Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

suicide hub that dangerous?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really REALLY want to try fixed gear, I dont have a track hub, but is riding with a suicide hub really that bad? I will throw a BB lockting or 2 on there along with some locktite.
Thanks
Old 10-19-06, 10:10 PM
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
At least run a front brake and use it.....that way you won't have to worry about your cog unscrewing, BB lockring or no lockring.
Old 10-19-06, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't do it. Take the half paycheque it'll cost you and get a proper wheel. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-19-06, 10:42 PM
design twat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as much as we all will tell you to bite the bullet and get a real track wheel, there is really nothing wrong with trying it out suicide (if done right). Like Fixer said, use your brake and don't count on applying too much back pressure to the pedals...that is if you want to keep your teeth.

use a ton of red loctite and a sigle bb lockring.

-Robb
Old 10-19-06, 10:59 PM

Bikes: Steel geared. Steel Fix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sprint hub with lockring and changed the rear cog the other day before a ride.

As I went down my steep driveway I applied some backpressure and the cog momentarily slipped before tightening the lockring, maybe only for half a second but I surged forward about 2 metres... My fault, I'd undertightened it. BUT after that small experience I'd never ride on a suicide hub.

What if you are approaching an intersection when the suicide hub slips? All it takes is an extra 2 metres before you apply the brake and you are dead...

Notice the name - "Suicide hub". Its called that for a reason!! Don't do it!!
Old 10-20-06, 12:02 AM
Car magnet

Bikes: 80's Hoffy track frame 49x15, 80's guerciotti track 47x15(destroyd by a car), '78 ross conversion(RIP, died of old age), '06 fuji track(RIP, hit by a trolley), '75 Alan Aluminum(in the works)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you suicide hubs are totally cool in my book, i mean after welding the cassette solid on my first bike and mad stripping the hub, breaking the axle in half and bending the skewer like a horseshoe; a little red locktite and a cog and BB lockring seems like a dream. But unless you have a deathwish, drop some money and get something you know ain't gonna break. cause you don't want to blow a cog of a road hub right in front of an intersection. trust me it sucks.
Old 10-20-06, 12:27 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem at all with suicide if you use your brains. Tighten it like a gorilla (rotafixa). Loctite for good measure and leave a brake on. If you skid, keep in mind that it may spin off, esp in the first weeks. If you don't skid, it'll last forever, I promise.
Old 10-20-06, 01:38 AM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no there not that dangerous and yes we need more people like you in the gene pool!!??!!
Old 10-20-06, 01:39 AM
Fissato Italiano

Bikes: Fixed Gear & Single Speed Only

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas
No problem at all with suicide if you use your brains. Tighten it like a gorilla (rotafixa). Loctite for good measure and leave a brake on. If you skid, keep in mind that it may spin off, esp in the first weeks. If you don't skid, it'll last forever, I promise.
+1

A properly done "suicide hub" is going to fail only with hard skiddind, it's a good and inexpensive way to TRY fixed gears, if you like it you can buy a good rear hub later on.
Old 10-20-06, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the replies, If I like fixed, I will get a track hub and lace up a new wheel, but I really want to try it out before I commit to it. I will likely leave both brakes instlled, just because im to lazy to take one off just while I am trying it out.

I will probably give it a try tommorrow and we will see how it goes.
Old 10-20-06, 05:41 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use this method (the one LF recommended) to get your cog on tight.
Old 10-20-06, 07:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I 'tried out' a 'suicide hub' 18 years ago....long before the term 'suicide hub' (or even 'fixie' for that matter existed). It wasnt a 'testing the waters' thing, it was a 'this is what many people have been doing for 60 years' thing.

anyway, I'm still riding a freewheel hub 18 years later and have never had an incident.

My $.02
Old 10-20-06, 08:58 AM
Triathlon = Eat/Bike/Nap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevo
I 'tried out' a 'suicide hub' 18 years ago....long before the term 'suicide hub' (or even 'fixie' for that matter existed). It wasnt a 'testing the waters' thing, it was a 'this is what many people have been doing for 60 years' thing.

anyway, I'm still riding a freewheel hub 18 years later and have never had an incident.

