Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with child carrier hardware

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Folks.

I am hoping someone can help me figure out what parts I need for an old child carrier.

I junk picked it today - just what I have been looking for to freight groceries and stuff. I already used it today to hand-push some fireplace logs.

Anyway, please see the attached pics. There are no identifying marks on it, so I do not know who to contact for parts.

Does anybody know the manufacturer of this child carrier?

Does anybody have a pic of the hardware that connects the carrier to the bike? That hardware is missing.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike carrier side view.jpg (6.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-24-06, 09:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a pic of the end of the bar that connects to the bicycle.

I don't have the part that connects it to the bike.

Does anybody have a pic of what it looks like or know where I can get one?

Thanks

-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike carrier attachment.jpg (4.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-24-06, 10:27 AM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.tinyride.com/%20Chariot-E...9&kwd=20100709)

I saw this in a thread about a custom DIY trailer not to sure if it would work for you

Old 10-24-06, 04:21 PM

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A buddy has a trailer for his bike (he's got 3 kids) that uses the same hitch you've shown, it's a metal plate with a tube/bar on it that clamps under the axle bolt so it points towards the rear, the bar on that fits into the end of the tube on the trailer tongue, clip goes through the holes in the tongue, and one drilled in the bracket, then a strap is secured around the stay in case the pin pulls freem so the trailer is still attached to the bike.

would be fairly easy to build one, the trailer my buddy has was purchased at k-mart or similar, may be a good starting place to look for one, then see what they charge for a replacement.

I've been thinking of picking one up for use on camping rides, and for light hauling duty. During the summer I pretty much live on my bike, the only reason I don't commute is because I normally need to haul a couple hundred pounds of tools and I may have to go 5 miles or 105 each way.

Ken.
Old 10-24-06, 05:10 PM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This carrying 300lbs

This carrying 1000 lbs

bikesatwork.com
Old 10-24-06, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I might consider buying an "Alternative Hitch" from Burley. It attaches to your bike by replacing your rear wheel skewer. You'll still have to figure a way to bolt it onto your trailer's tongue, but I doubt that will be very hard.
Old 10-25-06, 07:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kendall
A buddy has a trailer for his bike (he's got 3 kids) that uses the same hitch you've shown, it's a metal plate with a tube/bar on it that clamps under the axle bolt so it points towards the rear, the bar on that fits into the end of the tube on the trailer tongue, clip goes through the holes in the tongue, and one drilled in the bracket, then a strap is secured around the stay in case the pin pulls freem so the trailer is still attached to the bike.

would be fairly easy to build one, the trailer my buddy has was purchased at k-mart or similar, may be a good starting place to look for one, then see what they charge for a replacement.

I've been thinking of picking one up for use on camping rides, and for light hauling duty. During the summer I pretty much live on my bike, the only reason I don't commute is because I normally need to haul a couple hundred pounds of tools and I may have to go 5 miles or 105 each way.

Ken.
Ken, would it be possible for you to post a photo for me?
Old 10-25-06, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
will try to get a photo

I'll stop by his house afterwork thursday and see if I can get a photo, the trailer he has is just like yours where it hooks up, tube with a spring in it to provide flex so you don't need a 'ball' type mount, it's a decent assembly for it, not as prone to wear like a ball mount, some have a rubber tube in side the spring which can crack with age, but pull it out and slip in a chunk of hose and you're good again, others have a left wound spring inside a right wound spring, splash a little oil on them every now and again and they last forever.

I'll try to get maker info also, have to stop and fix their furnace anyway!

Ken.
Old 10-25-06, 07:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kendall
I'll stop by his house afterwork thursday and see if I can get a photo, the trailer he has is just like yours where it hooks up, tube with a spring in it to provide flex so you don't need a 'ball' type mount, it's a decent assembly for it, not as prone to wear like a ball mount, some have a rubber tube in side the spring which can crack with age, but pull it out and slip in a chunk of hose and you're good again, others have a left wound spring inside a right wound spring, splash a little oil on them every now and again and they last forever.

I'll try to get maker info also, have to stop and fix their furnace anyway!

Ken.
Ken, try to find out what make his rig is. Maybe I can buy parts for it. Thanks a million.

-Mike
Old 10-26-06, 11:18 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I might consider buying an "Alternative Hitch" from Burley. It attaches to your bike by replacing your rear wheel skewer. You'll still have to figure a way to bolt it onto your trailer's tongue, but I doubt that will be very hard.
For the price of the Burley Alternative Hitch, you could probably buy a complete Instep trailer off your local craigslist. I've seen old Burleys for only $50 or so..!
Old 10-26-06, 02:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, didn't get the name of the carrier, but snagged a couple photos of the hitch, they're here in the album 'hitch'

https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/merc2dogs/my_photos

I use yahoo photos as a kind of catch all for whenever I need to show something, lots of junk there.

He has it on one of those denali walmart bikes, and he shops a lot at walmart, so that's likely where they got the trailer. may check there and see if they sell replacements.

Ken.
Old 10-26-06, 03:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks a million, Ken. Yes, that photo makes sense for the trailer I have. ouch that is a special piece - not much chance I can cob it up.

Any chance you can ask the owner for the make of the trailer so I can try to purchase the hitch?
Old 10-26-06, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not too special, it's not a casting, it is a weldment, solid bar welded to a 'washer' essentialy, looks to be turned for a shoulder, but that could be 'fixed' with a bit of tube slipped over it.

called him, master cycle, availabl;e at walmart, not sure how you'd go about getting spares from walmart though.

here's the trailer listing from walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4347465

enlarge image, and it even has the hitch in the pic.

cheap, but not cheap enough to buy just for the hitch.

Ken.
Old 10-26-06, 04:09 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It looks a lot like the same style that pacific cycles is using for the schwinn trailer. I have a schwinn trailer that is pretty new, but the hitch looks pretty similar.