
Old 09-26-06, 10:16 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armyrider
precisely, however, it pays to be aware of the reality that thugs will steal things of value and i dont want my bike to fall victim to it.. yes i drive a car. however, i was wanting to ride to class on my new gary fisher.
Looking at a lot of the bikes on the nearby campuses I see lots of oversized U-locks with plenty of room to apply a jack or other leverage device. There are also plenty of bikes secured by flimsy cables or chain locks, bikes secured to street signs where the entire bike could easily be lifted over the sign, etc. A lot of the QR seats and front wheels are not locked up either.

I think you could go a long ways by making your bike harder to steal. Get pitlock skewers for your wheels, seat and headset. That'll decrease the likelihood of convenience thefts. Get a Kryptonite New York lock. I got the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock. It's the fattest New York lock they have with an 18mm shackle. The downside to that lock, aside from the 5 pound weight, is that you cannot lock up your frame and rear wheel to a solid object. You'll have to choose either your frame or wheel. Doing both would add another layer of protection as the thief couldn't break the object you locked up to and ride away with the lock dangling from your frame, or break your rear wheel and carry your bike away.

Using the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain would solve that problem, but you'll also have to haul that sucker around (8.4 lbs). The best option might be to go for the standard Kryptonite New York U-lock which has a slightly larger shackle than the Fahgettaboudit U-lock and would allow you to lock both frame and wheel to an object.

I just bought a new bike, have no plans on buying a beater (I have no place to store a second bike), and will be locking my bike up periodically on campus. I take all my easily detachable accessories with me (front/rear blinkie, seatpost bag) but will leave my Cat-eye LD-1000 screwed into the rack. I plan on picking up some red locktite to secure the screws for the fenders/rack to reduce nuisance thieves.

Like your car or apartment, if a thief wants in, he'll get in. But that doesn't mean you can't make it obvious that it's much easier to go for bike next to yours.
Old 09-26-06, 10:29 PM
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Using the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain would solve that problem, but you'll also have to haul that sucker around (8.4 lbs).
Heh. I just got one of these, and took it out for it's first ride this weekend. It took about 15 miles for me to get used to the feel of the thing on the back of my bike (I carry it on my rack). But damn does that thing look solid.
Old 09-26-06, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, no one has ever stolen my jewels. Ever! Okay, I want everyone to get that straight. Sure, I've had two bikes stolen, but my jewels remianed intact. I'll admit, from time to time I may have loaned them out. But I was clear that it was only a temporary arrangement and they never left my sight. Wait, I did close my eyes. Uhm, I'll just go with that they couldn't be removed from the room.

Someone once posted that you should hate your bike a little. If it's too expenseive or you like your bike too much, you can't ever relax. You need to get a cheap beater bike that you hate.
Old 09-27-06, 12:40 AM
US Army

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Looking at a lot of the bikes on the nearby campuses I see lots of oversized U-locks with plenty of room to apply a jack or other leverage device. There are also plenty of bikes secured by flimsy cables or chain locks, bikes secured to street signs where the entire bike could easily be lifted over the sign, etc. A lot of the QR seats and front wheels are not locked up either.

I think you could go a long ways by making your bike harder to steal. Get pitlock skewers for your wheels, seat and headset. That'll decrease the likelihood of convenience thefts. Get a Kryptonite New York lock. I got the Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock. It's the fattest New York lock they have with an 18mm shackle. The downside to that lock, aside from the 5 pound weight, is that you cannot lock up your frame and rear wheel to a solid object. You'll have to choose either your frame or wheel. Doing both would add another layer of protection as the thief couldn't break the object you locked up to and ride away with the lock dangling from your frame, or break your rear wheel and carry your bike away.

Using the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain would solve that problem, but you'll also have to haul that sucker around (8.4 lbs). The best option might be to go for the standard Kryptonite New York U-lock which has a slightly larger shackle than the Fahgettaboudit U-lock and would allow you to lock both frame and wheel to an object.

I just bought a new bike, have no plans on buying a beater (I have no place to store a second bike), and will be locking my bike up periodically on campus. I take all my easily detachable accessories with me (front/rear blinkie, seatpost bag) but will leave my Cat-eye LD-1000 screwed into the rack. I plan on picking up some red locktite to secure the screws for the fenders/rack to reduce nuisance thieves.

Like your car or apartment, if a thief wants in, he'll get in. But that doesn't mean you can't make it obvious that it's much easier to go for bike next to yours.

