Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

crappy weather thoughts and questions

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 10:46 PM
backwoods bicycle militia

Bikes: 2019 FIT PRK, 2019 WTP Avenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there's been a million questions about rain, but I thought I'd add mine to the pile.

Cold doesn't bother me at all (I *love* snow rides), but serious thunderstorms like what are coming in tomorrow do. I live in tornado alley, and while it's not tornado season, we get some nasty storms (straightline winds, etc.).

I'm not going to be able to commute tomorrow due to major storms and a lack of fenders. In dry weather, I use my fixie for commuting but in crummy weather, I use my cross country bike. I generally bolt a rack on as my panniers are more waterproof than my messenger bags.

"I told you all of that to ask you this."

Can anyone suggest some fenders for a mountain bike ('04 Gary Fisher Wahoo) that can be easily removed? What about a rack with a simmilar approach? I currently have a "Bor Yueh" (sp?) rack and I love it, but it's sometimes a pain to take on and off.

I'd rather not put the fixie through any terrible conditions as I just finished building it and I'm a little attached to it. I still use the xc bike for rides during the week and on the weekend, hence the need for some sort of quick removal of parts.

Secondly, how bad is rain for a bike? I've heard a lot of people say that it can seriously damage a bike. That or snowy conditions.

Last, but not least, what do most of you do for keeping your feet dry? I've got some mesh topped Answer Palisades that I actually put fleece lined toe covers over to help a bit. On particularly wet days, I stuff some cling-wrap down in them. If you think that's ghetto, I use a shower cap as a helmet cover!

I jumped into commuting a few months ago a little un-prepared, but I love it. I've got a bmx (childhood) and mountain biking background, so it was just a natural extension of my usual rides. I worry about messing up my XC bike by taking it through rain/snow because I'm not ready to purchase another bike. I think my girlfriend would kill me if I bought another, I've already got 3!

Thanks for your time, and I apologize for rambling. It's pretty late and I'm a little bummed that I can't ride to work tomorrow!

cmh
Old 10-24-06, 11:34 PM

Bikes: Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbsc
Secondly, how bad is rain for a bike? I've heard a lot of people say that it can seriously damage a bike. That or snowy conditions.

Last, but not least, what do most of you do for keeping your feet dry? I've got some mesh topped Answer Palisades that I actually put fleece lined toe covers over to help a bit. On particularly wet days, I stuff some cling-wrap down in them. If you think that's ghetto, I use a shower cap as a helmet cover!

cmh
It doesn't rain much here, but I've gotten stuck riding in it quite a few times. I ride my old beater mountain bike on days that we're expecting rain. Last week I rode home in the pictured slush/rain. Also, I never worry too much about my feet. I have a hiking boot that's a little water repellent, but in a lot of water, they get soaked.

Dry off your bike when you get home. This helps a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Wet_Sloppy_Ride 001.gif (46.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: gif
Wet_Sloppy_Ride 006.gif (55.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-24-06, 11:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain will damage your bike as much as it damages all the cars you see parked in driveways in the rain. Its metal, plastic and paint.
Old 10-25-06, 06:35 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
When it is raining hard before I start I use plastic baggies pulled over my toes (I have strap cages not clipless, but I figured I would just clip in through the baggie is I do). I also put a garbage bag over my backpack and tear holes for the shoulder straps. Then I throw them all away at the train station.

But I love having fenders all the time. Hey, it's a commuter.
Old 10-25-06, 10:45 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm assuming the reason you want detachable fenders is so they won't get packed up with mud?

Maybe get those gnarly fenders that look like something off a dirt motorcycle...?
Old 10-25-06, 10:58 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really don't think you're going to find easily removeavle fenders that provide any kind of real coverage. If you're really in a hurry to get fenders off, replacing the fender mounting hardware with wingnuts might help.
Old 10-25-06, 11:32 PM
backwoods bicycle militia

Bikes: 2019 FIT PRK, 2019 WTP Avenger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I'm assuming the reason you want detachable fenders is so they won't get packed up with mud?

Maybe get those gnarly fenders that look like something off a dirt motorcycle...?
I'd just like them to be quickly removed because we tend to go to the trail some afternoons directly after I get off work. That is, ride to the trail from the office or drive the half hour trip to the bigger trails. I usually have to spend some time removing my rack. Taking of fenders would be just as big of a pain.

Wingnuts sounds like a good idea. I've been in and out of my garage trying to scheme up some sort of reliable quick release for a rack and a set of fenders. I'll let everyone know if I come up with something.

cmh