Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

North Sea Cycle Tour '07

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

North Sea Cycle Tour '07

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 08:55 AM
angry young clown

Bikes: bianchi rollo, trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
North Sea Cycle Tour '07

My wife and I are looking to do some of the route around the North Sea (www.northsea-cycle.com) next summer and I was wondering if anybody on here has had experience in those areas in regards to the camping scene. This summer when we were cycling the Donau in Germany/Austria we decided to stay in pensions, b n' b's, hostels because it was our first big tour, first time in Europe and the honeymoon as well. For next summer we'd love to camp the majority of the way: are there campgrounds along the coast in Scotland, England, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway? we're waiting to see where we can fly into cheapest as to which section of the route we're going to do but we'd be interested in the beta on camping too. We're both experienced campers and don't need a developed campsite all the time but we also dont want to piss off the locals with not so stealthy camping either, ya know? I had thought I had heard about some friendly law in Scandinavia that allowed travelers to camp on property as they passed through... is that real or my imagination? other info on how to not stay in hotels/inns/hostels in this area of Europe would be helpful. thanks
Old 10-03-06, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Sweden and Norway you are free to camp whereever you want (including private property) as long as you don´t disturb anybody. Scandinavia in general is rediculously safe and you can pretty much camp anywhere without any trouble. Norway is the most scenic of the nordic countries but would also be the toughest to tour in due to topography and poor roads. Just ask away if you wan´t any more specific questions answered.
/Erik
Old 10-04-06, 01:27 PM
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Lots of campgrounds in Holland and Norway when I have been cycling there the last couple of summers.
Norway ain't cheap, so you may want to consider the free camping option, but I found in coastal areas there wasn't much solitude or flat ground between the roads and the water.

I prefer a mix of hostels, camping and B&B's depending on budget and weather.
Old 10-05-06, 01:46 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For camping in Denmark free or very cheaply, there is a book called "Overnatning i det fri" (Overnighting in the free open-air). Which has maps and descriptions of locations where free or dirt cheap camping is allowed. I have it and highly recommend it. Not being able to read Danish doesn't pose a problem as the maps and pictograms are self-explanatory.

You can get it here: https://www.teltpladser.dk/