Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Grip shifters?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Grip shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 10:45 PM
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grip shifters?

I'm thinking about moving away from the rapid fire shifters and picking a SRAM grip shifter. I'm running a 1x9 and Nashbar says that the SRAM grip is compatible. What is y'all's take on it?
Old 10-03-06, 08:40 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J-McKech
I'm thinking about moving away from the rapid fire shifters and picking a SRAM grip shifter. I'm running a 1x9 and Nashbar says that the SRAM grip is compatible. What is y'all's take on it?
Good choice...I have 5 bikes with Grip Shifts...may convert more. The big advantage is that you can keep your whole hand on the bars when shifting and shift through a wider range of gears with one flick.

Just have to make sure that the shifter is compatable with your derailleur...Sram makes the same model for both Sram (2:1) and Shimano (1:1)
Old 10-03-06, 08:41 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I just made the switch a month or so ago when I built up my new bike. Now that I am getting used to it I love it. I'll probably be changing my other bike over in the near future.
Old 10-03-06, 09:06 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I originaly had them on my mesa. You have to be careful not to accidentaly shift, but once you get used to it its no big deal. It really is a matter of preference, and in my case I prefer my XTR shifters.
Old 10-03-06, 09:43 AM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have been using gripshifts for almost 12 yrs and never had problems. hope it works for you
Old 10-03-06, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate grip shift. Although I've never had a good set. The only advantage, is being able to slide through all the gears at once. They may be okay for commuting/general purpose, but for XC and other rather technical stuff, it's too easy to make an accidental shift.

Matt
Old 10-03-06, 03:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
old crappy ones get you leaning down just to get the leverage to shift. the newer, better models work nice though, but I always mess up and shift after a drop becuase my hand is on the grip...i mean grip shift
Old 10-03-06, 03:30 PM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate grip shift. Although I've never had a good set. The only advantage, is being able to slide through
I hate grip shift. Although I've never had a good set. The only advantage, is being able to slide through all the gears at once. They may be okay for commuting/general purpose, but for XC and other rather technical stuff, it's too easy to make an accidental shift.

Matt
I believe that is a matter of own preferances like between SRAM and Shimano. Anyway I believe that you just need to get used to it, like using a Shimano Dual Shift ^^
Old 10-03-06, 04:40 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton

Matt
You forgot another huge advantage, the left shifter is basicly friction. Being able to fine tune the front derailleur to avoid rubbing is a huge advantage. That as well as being able to drop five or six gears at a time are what make me really like my grip shifts. However I do have to admit, before I decided to put them on my bike I really didn't think I would care for them either.
Old 10-03-06, 04:49 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Glad to hear you liking 'em, LowCel. Ahhh, another convert; I was beginning to feel a bit like somewhat of an outcast ('course there are those who'd say I still am, GripShift or no )

Elton, I cured the accidental shifts by running full-length grips. Looks a little funky, but it works for me.
Old 10-03-06, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mis-shifts are a matter of technique.

Originally Posted by Elton

Matt
Mis-shifting rarely happens to me. After a brief switch to triggers a couple of years ago, I went straight back to grip shifts. Mis-shifting with the hand rarely happens to me. It should not happen to anyone so long as they learn to to death grip the bar with their index finger (which is good anyways as locking the index finger limits mobility of the lower arm (you learn this in Aiki arts (Aikido, Hapkido, Kempo))).

Cavet: On my last bicycle that did not have a long enough top tube (this is weird because it was a 23" Yukon) I would occasionally strike the shifter with my knee and accidently upshift. That's ok because if I was running triggers I would have simply busted or bent the levers. My new bike is a 22" Karate Monkey and the knee shifts are gone now.
Old 10-03-06, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said ...

Originally Posted by LowCel
You forgot another huge advantage, the left shifter is basicly friction. Being able to fine tune the front derailleur to avoid rubbing is a huge advantage. That as well as being able to drop five or six gears at a time are what make me really like my grip shifts. However I do have to admit, before I decided to put them on my bike I really didn't think I would care for them either.

Well said LowCel. In fact, there are a great many people who run triggers for the rear and a gripshift on the front specifically for the ability to tune out derailleur rub on the fly.
Old 10-03-06, 08:20 PM
It is what it is...

Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Thankyou! I had gripshifts on my last bike and rode it for 8 years and loved them. changed them only once in 8 years. Now I have these rapid fire shifters and the front dr rubs the chain and makes a racket when I'm in higher gears. with the gripshifts I could adjust it in the shifter, now it rubs somewhere nomatter how I adjust it. I'm going back to gripshifts for sure!

myspace
myplace
my bike
Old 10-04-06, 02:56 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i understand what low cel talking bout rub!, haha
Old 10-04-06, 10:52 AM
mtbguide

Bikes: Ellsworth Truth, Cannondale Super V, Cannondale CAAD4 road, Giant Team DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM sells halfpipe & quarterpipe grip sizes. Definately get the quarterpipe to help avoid shifting when you don't want to. I've always run grip shifters because my background is Motocross racing & it feels natural to me. Sorta like a throttle.

The newest models have a better "detent" & are not nearly as easy to mis-shift.