Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Technium ID?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Technium ID?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 11:06 PM
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Raleigh Technium ID?

Found this Technium Tri-Lite at a garage sale for $5. Wondering if anyone can identify the model of the frame. Or was it the gruppos that set model heirarchy?

Please forgive the scenic backdrop, and the previous owner's comfort bar arrangement. Serial #R803970196 indicates it's 1987. Not sure what's original on it. Maybe the crankset and front derailleur? It's got steal lugs, steel headtube, 6061 aluminum front triangle tubing, steel chainstays and seatstays, and forged (I think) dropouts with adjuster screws.

Parts Bin Special Gruppo:

Sakae SX double crankset
Suntour Infinity 5000 FD
RSX brifters 2x7
RX100 brakes, RD, and hubs
Shimano HG 7 sp cassette
Sun Mistral 700c rims
Centurian dropbars
Cromed steel fork with eyelets

Alas, the frame is too small for me at 52 cm.

Last edited by JunkYardBike; 10-07-06 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 01:55 AM
Dropped

Was thinking in terms of this:

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I believe you're talking about the Technium Tri-Lite series which went, top to bottom: Tinley, Prestige, Pro 105, Comp and Pre. 1988 would be correct. Assuming that both both bicycles are a proper fit and roughly equal in condition, I'd take the 105 bicycle, as SIS indexed better than Accushift and replacement parts are much easier to find.
Is it Tinley, Prestige, etc? Or can this only be determined by component group? Did paint schemes differ? Mine has no markings other than "Raleigh" "Tri-Lite" and "Aluminum" on the frame.

Or is this bike so insignificant that it doesn't even really matter?
Old 10-09-06, 04:18 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
Was thinking in terms of this:

Is it Tinley, Prestige, etc? Or can this only be determined by component group? Did paint schemes differ? Mine has no markings other than "Raleigh" "Tri-Lite" and "Aluminum" on the frame.

Or is this bike so insignificant that it doesn't even really matter?
I have a Technium Pre, and Tri-lite is no where to be found on the bike. If this bike is like mine, it is an Aluminum main frame with steel chain and seat stays bonded not brazed together. As far as being insignificant, look at it as a very cheap relatively light responsive bike. I have two Technium series bikes that
that are certainly at a level of most midlevel bikes of that era.
Old 10-09-06, 01:46 PM
Dropped

Originally Posted by crazyb
I have a Technium Pre, and Tri-lite is no where to be found on the bike. If this bike is like mine, it is an Aluminum main frame with steel chain and seat stays bonded not brazed together. As far as being insignificant, look at it as a very cheap relatively light responsive bike. I have two Technium series bikes that
that are certainly at a level of most midlevel bikes of that era.
Thanks. The paint scheme leads me to believe it is a Scott Tinley, based on a vintage Raleigh website. But it's 1987, so who knows. It is a nice lightweight frame, and seems responsive though it's hard to tell with riding it with only one pedal and one pedal stem.

Anyone interested in this frame gratis? I'll be taking the wheels, the brifters are spoken for, and I might keep some other parts. Maybe I'll leave the cranks. You can have the one remaining plastic platform pedal too!
Old 10-09-06, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not a Tinley, probably the model below. The Tinley had yellow paint. I think its the prestige IIRC. My Tinley had suntour cyclone 7000 components. Looks like the bike has some upgrades during its life. The fork should be painted not chrome. When I had the Tinley it was 6speed fw, not 7 speed.

Good luck.
Old 10-09-06, 03:49 PM
Dropped

Originally Posted by kgatwork
It is not a Tinley, probably the model below. The Tinley had yellow paint. I think its the prestige IIRC. My Tinley had suntour cyclone 7000 components. Looks like the bike has some upgrades during its life. The fork should be painted not chrome. When I had the Tinley it was 6speed fw, not 7 speed.

Good luck.
It has yellow bands!

Components are definitely cobbled together from more "recent" equipment. The hubs and RD are RX100, which I believe are early 90s. FD and cranks are likely original. RSX brifters are probably an add-on. Fork has eyelets, but there isn't much room for fenders!

Thanks for your info!
Old 10-09-06, 06:08 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Junkyardbike, the best I can do is post some information from the almost all original Technium I sold earlier this year. It's a 1986 model. The rear deraileur was a Suntour LePree. It was a six speed with Sugino cranks, but I forget the model cranks. (But it had both pedals! )
Edit: I think it was a '420' Technium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh Tech.JPG (79.0 KB, 123 views)
Raleigh.JPG (96.6 KB, 89 views)
Raleigh LePREE Der.JPG (97.5 KB, 86 views)
Raleigh Headbadge.JPG (45.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 10-09-06, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a little more research, because I really don't remember the paint scheme. Looks like Teal/gray/yellow was a paint scheme (according to Sheldon Browns web site). You'd think I'd remember the paint scheme for my first "real" road bike, I guess 20 years is a long time. I guess the bike wasn't that memorable after all.

I just found a picture for you check out this link. That was the color my bike. The teal/gray/yellow was the model below the scott tinley.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/233084-mountian-bike-convert-bought-raliegh-trilite-please-help.html

Last edited by kgatwork; 10-09-06 at 09:18 PM.