Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Police bike auction - loads of pics

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 02:26 PM
sport fanatic

Bikes: Trek 4300, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've uploaded about 60 pics I took today at the main Dublin depot for stolen bikes - there's about 150 bikes being auctioned tomorrow morning (11am Kevin St. Garda Station for any Dubs here).

I was pretty disappointed with the general level of bikes - 95% cheap MTBs, several hybrids, 1 Raleigh 3 speed and a Trek 1000 missing a rear wheel.

The 2 big piles outside are of trash lots - these can only be purchased as one lot each, and must be removed from the police station within 3 days.

https://amdsoft.com/2006/10/11/garda-...tion-pictures/

Anyone spot anything really good that I missed?
Old 10-11-06, 02:42 PM
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I skimmed over the first couple of pics and saw a Trek 3500 and a Trek 7210. Not the top end of Trek's line, but considerably better than most of the bikes there. I'd probably grab the 1000 and replace the rear wheel.
Old 10-11-06, 02:57 PM
sport fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I took "better" pics of the Treks, Dawes and the Specialized I could see. There's an awful lot of muck that you can be glad I didn't zoom in on

I was talking to the cop watching over the shed, he said most stuff would be go between 90-180 euros (~$110-230 USD I guess - remember bikes cost more here). Not shown in the pics are at least 30 people looking at the bikes - I bet there's a lot heading to the auction. I spoke to 1 guy intent on bidding on the 1000 and some others just looking for beaters (lot of that).

I'm not feeling the best so I think I'll pass on heading in there, I think it'd be a waste of time and the deals will probably be not as good as they appear. Like, e.g. say the Trek 100 eventually goes for 250 euros (not unreasonable - it's the only road bike, and 1/2 decent). It would be a real disappointment to find some frame damage after the fact (didn't get a great look at it).

See any of the frames (e.g. Dawes Mojave, one of the Crossroads - I saw the cross makeover!) worth more than $180?
Old 10-11-06, 03:05 PM

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The folding bike on the top of the pile looks cool.
Old 10-11-06, 04:08 PM
sport fanatic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My post from Classic forum (there's a 3spd in there)... Apparently it's every 6 months. Here's the dates I could find with 5 minutes looking.

24th May 2001
17th October 2002
25th March 2004
10th March 2005
6th October 2005
XXth April 2006
12th October 2006
Great blog entry called "Zen And The Art Of Pedal Cycle Theft" by a guy in Dublin who goes looking for his stolen bike (he even had a pic of the thief).

https://www.indymedia.ie/article/72315

Originally Posted by Irish Sunday paper
The Garda bicycle auction is always a colourful event. Held every six months or so at Kevin Street Garda Station in Dublin, it attracts cyclists looking for a bargain and a decent push-bike.The bicycles on the block were usually stolen and came into the possession of the Gardai. Spotted at last week's auction were Dublin comedian David O'Doherty, and Irish Times journalist Paul Cullen, who was sitting in the front row.

The Last Post managed to secure three bargains in the early stages of the auction - two spiffing second hand mountain bikes, for €200 and €60, and a fold-up bike for €100.

The Last Post has had several bicycles stolen in recent years. One cunning thief even lifted the bike over a Stop sign, bending the sign itself in the process. Unfortunately, we didn't spot our old stolen bikes at last Thursday morning's auction.

Most of the best-looking bicycles were sold last week for up to €200. Some very good bargains to be had indeed.
Old 10-11-06, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Irrespective of the quality of the bikes in all the photos, does anyone feel a sense of ... sorrow... about this?

I did when I saw my first truckload of dead bicycles ready to be dragged away to the metal recycling depot. And I do about this lot, especially the pile outside.

Interestingly, I bet there are a lot of forks, rims, brakes, stems, hubs and freewheels people will be hunting around for in years to come that will go instead somewhere not related to bikes (the big hot furnace in the sky).
Old 10-12-06, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I picked up a few 'new' bike for my kids at a police auction, a Trek, and a Bianchi. Got both for $75. There was an x-mart MTB that went for $100+ way more that it was worth, but it was shiney and had dual suspension, but it was a POS, go figure. If you do get on of these bikes, plan on a complete tear down, and replacing or upgrading a few parts.
BTW both of the bikes I got had 'EVDIENCE' tags, with a case number.