Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Is the ellipitical trainer accurate?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't see how it's possible for me to burn 800 calories in an hour without feeling it. The only difference between the elliptical trainer and the treadmill should be that there's no impact on bones and joints, but there's no way that I could burn that many calories on a treadmill or stairmaster. Can someone please explain how the ellipitical trainer works? And I know that this isn't a case of one inaccurate ellipitical, because all of the ones I have used are like that.
Old 10-22-06, 10:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have good feelings. It isn't possible to burn 800 calories in an hour without feeling it. The values presented are a lot higher than reality.

People like to see high numbers.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 10-23-06, 05:40 AM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Does it factor in your age, gender, and weight? If not then most definetly it is just spitting out a generic number for cals burnt. Most of the time they produce nice high numbers so you feel good about your workout and keep coming back and keep paying you monthly dues. Later.
Old 10-23-06, 12:31 PM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have run, done the elliptical and biked, and the eliptical always feels like more of a workout than just about anything else. Since you have resistance on both the up and downward strokes, I can see why it would be more of a workout than a bike and even the treadmill. But one thing to consider is that not using your hands is even more of a workout since you have to use your legs to balance as well. Who knows what those calories burned values correspond to(hands or no hands). I guess you could always call the manufacturer.
Old 10-23-06, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can do 800 cal in an hour on the elliptical (verified by HRM) but I have to go HARD which is what I think you mean by feeling it. I think the readout on the machine averages about 20% high even after putting in age and weight. That would make a 800 calorie workout about 640 calories which, for me is a pretty leisurely pace.
Old 10-23-06, 06:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risc
I can do 800 cal in an hour on the elliptical (verified by HRM) but I have to go HARD which is what I think you mean by feeling it. I think the readout on the machine averages about 20% high even after putting in age and weight. That would make a 800 calorie workout about 640 calories which, for me is a pretty leisurely pace.
thanks, that's really good to know. Too bad most of the people I see at the gym don't know that...
Old 10-24-06, 12:44 AM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only use it to gauge my workout for that machine. I usually hit between 800-900 calories, so I just use it as motivation for the next time, not as something to brag about or put into any calorie counter diet.
Old 11-06-06, 01:08 PM
Tora Tora Tora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As part of my gym routine, I do 32 minutes on the elliptical and always try and hit 700 calories burnt. Now, I'm going pretty hard (70-80 rpm), I'm in my 30s and I have it on the 16 (out of 20) difficulty setting. I don't think I'm *really* burning 700 calories, but it's my milestone/goal. And when I'm done, I'm totally bathed in sweat and ready to hit the stair master.