My $.02
'That's good.' I'm glad that has 'worked out for you,' but 'this kid' should still 'be careful' about 'skidding' on a 'suicide hub.' I mean, 'you' don't 'ride brakeless' on your 'suicide hub' do 'you?'

Also, I don't get the OP saying "I'll probably leave both brakes on because I'm too lazy to take one off." Yeah, back pressure on the pedals is great and all, but can you think of a reason other than fashion not to have 2 brakes? Yeah, weight, whatever, nobody's going to go out and do time trials on their suicided Schwinn.

That said, I only have 1 brake, because my Flock of Seagulls haircut and my Urban Outfitters wardrobe and I are slaves to fashion.
Old 10-20-06, 08:59 AM
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying it out isn't a bad idea. Use a brake as a failsafe. My friend's suicide hub came apart a few weeks ago, due to a poor chainline and aided by the use of blue loc-tite. Fortunately we live in a flat area and she had a front brake to boot.
Old 10-20-06, 09:42 AM
the goal

Bikes: Bob Jackson track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will work forever as long as you are using a brake. If you want to take your brakes off, then get a track hub. You probably shouldn't do that until you are pretty confident on a fixed with brakes.
Old 10-20-06, 09:54 AM
o.O

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you use the bb lockring it won't come off, even if you lose the brakes.
but don't lose the brakes, because then you'll be slow.
Old 10-20-06, 10:00 AM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My first wheel: cleaned all threads with a wire brush and naphtha, applied JB Weld to cog and hub threads, rotafixed the cog on, applied JB Weld to BB lockring and hub threads, torqued down w/ lockring wrench. Yes, I used a front brake. No, the cog is never comming off. Ever.

Old 10-20-06, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seggybop
if you use the bb lockring it won't come off, even if you lose the brakes.
WTF? Of course it can. The BB lockring unscrews the same way as the cog, it just gives more threads to grab and be loctited in place.
Old 10-20-06, 10:24 AM
o.O

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A while ago, some testing was attempted. When we tried it without any loctite at all (grease only), the lockring still wouldn't come off. Later I tried reverse rotafix with the lockring in place, and stripped the hub without moving the ring.
Old 10-20-06, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I commend your efforts, recommending it as infallible might be overstating it.
Old 10-20-06, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by explody pup
My first wheel: cleaned all threads with a wire brush and naphtha, applied JB Weld to cog and hub threads, rotafixed the cog on, applied JB Weld to BB lockring and hub threads, torqued down w/ lockring wrench. Yes, I used a front brake. No, the cog is never comming off. Ever.
I wouldn't say never. I JB Welded my BB's fixed cup to my BB shell a couple years ago and just last week I felt some play with my cranks and lo and behold, the fixed cup was fixed no more.

To the OP... I applied loctite and rotafixed my suicide hub and it hasn't come undone on me yet. I probably just jinxed myself and will run into trouble on my lunch time ride today. Thanks! I am in the process of saving up to have a true fixed hub built up around a Mavic Open Pro rim I have laying around.
Old 10-20-06, 11:44 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
WTF? Of course it can. The BB lockring unscrews the same way as the cog, it just gives more threads to grab and be loctited in place.

that is not all it does.
Old 10-20-06, 12:06 PM
explody pup

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by progre-ss
I wouldn't say never. I JB Welded my BB's fixed cup to my BB shell a couple years ago and just last week I felt some play with my cranks and lo and behold, the fixed cup was fixed no more.
Yeah, okay, I was exagerating. There's always a possibility of failure, whether or not you're using the right tool for the job.

Old 10-20-06, 12:43 PM
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
that is not all it does.
sorry to be a dick and i get your point, but this [sentence] gives me a headache.
Of Proposition 187
Old 10-20-06, 01:17 PM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done a couple fixed gear experiments on suicide hubs without any lockring at all. I wasn't really worried. I had two brakes on the bike and had no intention of skidding by backpressure on the pedals. I wouldn't go brakeless or do any skidding with a suicide hub, but otherwise it doesn't seem dangerous.

BTW, two like threaded nuts on a bolt do provide more resistance to unthreading than a single nut. People run 700 RPM wood shapers in reverse with only a double nut on the spindle to hold the half pound steel cutter on. It's common practice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.