Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2003 Boxxer Team issue

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2003 Boxxer Team issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 Boxxer Team issue

has anyone else had this problem?

I bought a 2003 boxxer right before winter, and I've ridden it maybe...and I mean maybe around my block and that's it. I noticed if the fork sat for an hour or so it would lock out. I'd have to ride it around and bounce on it for a bit before it started completely working again.

More detail for ya. What I mean by lock out is.. that when I get on it the fork doesn't compress at all even if I hit something. But then every time I do hit somehting it moves a little more each time( about 1/2 an inch) till it uses all of it's travel. After that the fork seems ok. But then if I let it sit for a while (about an hour or so) it becomes locked out again.

I was thinking about stripping it down and rebuilding it all... maybe there was air in the compresion damping chamber making this happen.... But I've gotten lazy over the winter and never opend it up. So before I started pullin it apart I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has seen this.

thanks!

Old 03-18-03, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could just be that since it's a new fork, you've never broken it in, and the seals are tight. That and since it's B.A.C. (rear mule frigid) where you are, maybe the seals are tight due to thermal contraction of the dissimilar materials.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 03-18-03, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL...ha ha ha.. could you get anymore technical!

No it's not an issue with seals..other wise if it was the fork would be slow sticky and not open up after hittin a bump two or so times.......AND it's been around 70 here the past couple of days...so that's a negative on the tight seals.

Plus I've had boxxers before and I know what they feel like when the need to be broken in. This is completely different. Plus my bike sits inside..the warm house!! and I kick it around my basement evey now and then...and it does the exact same thing!

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the compresion damper...but hell if I fell like stripping it apart and doing all that work! ha ha ha. I think like I said that their maybe air in there causeing the "homer" valve act funny and lock out until you break the air up. That is completely a guess though! Hopefully RS will get back to me soon and say oh it's this..and it will be an easy fix.