I suppose you are right, however, with my interests laying as they do and my deep military upbringing and living with arms, i will say this mildly.. IF a foolish person, and i say that very conservatively, makes the FOOLISH decision to come into my apartment, he will be leaving in one way; D E A D. But what you say is correct, if some ******* wants what you have bad enoughthey will make every effort to get it illegally that they can until confronted by someone, and depending on that someone, the situation can escalate quickly. I work too hard for my stuff for some cheap, parasitic piece of **** to just take my stuff and coninue living off of his welfare check. But thats another story all together.
Old 09-27-06, 12:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First thing. If you are genuinely concerned about theft (say you are on a big university campus where people actually strip bikes leaving skeletons behind like bones in an elephant graveyard), consider a cheap beater bike for the commute. Here in Austin (for example), you can find old (maybe servicable) road bikes on Craigslist or garage sales. Since mountain bikes are more in demand than road bikes, you may end up with a better deal on one. Caveat emptor though [1].

Buy a good bike lock. Many people here have good recommendations. A good U-lock [2] or a security chain that you can perhaps sling around your neck is a must if in a theft prone area.

If you are worried about component theft, slap some Pitlocks on the new bike. I think the only US distributer is www.urbanbiketech.com. $120 worth of these will keep your wheels, fork, seat, and brakes on your bike unless someone goes nutzo with power tools (which likely would damage the components into useless pieces anyway.)

As for locking technique, I see two schools of thought. The SB technique of locking the rear wheel to something solid (which is more secure when you add Pitlocks), and the technique of using two different types of locks (a chain and a U lock for example) to lock the front wheel and the frame/rear wheel to something very solid [3]. Both techniques protect your bike; its just a matter of time versus security. Your judgement call. [4]

In your (the OP's) case, I would almost say that Pitlocks and a middle of the road U-lock will virtually ensure that your new bicycle remains yours. The main thing is to get enough security so you can enjoy your bike without having to worry every second about someone stealing it.

[1]: I bought a new low-end Kona hardtail for commuting. It was more expensive than hunting down comparable new bikes or garage sales, but I know I have something known, true, and solid under me that hopefully can stand my newbie mistakes/crashes. However, finances vary with people, and the OP just bought a new Gary Fisher, so not sure if he wants to buy another bike.

[2]: For U-locks, Onguard is decent and Kryptonite is decent. Make sure its not a round key lock, but the usual Abloy/Abus double-sided one. No lock is 100% pickproof, but this is pick resistant enough. For chain locks, make sure its a pre-cut security chain, not something that is cut to length by a hardware store. This is important... if the hardware store chain cutter can cut the chain to length, so can bolt cutters of a decent size.

[3]: Very solid means a lot... lots of people in Austin make the mistake of locking bikes to signs or other objects (like the chain wire on chain link fences) where the bike can be lifted off.

[4]: In Austin (a town that used to be one of Kryptonite's 10 worst bike theft cities, but apparently fell off the list), if you are riding around the main university campus here, you almost need to assume you may not have wheels even with two high-end locks. In other neighborhoods of this city, people use insanely cheap chains like https://tinyurl.com/fxp52, and the bikes stay put. The private university where I'm going to, most people slap a cheap vinyl coated chain with a Master lock, locking the frame to a rack, and calling it done. The university's PD is observant enough and patrols often enough that someone observed doing any hanky panky to a bike will shortly be asked some very pointed questions in no time.

Last edited by mlts22; 09-27-06 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armyrider
I suppose you are right, however, with my interests laying as they do and my deep military upbringing and living with arms, i will say this mildly.. IF a foolish person, and i say that very conservatively, makes the FOOLISH decision to come into my apartment, he will be leaving in one way; D E A D.
You're pretty damn confident there, aren't you? You realize that probably 90% of the time, thieves break into your house when you're not home, right? You should realize that if your place ever does get broken into, it most likely will just mean that you'll get your guns stolen as well, because the place will be broken into while you're at school or work.
Old 09-27-06, 04:11 AM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i struggle with this all the time, but look at it this way - you bought your bike to use it, not keep it safe. Whether a thief steals it or you keep it under wraps, either way it is not being ridden.

I say enjoy your bike and build your fitness - NOW.

just follow the good locking advice above. Get a good sturdy lock. Lock both wheels and frame (use two locks if needed) to stationary object. Remove any lights, bags etc. Secure any QR seat, etc.

My other advice is move the bike around. Don't leave it in the same exact place the same exact times. Thieves will case the bike and return with appropriate tools to defeat the locks.
Old 09-27-06, 05:10 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
In our one annual physical fitness test I lapped every other soldier taking the mile run test on a 1/3 mile track.
Pitiful fitness even for average Joe off the street, let alone soldiers... You ran 1 mile before they did 2/3!!! When Roger Bannister ran a 4 min mile it was a big deal so it's safe to assume you were well outside of 4, probably around 5. Now, whoever can't ran 1070m in 4-5 minutes is... slow. Very slow. Shame on them.
Old 09-27-06, 05:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the bike, get a pair of the biggest baddest locks you can. And lock up per Sheldon Brown's method. Take a look around and make sure your bike is harder to steal than it's comparables parked nearby.

