Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Too much proofide?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Too much proofide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much proofide?

I took my new brooks team pro s out for its first ride yesterday (35 mi), and yeah, it felt pretty damn hard on my sitbones (but not insufferable). Today I applied proofide for the first time (top and bottom), but I think I applied way too much. It was softer and gooier than I expected too.
What should I do? Do I need to let it sit for longer than overnight now? You can't ruin a saddle from just one application of too much proofide, right?
Old 10-08-06, 02:17 PM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
cook it in with a hairdryer.

nows about the time of year i start crayoning beeswax into my Brooks saddles along with proofhide or snoseal or obenauf's.

use a hair dryer and cook it in, no biggie. it will actually make the brooks more water repellant, the more glop you can force it to absorb.
Old 10-09-06, 04:25 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am in the process of working over my brides new Brooks Lady's Saddle I heated the leather with a blow drier then covered the bottom with a heavy layer of proofhide, and covered the top with proofhide. Allowed it to soak in, wiped the top off and installed it on her bike. It will probably get an extra coating of proofhide on the bottom in a month or two. Then the ocassional coating and wipe off on the top as it breaks in. She is a very low mileage rider.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 10-09-06 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 07:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
nows about the time of year i start crayoning beeswax into my Brooks saddles
That's what I do, too.
Works great, just make sure you get the underside coated really well.
Old 10-09-06, 10:56 PM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just rub it in as much as you can, and then let it sit overnight. It'll be fine.
Old 10-09-06, 11:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much are you supposed to be able to wipe off in the morning? There didn't seem to be much residue.

And what kind of bike is that fancy lady's saddle going on? It's very impressive.
Old 10-10-06, 02:06 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proofide is mostly beeswax. It's the oils that they add that can over-condition the leather, but you won't hurt a Pro with one heavy application. Those things are thick. The others are right, heat the saddle (I use the oven on low) and let things absorb. Later, when it cools, you can buff off any residue on the top with a cloth. Go easy on the Proofide. You can use alot of SnoSeal, tho. It has no oils so it won't soften the hide. Heat the saddle and apply liberally to the bottom only. Your motion and body heat will draw the beeswax thru within a couple weeks.
Old 10-10-06, 02:16 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One other thing:
Brooks Pro saddles are not designed to ever be soft and pliable. They are a true performance road-type and are meant to be very firm. They are probably comfortable as perches and have all the absorptive wicking characteristics of hide leather, but any rider that buys one should understand that they will never be like a thinner gage hide.
Old 10-10-06, 03:21 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garagegirl
How much are you supposed to be able to wipe off in the morning? There didn't seem to be much residue.
Hopefully none. That would mean your saddle absorbed the proofhide. You're now good to go. No stress, enjoy the ride.
Old 10-10-06, 08:02 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by garagegirl

And what kind of bike is that fancy lady's saddle going on? It's very impressive.
I just wipe off whatever is left over. Usually not too much. The saddle is going on a 1970 17" Raleigh Colt ladies frame. My wife is 5'-1" and has a hard time finding a bike to fit. We got the Colt as a door prize at a recent British Cycling event. I had never seen one until that day. She had been riding a 21" ladies framed 3 speed but it was too large for her. The Colt is a perfect fit. With a wicker market basket on the front it has become her favorite bike to ride to the video rental store and the grocery store.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon