Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 12:55 PM
Steel is Real.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Question

Here's one for you. My cousin went to go for a ride the other day, pulled the bike down and part of the front hub fell on the floor. Wheels are Bontrager Race X-Lites. Trek is doing a warranty replacement of the front wheel only. So he's getting the new Ti wheel, however they won't replace them as a pair. They want $350 for a new rear so he'd have a matching pair. I'm thinking he should sell the wheels separately on Ebay or something and go with a set of Open Pros with DA or Ultegra hubs. He might come out with some cash in hand from that. He's also thought about getting the rear and selling them as a pair. Not sure how he'd do on that. The set retails for $800, but the Trek Store has them on sale for $550. Any opinions on this?

Thanks
Old 10-14-06, 01:32 PM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Open Pro/Ultegra combo would most likely be more durable, but the Bontrager's are probably a lot lighter.

Does your cousin race?

If it were me, I'd buy the matching rear, keep the Bontragers on hand as a pair of race wheels, and build up a set of Open Pro/Ultegra wheels for training. Then he would have a set of race wheels, a set for training/race-spares, and an extra rear wheel to put a crappy tire on for use on the trainer.
Old 10-14-06, 04:36 PM
Embracing the fredness

Bikes: Habanero Ti ,Trek Pilot 2.1 , Niner Jet9 29'r, Giant Cadex 380

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate Bontrager wheels...I have cracked 2 rears...ok they are selects...and I am 210 lbs..but still
trek and the lbs tell me to get the better race lites or x-lites..I think not...
They also ogo out of true too easy...my buddy has same set and his also go out of true and he is 185
I am getting a pair of cusotm built Mavic OP/ultegra! I want them bulletproof!!
Old 10-15-06, 03:01 PM
Steel is Real.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's not a racer, so he may just sell the X-Lites and do the Pro's. The other choice for a good set of wheels are the Velocity Uriel's or Spartacus.
Old 10-15-06, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started on my Bonts at 185lbs and after 11000 miles and 13 pounds of lost weight I am still riding them. The minimum bladed spoke design isnt for everyone but mine have never gone out of true and ride like a dream. Sometimes it feels like I can coast faster on them that some people can pedal especially on descents...YMMV!
Old 10-15-06, 08:23 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually considering these two options too.