Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wheel reconditioning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

wheel reconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheel reconditioning

Hey all. I just received a used wheelset on eBay. probably not the best deal as the hubs need overhauling, and the wheels are out of true. Worst of all, it seems the wheelbuilder wasn't a big fan of spoke prep and I've already rounded off a couple of nipples. I'm thinking of tearing down the wheels and rebuilding, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone has run into rims that are out of round (as in a bump) right around the seam, because mine has this, and I want to know if it's likely to get any better when I rebuild the wheel. It's the rear wheel, a deep-section Ambrosio laced 3x with heavy straight gauge spokes.

Second question: when Chorus hubs (from around 1995) start to click, has the previous owner basically trashed them, or are they worth salvaging?

Last question: are some of the teeth on the small cog of an 8-speed Campy cassette supposed to look like they're bent outwards?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-27-03, 02:37 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 03-27-03, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be sure to lubricate the nipples with a light lube. Hit both the area where the spoke enters the nipple and where the nipple exits the rim. Problems at the seam are common. When you say "bump" are you saying the rim moves away from the hub, or the rim is moving toward the hub, at that area? If the rim has not had an impact there, you should be able to minimize the problem, but it may never be perfect, yet is it likely to be useable.
See Wheel Truing

If the clicking if from worn cones, the hub would certainly be worth a rebuild.

The teeth on many modern systems appear to wobble back and forth. This is a design to help shifting. Spin a new cogset if you can find one to compare.
Old 03-27-03, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I said bump, I meant the opposite of flat spot, about an eigth of an inch high. I tried to get some Boeshield lubricant into the nipple threads, but I still bruised my thumb winding up the stupid straight-gauge spokes several turns. Straight gauge isn't even more durable than swaged, since making the middle part thinner concentrates the natural stretching where it's least problematic.

Are deep-section rims like Ambrosio more likely to present problems when rebuilding if they're out of round to begin with?

Also, where's a regular guy like me supposed to buy cones and balls for my hubs? Will the LBS know which ones to sell based on just looking at the hub?

Thanks,
Ed