Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How to install SRAM Powerlink Gold (9 spd)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 9 speed Shimano chain but am going to pick up SRAM's Powerlink Gold. How exactly do I install it, any particular link? Can I just break the chain at any point and install the Powerlink? Or do I need to break the master link (slightly different colored than the rest of the links), basically remove and replace the master link with the powerlink? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-06, 03:32 AM
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Installing a SRAM link is easy. Break the chain anywhere you wish and remove a link. Install the quick link, hold the rear brake, and apply steady pressure on a pedal and you will hear it click into place. Done!

BTW...I always carry a two quick links in my seat bag. Haven't needed them yet but you never know.
Old 09-29-06, 05:51 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- you're gonna love the powerlink when the time comes to clean the chain...

- 'chain scrubbers' such as Park's or the [worthless] Nashbar versions don't really clean chains... they're messy and inconvenient, but certainly faster for cleaning lightly soiled chains w/o a powerlink...

- with a powerlink, just remove the chain, drop into a clean Gatorade quart bottle w/a Simple Green/water mix, then shake to clean... works great!

- the only time you may have trouble with a powerlink is if the chain is very heavily soiled... Park makes a Master Link Plier Tool (MLP-1) that easily opens soiled links...

- and yes, buy a couple extra for your saddle bag or toolbox
Old 09-29-06, 05:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just remember to press together the link to remove it. Otherwise you will fight it for a hour.
Old 09-29-06, 06:02 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by vw addict
Just remember to press together the link to remove it. Otherwise you will fight it for a hour.
I learned that the hard way, I'm assuming most of us have.
Old 09-29-06, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoomer
Installing a SRAM link is easy. Break the chain anywhere you wish and remove a link. Install the quick link, hold the rear brake, and apply steady pressure on a pedal and you will hear it click into place. Done!
Thanks for the help! Can you confirm the one link that is slightly different colored on my Shimano chain is the master link? Basically, if I wanted to take the pain in the @ss route that would be the link to remove the pin and reinstall a new one, right? I'm definitely going with the Powerlink but just as an fyi would like to know what the master link (slightly different colored) is? Would it matter if I removed the master link and replaced it with the Powerlink? Or should I break it somewhere other than the master link? Also, since I'm technically adding a link with the Powerlink, I need to remove a link from the Shimano, right? Sorry for all the newb questions. Thanks again guys!
Old 09-29-06, 01:30 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. The master link has a different kind of pin in it.

If you look at the chain closely, you will see one link with a different kind of pin in it. That is the one you remove using a chain tool.

you will have to remove that link from the chain and replace with with the powerlink.
Old 09-29-06, 01:44 PM

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I learned that the hard way, I'm assuming most of us have.
Hell yeah, I was seriously going nuts trying to get it off. Could be due to the fact that I put a 9spd Powerlink onto an 8spd Shimano chain but... meh. Now I love my Powerlink though.
Old 09-30-06, 03:19 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike09
Thanks for the help! Can you confirm the one link that is slightly different colored on my Shimano chain is the master link? Basically, if I wanted to take the pain in the @ss route that would be the link to remove the pin and reinstall a new one, right? I'm definitely going with the Powerlink but just as an fyi would like to know what the master link (slightly different colored) is? Would it matter if I removed the master link and replaced it with the Powerlink? Or should I break it somewhere other than the master link? Also, since I'm technically adding a link with the Powerlink, I need to remove a link from the Shimano, right? Sorry for all the newb questions. Thanks again guys!
the master link on my HG93 chain is the same color as the SRAM powerlink.
I would just replace the existing master link with the powerlink. nothing to worry about then, as far as too many links, is there another master link etc.
Old 08-08-07, 02:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you can't just remove the pin? You have to remove a link and replace it? I guess it's to keep the chain length the same. Would anything bad happen if you just installed the powerlink without removing one? (Slightly longer chain).
Old 08-08-07, 02:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sygyzy
So you can't just remove the pin? You have to remove a link and replace it? I guess it's to keep the chain length the same. Would anything bad happen if you just installed the powerlink without removing one? (Slightly longer chain).

Try it and find out. Personally, i operate by the notion that if it ain't broke, don't break it.
Old 08-09-07, 09:04 AM
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Won't work - try it and you'll immediately see why.

The Powerlink is an outside or wide link. You need it to span between two inside or narrow links. If you just pull one pin you'll be trying to link it between an inside and and outside and that just won't work!

Last edited by GV27; 08-09-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Ritchey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I replaced the chain on my 9 speed shimano cluster, I tried to fasten the new shimano chain with a 9 speed 'gold' sram power link. The stamp on this link said 'j-3.' It would not lock. The bars on it were not long enough, so I reinstalled my old sram powerlink. The stamp on this link said '8-10.'
I'm thinking the solution to this problem is that sram must make several powerlinks, and the old one stamps '8-10' is the one I need to get as a spare.
Comments?

Originally Posted by mike09
I have a 9 speed Shimano chain but am going to pick up SRAM's Powerlink Gold. How exactly do I install it, any particular link? Can I just break the chain at any point and install the Powerlink? Or do I need to break the master link (slightly different colored than the rest of the links), basically remove and replace the master link with the powerlink? Thanks in advance!