Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Creaky noise, i'm a noob :(

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I just recently got into more serious biking so I don't really know how to do .. anything. haha. Anyway, my poor bike's been making a sort of creaky/squeaky noise lately. It sounds as if the break pads were rubbing against the tire, so basically like rubber rubbing against something. But the noise comes from either the cassette area or the crankset area, I can't really tell. I have a Trek 3700 mtb (with the store components), i got it second-hand but it was hardly used and in very good condition. I know the problem is probably something in a number of things, but can anyone point me in some direction please? I read some of the threads on here about bottom bracket noises, but I wouldn't know how to fix or clean stuff properly, in that case could anyone refer me to a book or guide i could use to maintain my bike? haha, oh my gosh, sorry for all the questions, i have so much to learn! ahh
I'm from Southern California by the way! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-06, 10:24 AM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It does sound like the infamous "creaky bottom bracket syndrome" ... but it could be something else too. Is the noise regular or irregular? Does it occur once per pedal cycle, once per wheel revolution, or irregularly? Do any particular gear combinations make it worse or better?

As for a book, I recommend this excellent book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...s-20/ref=nosim It's $13, aimed at beginners, has excellent illustrations, and yet it's very complete and thorough and can teach you nearly everything you need to know for bike repairs. I've practically memorized my copy (it's got the greasy finger stains on the pages to prove it)

And welcome to the forums! I used to live in Orange County, CA when I was little.
Old 09-27-06, 10:43 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those "creaky squeaky" noises (hmm...a Billy Ray Cyrus biking song title?) can be tricky to find, because the sound travels thru the tubes and can sound like it's coming from anywhere. See the Park Tools repair site referenced in Moxfyre's sig line. They list several possible causes - some of which can be unexpected but easy to fix. Also see and bookmark the Sheldon Brown site. It is a superb resource and has answered a lot of my newbie questions.

For example: When I first got my used Giant OCR2 I had a rhythmic creak in time with my pedaling. Oh crap, I thought, a bum bottom bracket. But it turned out to be my seat! A little lube on the rails, especially where they attached to the seat itself and that was it. That and adjusting the seat so I wouldn't rock when pedaling.

Another possible easy fix: try greasing then tightening your chainring bolts (obviously, take them out to grease them).
Old 09-27-06, 05:57 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get someone to ride alongside you. They'll be much better able to hear where the noise is coming from.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-28-06, 02:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moxfyre
It does sound like the infamous "creaky bottom bracket syndrome" ... but it could be something else too. Is the noise regular or irregular? Does it occur once per pedal cycle, once per wheel revolution, or irregularly? Do any particular gear combinations make it worse or better?

As for a book, I recommend this excellent book: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...s-20/ref=nosim It's $13, aimed at beginners, has excellent illustrations, and yet it's very complete and thorough and can teach you nearly everything you need to know for bike repairs. I've practically memorized my copy (it's got the greasy finger stains on the pages to prove it)

And welcome to the forums! I used to live in Orange County, CA when I was little.
Yea, the OC! lol
Anyway, the noise is pretty regular when i pedal- once per pedal cycle. When I'm coasting the noise goes away. With some gear combinations i get a worse-r noise, but i think that's because the chain actually starts rubbing with other parts. A bad gear combo i guess.
Thanks, this forum is a pretty neat place btw, funny icon. my younger brother and i used to read Calvin and Hobbes a lot. haha

Last edited by Shorty_McHotdog; 09-28-06 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 02:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Those "creaky squeaky" noises (hmm...a Billy Ray Cyrus biking song title?) can be tricky to find, because the sound travels thru the tubes and can sound like it's coming from anywhere. See the Park Tools repair site referenced in Moxfyre's sig line. They list several possible causes - some of which can be unexpected but easy to fix. Also see and bookmark the Sheldon Brown site. It is a superb resource and has answered a lot of my newbie questions.

For example: When I first got my used Giant OCR2 I had a rhythmic creak in time with my pedaling. Oh crap, I thought, a bum bottom bracket. But it turned out to be my seat! A little lube on the rails, especially where they attached to the seat itself and that was it. That and adjusting the seat so I wouldn't rock when pedaling.

Another possible easy fix: try greasing then tightening your chainring bolts (obviously, take them out to grease them).
Creaky-squeaky, I'm telling ya, it'll be the next doggone hit. haha, i hate rhyming, but it was necessary.
I've seen parts of the Sheldon Brown site, it's pretty extensive! Yea, i hope mine isn't a big problem either. Maybe I should have a lot of the bike cleaned and greased and re-tightened because I'm not sure when it got tuned up last. :\ I'll try the chainring bolts for now though. Thanks

edit: ahh, the Park Tool site shows you chainring bolts! excellent!

Last edited by Shorty_McHotdog; 09-28-06 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 02:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Get someone to ride alongside you. They'll be much better able to hear where the noise is coming from.
That's actually a pretty good idea, i won't have to guess as much.
Old 09-28-06, 09:03 AM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shorty_McHotdog
Anyway, the noise is pretty regular when i pedal- once per pedal cycle. When I'm coasting the noise goes away. With some gear combinations i get a worse-r noise, but i think that's because the chain actually starts rubbing with other parts. A bad gear combo i guess.
Another surprisingly common source of once-per-pedal-cycle noise: THE SADDLE! If your saddle or seatpost aren't tightened up properly, they may creak regularly as you shift your weight from side to side, that is once per pedal cycle. Check into that.