Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeaky wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Squeaky wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squeaky wheel?

My stumpjumper is only about a month and a 1/2 old, and i keep it clean. But i am getting a squeak that is intermittant. It happens even when i am coasting, so it's not the crank. It sounds like dry metal rubbing. The bike being new i'm sure the wheel bearings are fine, so i'm thinking it must be an axel. I can't tell if it's front or rear, tho i think it's front. I took the wheel off and inspected the axel. It seems somewhat dry, so i need to grease it. What kind of grease can i get at a hardware store that will be good for this? Or is most any regular grease fine?

Also, any suggestions for isolating whats causing this?

Thanks..
Old 03-23-03, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try to make the squeak happen when you are not riding the bike, in other words, elevate the front wheel and spin it then listen for the squeak. Then repeat with the rear wheel. It sounds to me like it might be the seals on the hubs that protect the bearings and cones from water and other contaminants. These are usually made from rubber and they fit snugly on the outer edge of the hub. Sometimes they need a little chain lube on them because they rub very lightly on the hub body as it spins because they stay stationary. This sometimes causes them to squeak. Try a little lube on them and see what happens.

-Ryan
Old 03-23-03, 04:49 PM
I ride a REAL Schwinn!

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City (stock), '00 Schwinn Moab 3 (very upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would tend to think that it was the hub also, as long as you have elminated any disc brake rubbing that could be occurring. Try what BikerRyan suggested and see if that works. I seriously doubt its got anything to do with the axel itself. If you're looking for a grease from the hardwear store, I know you want to avoid certain types because they are often mean to be used at higher temperatures than can be achieved on the bike while riding, so they stay too solid or just aren't that effective. I've used Park brand (Pick up at your LBS) grease in the squeeze-tube form for a while for bearings and other applications requiring grease and have been very happy with it.

-Moab
Old 03-23-03, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i'll keep that in mind, but it really sounds like it's a definate metal to metal thing, not rubber.
Thanks for going to the trouble to upload that pic by the way......
Old 03-23-03, 05:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a can of grease in the garage......is it any good?......

"Valvoline multi-purpose grease.........disc brake wheel bearings, chassis, suspension, universal joints.......extreme pressure, high temp protection". I would think if it can handle that it should be easily good enough for bicycle pressures. It's in a blue cardboard can and the grease is red colored.

UPDATE: Used that grease on the front axel and problem solved.

Last edited by dazco; 03-23-03 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 05:52 PM
Kev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a grease specificaly designed for bicycles. That grease is meant for cars, and is alot thicker then bicycle grease so might work as well. Grase is cheap, I would go down to your LBS and pickup some.