Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

'07 Specialized Epic Comp or '07 Cannondale Rush 6 w/ upgrades

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 09:50 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX, 2004 Cannondale F300, 2007 Specialized Epic Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to buy my first dual suspension mountain bike. The choices have come down to the '07 Specialized Epic Comp or '07 Cannondale Rush 6 w/ several upgrades.

I have seen the many positive reviews for both bikes. Test rode an Epic at my LBS that was one size to big (rode a medium, need a small, which the LBS did not have in stock) but the bike rode very well and I could tell that the small would be just right. I am coming off a Cannondale hardtail so the Brain Shock would be a very significant upgrade. My concern is with the multiple pivots (more maintenance) and the Brain Shock (proprietary rear shock). But I do like the design of the FSR suspension and how it isolates pedaling bob and still remains active. It will e my first Specialized bike.

I am waiting to test ride a Cannondale Rush. For some reason my LBS will not get the 07 Cannondales until sometime in October. Although I know the Lefty is a great fork, logistics wise, I will need to change the way I transport the bike, get a new rack, etc. So I want a standard fork using a reducer headseat, hence the Rush 6. The Rush 6 components come no were close to the Epics so I will need to do some significant upgrades (fork - Rock Shox Reba SL, shock - Manitou Swinger SPV or Fox RP23, cranks - at least Shimano Deore, ideally Shimano XTs, wheels - mavic X117 disc rims, tires - still deciding) to get it to a level I want it at. What I like about the Rush is the lower maintenance of the single pivot design. From what I have read there is also more mud clearance on the Rush. I have a cannondale hardtail and like Cannondales in general. Concerns are pedal feedback on the single pivot suspension. The upgrades will likely bring the total price to about the same level as the Epic and likely even more. The upgrades will also take time, maybe up to 2 years (this is how long it took me to upgrade my F300 hardtail to a component spec I wanted, so I have been through the upgrade bug before with a lower level bike, something I wanted to avoid for this bike purchase)

People say both bikes are rockets on the trail. The general consensus is that the Epic's ride is not "plush" and the Rush would be "plusher" ride. Coming from a 85mm hardtail, I have no comparison for "plushness."
I will be riding rooty, often muddy, very hilly, and somewhat technical trails of Hawaii. I do not intend to downhill race or huck large drops. Basically need a efficient trailbike. I am not the biggest guy also. 5'3 150 lbs.

Given these factors, what are the general opinions on these two choices
Old 09-26-06, 09:58 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
They are both very finnicky bikes.
Old 09-27-06, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the Rush 3z.. better components and has a fox fork.
Old 09-27-06, 09:02 AM
I'm simply not credible.

Bikes: A blue one and a black one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
either or. they are both very nice. it is your choice friend.
Old 09-27-06, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 3700 Black

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go with the Epic, just for looks. My .02 cents.
Old 09-27-06, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine
What about the Rush 3z.. better components and has a fox fork.

I was thinking of the 3Z. Although the 3Z costs more than the Epic Comp. Might make more sense than upgrading the Rush 6. I'm not too hot on the tubeless tires on the 3Z. Don't know if my LBS is willing to lower the spec on the tires and wheels for a discount.
Old 09-27-06, 10:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say Cannondale, but then again, I am biased. I've owned five cannondale bikes, and all of them were worth every penny and then some.

The Rush is a very nice bike.
Old 10-25-06, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just bumping this thread...I'm also looking hard at the '07 epic comp. It comes with some nice parts and might make a nice race bike this year but I've never ridden a bike with the brain. Any racers want to speak up?
Old 11-10-06, 01:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yater
I'm just bumping this thread...I'm also looking hard at the '07 epic comp. It comes with some nice parts and might make a nice race bike this year but I've never ridden a bike with the brain. Any racers want to speak up?

I ended up getting the Epic. I do not race but for the money it had the best components and would require only a few upgrades or changes (tires, grips, pedals, etc.) to get it specced to how I wanted it. I would have needed to spend a few hundred dollars more to get a comparable Rush 3Z and the Epic was already past my intended budget. I was riding a Cannondale hardtail so the Epic is a huge upgrade for me. A lot of people say it is a XC race bike which it will excel at, but I use it as my main trail riding bike which it also does a very good job at. The '06-'07 Epics have 4" of travel on both ends (versus 3' front 3.5" rear, pre-2006) and a slightly slacker headtube (70.5 degrees versus 71.5 degrees, pre-2006). This is the same as the FSR XC, Giant Trance and older Stumpy FSRs Although it is quick steering, I would not call it twitchy. Because of the brain, it is very efficient and stable at speed and climbs like the F-16 of bikes. Wads of out of the saddle power. Downhill is not bad either. Coming from a hardtail, the brain set at 3/4 (around 7 clicks) from fully open is optimal for me. The rear shock soaks up the terrain and really saves your body from getting shaken to pieces like on a hardtail. As advertised, the brain keeps the rear rigid until you hit a bump. A lot of people whine that its to slow to react but the trail tune on the '07 Epic Comp lets you tune the sensitivity and to me it takes less than a second to react. I would not call this bike fragile either, which many people think it is. It will do 3-ft drop offs and the usual XC type drops easily (just don't drop off the roof of your house, it was not clearly made for this) and I have ridden over some pretty major roots. If you are coming from a hardtail it would be the ideal FS racer. Go test ride one and see if its for you.