Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

waterproof/resistant pants you can wear all day?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 10:41 PM
i am batman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey, i'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions for waterproof (or at the very least better in bad weather) pants that can be worn all day. i'm a student so i don't really have ample time to change before class, and it's not really practical either way. i remember seeing some goretex army pants somewhere but i can't find them now. otherwise i figure i will just wear tights with dickies work pants since they tend to dry faster.

in the summer it's not that big of a deal but in the winter i don't think it would be very comfortable. last winter i managed to luck out but i am not counting on that this year.
Old 09-29-06, 11:54 PM
Reticient Recluse

Bikes: Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something, but why would you not be able to wear waterproof pants all day? There are any number of waterproof pants on the market and I don't think any of them are as uncomfortable as your alternative sounds.

For what it's worth, my waterproof pants are Marmot Precip pants, and I'm fine wearing them all day. I also have a pair of Patagonia Super Guide water resistant climbing pants that I wear when it's colder. These are so comfy I don't even feel like changing out of them at night.
Old 09-30-06, 01:32 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not wear regular pants, then throw something light over them? I like the REI Ultra Light Pants although you could also consider the Showers Pass Rain Pants.
Old 09-30-06, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I use polycotton hiking pants which dry in about 10 mins. In winter I use pertex overpants (similar to Montaine featherlite). These can fend of pretty heavy cold rain and dry within minutes. If you do get a bit damp underneath, the polycotton copes well.
Pertex pants pack down really small so carrying them is no problem.
Old 09-30-06, 07:16 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, like Lurker1999 said, just get a pair of rainpants and wear them over your school clothing. Do you mide alot of miles at a time that might build up sweat? If not then the cheapest pair of non-breathable slip over rain pants should do the trick just fine.$35.00 and these work great IMHO [bicycleclothing.com]
Old 10-02-06, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the perfect pant for short duration commuting and all day wear would be the pants made from Powershield from REI. They are warm, breathable, stretch a little and are quite water and wind resistant. The only down side is that they cost about 200 USD the last time I checked. They are almost 100 percent polyester so they wick and dry fast.

If your commuting is short an inexpensive nylon shell over loose fitting levi's would work well. If you are not working up much of a sweat.

A good less expensive solution is some Novara riding pants from REI that are kind of a loose fitting tight almost a pant really. Very breathable but would work really well for short commutes over regular riding shorts. Not warm enough for long really cold rides but for short commutes would be ideal because they breath really well and are water and wind resistant. They would be reasonably cool inside the buildings for class and are only about 60 USD. I think they are are called Novara Ahead or Headwind pants. I will check.

Ya, Novara Headwind pants. 69 USD. Also a pair of 100 percent polyester warm-up or running pants over cycling shorts would work well and can be picked up at Walmart or Shopko for 30 USD or less. These would work well but not as good as the Novara Headwinds. But the warm-up pants are a little more loose fitting so might blend in better for everyday casual wear.

Another good option is to just buy some of the technical fabric and have your girlfriend, sister, mom or yourself, if you can, sew up a pair of your own pants in any design you like.

Last edited by Hezz; 10-02-06 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
I think the perfect pant for short duration commuting and all day wear would be the pants made from Powershield from REI. They are warm, breathable, stretch a little and are quite water and wind resistant. The only down side is that they cost about 200 USD the last time I checked. They are almost 100 percent polyester so they wick and dry fast.
If you're talking water-resistant pants then REI Mistral Pants are definitely an option. They're $100 without any sales. I really like the Schoeller fabric, it stretches, has a good fit. The pants come with velcro strips at the bottom so you can really tighten up the fabric if you like (it's designed as a gaiter like mechanism to wear over hiking boots) which will keep them out of your chain.

Keep in mind they are wind/water resistant, not proof. In cold winter weather (30s and below) you will feel cold wearing them alone but if you throw a wicking layer underneath you'll do just fine in terms of warmth.

The articulated knees are wonderful since they allow the pants to be very comfortable for all day wear, biking, hiking, etc. I've got 3 pairs of these.
Old 10-02-06, 09:20 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ wore those everyday last winter. Super pant.

OTOH, if you need waterproof then I also use a Dry-Plus over pant from Cabelas that has full side zips, breathes, and rolls up to the size of a water bottle.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-02-06, 10:47 PM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
^^^ wore those everyday last winter. Super pant.

OTOH, if you need waterproof then I also use a Dry-Plus over pant from Cabelas that has full side zips, breathes, and rolls up to the size of a water bottle.
Wow those look like an awesome rain pants because the leg length is longer than most (keeps the rain from coming in the top of your shoe) ...and less sticky on the legs.

Quote the Ad
Next to your skin, a light coating on the inner fabric reduces condensation.
Old 10-05-06, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Combat fatigues for me. Unless it is below 5'C and raining don't wear my Cannondale pants. Try a canvas tent water proofing spray for a bit of repellency.
Old 10-06-06, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The REI Mistral pants or other backcountry winter pants are a very good choice. The nice thing about these pants is that they breath so you won't get too overheated in class. Then you can carry a lightweight wind/water shell as has been suggested. The shell and pant together over your cycling shorts would be very warm and you can just carry the shells in your backpack and only use them when needed.
Old 10-09-06, 10:35 AM
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the REI Mistral. They aren't "warm", which is nice, and very comfortable alone in the "cool, not cold" temp ranges.

Thanks for the recommendation CastIron!
Old 10-09-06, 11:43 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Patrol Pants from J&G are my 'standard' spring/fall/winter pant for commuting. I especially like them this time of year when it's cool in the mornings but warmer in the afternoon, because I can unzip the legs and turn them into shorts. In the winter, I just put on a pair of wicking long johns underneath and I stay plenty warm.

https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Patro...ts-Unisex.html

I also like the Fox Huck pant...when I can find them in my size. Same zip off legs, but they are a bit 'dressier' and have a khaki color.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1122
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-09-06, 07:50 PM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The road smell that gets on the pants after a heavy rain is not something I'd like to share with co-workers. But if your job has you working in the open fresh air maybe wearing rain pants all day would be OK.