Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

fenders for fenderless bikes???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a bike that rides really well for a tourer. Fitted it up nicely, just how I like it. Trouble is, I can't get fenders to fit the rear wheel - the gap is just that bit too small between tyre and brake boss.
Anyone know if there are any good full length options for frames where the fender won't fit. I'm wondering about something like those MTB fenders that clip to the down tube, but like I said, are full length to cope with real rain, not just mud splashes. or maybe come in two halves to bypass the brake boss. I'm sure I've seen some options around.
Old 10-07-06, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SKS Race Blades might work. https://www.rei.com/product/47611594.htm
Old 10-07-06, 05:24 PM
jon bon stovie

Bikes: bridgestone 400 fixed gear conversion, dawes touring bike (model unknown)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for rear tires, i have had good luck with the zefal swan mudguard. while it may not offer full wheel coverage, it does go back pretty far. i've ridden in hard rain with one of these and have been very satisfied with its performance. plus it weighs very little and can be angled down close to the tire. they attach to your seatpost and should clear over top of your brakes.

check it out:

https://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?no...oute&langue=an
Old 10-07-06, 05:52 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You can also built it into your rack system just get something to cover the rack. The are also gap fenders where the fender stops and picks up again on either side the of brace. You may have to make this yourself, but the basic idea is simple if you have some rivets. I just use some stainless sheet and I use copper boat rivets, though probably pop rivets or screw assemblies would work too.

https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/ima...llwood1_lg.jpg
Old 10-07-06, 06:21 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Heck, there is a kit:

https://www.rivercitybicycles.com/pro...roducts_id=613
Old 10-08-06, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot. I studied the split design, and fixed it up myself. Cut the fender, used some drilled strapping bent over the brake, drilled the fender and put it together with poor amn's rivets (cable ties) and now it works like a dream.

Again, many thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-06, 04:17 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You da man! Fun to customize your own ride. I made my own bamboo fenders, and it's always fun to be able to make your own design to fit the ride itself.
Old 10-09-06, 10:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bamboo... I had a dream of making a bamboo bike. I know some other chaps have done that, and one frame I saw looked beautiful. I always figured it was an excelent material. Strong, really light, flexible enough to ride smooth.

Here's a link.

https://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm
Old 10-09-06, 11:40 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've seen that bike, really an impressive build. I didn't know anyone had built bamboo fenders before I tried it. Though naturally one assumes someone has. I found an old picture of them later, apparently wooden fenders where pretty comon at one time. You can see a pic of mine on page 16 of the loaded rigs sticky above.
Old 10-09-06, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, those are great. Nice job, really impressive. You should market them. I'd buy a set. Nice bike as well.
Old 10-10-06, 12:13 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Too kind. One of those projects that incorporates a lot of stuff: Woodworking, fiberglassing (insides), boat rivets, tig welding. By the end I almost couldn't afford myself! In Asia they could probably knock them out for cheap.