Next, make your bike unattractive. Beaterize it. You'll know it's not a beater because you'll still ride it and feel it whip through corners. But a mofo in a pickup cruising by it looking for some candy to steal won't see it right away.

Paint it matte black, put stickers all over it, put reflective tape all over it (you should do this anyway), put fenders on it (it does rain in TN right?), put stickers all over your fenders, put a rack on it, etc...

Your bike should ride like the gem it is, but should look like a homeless guys transportation.
-----------------------------------------------------

Regarding your home: I watch "cops" when I'm bored, and there is often a trunk full of stollen guns taken from someones house (yes even in TN). It happens. Please put trigger locks on your weapons (to at least slow down the usefulness of them to a theif). The odds of a breakin while you are home are miniscule. If you have one of those NRA (deadly force used to protect this house) stickers on your front door all you are doing is putting up a big sign that says, "Loads of firearms stored here, wait until I leave and come on in and help yourself: everything must go!!"

I've owned dogs for 10 years now and I think a loud bark and a beware of dog sign are the best theft deterents money can buy. Why mess with a house with a dog, when the one next door has no dog.
Old 09-27-06, 06:24 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"I've owned dogs for 10 years now and I think a loud bark and a beware of dog sign are the best theft deterents money can buy. Why mess with a house with a dog, when the one next door has no dog."

+1. I have a big stray lab mix. I found him playing in the street. No one wanted him or would claim him. I kept him, and don't regret it. 90 Lean pounds, all bark. Boy, folks are scared of him... but he's a big softie. Still a great break-in deterent. Never had a thing stolen, no break ins.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 09-27-06, 06:46 AM
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a folder like the Downtube Mini, fold it up, take it with you. Leave your Gary Fisher to ride where it was made to ride.

www.bfold.com is another option (brompton is expensive, but pretty good)

Just my US$0.02

Last edited by 14R; 09-27-06 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 06:54 AM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Convert it to S/S find a way to discreatly disconnect the breaks or Fixxie with no brakes . If they steal it they wont go to far they will be flat on their face and change the pedals to speedplay frogs so they will be overly screwed if they didn't bring cleated shoes
Old 09-27-06, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dogs rock, no one comes near my house. And g-d forbid a strange man (hell, even some of my buddies) comes near my daughters, he gets real mad!!!

For the bike, if it was mine and new, I would use a good U-lock on the frame and rear wheel and then either a seperate chain on the front wheel or just take the front wheel with me to class. Don't forget one important thing, since you are locking it in the same placedaily, you do not need to take the lock with you but can leave it locked to the rack.

Best of luck.
Old 09-27-06, 07:21 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by womble
The standard and very simple answer to commuting to campus is to ride a $40 beater that 1) nobody will want to steal and 2) doesn't bug you if it does get stolen.
This is the best solution, no need to buy $120 plus in locks, nor haul the weight around of one those Krypto NY Forgettaboutit(sp?) chain locks PLUS the U lock. Just buy either a U lock or a thick cable lock. Yes I know cable locks can be easily cut through, but for a $40 dollar bike I doubt anyone would even try when there are other ducks in the pond.
Old 09-27-06, 07:45 AM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage sale beater bike. Hang your nice bike on the wall in your bedroom and polish it nightly. Maybe take it out for a long ride on Saturday.
Old 09-27-06, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
Hey, no one has ever stolen my jewels. Ever! Okay, I want everyone to get that straight. Sure, I've had two bikes stolen, but my jewels remianed intact. I'll admit, from time to time I may have loaned them out. But I was clear that it was only a temporary arrangement and they never left my sight. Wait, I did close my eyes. Uhm, I'll just go with that they couldn't be removed from the room.

Someone once posted that you should hate your bike a little. If it's too expenseive or you like your bike too much, you can't ever relax. You need to get a cheap beater bike that you hate.
How about a cheap bike that you love? One that someone probably wouldn't want to steal because it's old, but still in good condition and rides beautifully! Yay for vintage bikes!
Old 09-27-06, 09:00 AM

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

This is what I ride to school and work. It is old and ugly. In Arizona there are tons of bikes at every bike rack, I often park next to the nice ones. It help too that the rack I use most is in a heavy traffic area.
Old 09-27-06, 09:03 AM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Use a good lock.

Lock up properly (frame and both wheels to a very solid impossible to cut object).

Move bike around, as somebody suggested.

You should be fine. Where are your classes? Is it at a college/uni or some military academy? If it's on the army premises, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I guess (although recently a local paper featured a story of a bicycle being stolen from the parking lot of the police headquarters... but that's Toronto, a runner-up for bike theft capital of North America )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.