Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rim width for 32s and beyond??

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-01-06, 08:44 AM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts

Sorry if this is a common question on this board.

I'm probably going to build up a cross frame for long distance commuting soon and I'm wondering about rim widths.

How narrow of a rim will work *well* with 32s? What about 35s? Along the same lines, what's the widest 700c tire to work well in a road racing wheel such as the Campy Nucleon wheelset?

Any other issues with narrow rims, such as limiting the brakes I can use?

Thanks
Old 11-01-06, 09:14 AM
The mods changed this...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using a 700x40 on the front on a standard FSA RD400 road rim and a 700x35 on the back on a CXP33. I've had no problems with either. Knocks on wood...sure as sh*t, I'll get a flat tonight...
Old 11-01-06, 12:24 PM
Get the stick.

Bikes: 12 Y.O. Litespeed MTB, IRO Jamie Roy fixie, Custom Habanero Ti 'Cross, No name SS MTB, Old school lugged steel track bike (soon)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out the ratio of tire to rim width on most MTB's. Way worse than any combination I could physically fit in my CX frame. I think ideally you would run a wider rim with wider tires, but you certainly don't have to.
Old 11-01-06, 01:58 PM
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run 28's and 35's on narrow rims and 32's and 38's on wider rims this year. The 700x35c IRC Mythos XC Slicks that are currently on my narrow Open Pros have a softer, squishier feel to them. I like that feeling in the rough stuff but I prefer to steer clear of it when carrying a load or taking hard corners on pavement. It feels like the tire is rolling out from under the rim and the squirm is unnerving if not outright dangerous. The 700x32c Randonneur Pros and 700x38c Ritchey Speedmax's on my 22mm wide Mavericks and CR18's have a much more stable, predictable feel to them with grocery bags in panniers or when riding with a slower roadie crowd. I guess it boils down to how you want the bike to handle.
Old 11-01-06, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I recall correctly, the rule of thumb for "what tires will fit on this rim" is to measure the inside width and multiply by 1.4 for the narrowest tire that will work and 2.0 for the widest that will fit without major danger of rolling the tire off. I forget where I saw that, maybe on Sheldon Brown's site.

That's not to say you can't do otherwise, of course...
Old 11-01-06, 04:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used 30's, and 34's on my MAvic open pro's. Techincally the Necleon's have a slightly wider rim than the open pro's so I think you're fine. I see a lot of guys with the open pro's at cross races so no worries.
Old 11-02-06, 04:05 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alreadyblue
I have used 30's, and 34's on my MAvic open pro's. Techincally the Necleon's have a slightly wider rim than the open pro's so I think you're fine. I see a lot of guys with the open pro's at cross races so no worries.
I put a set of Specialized tires in 32 on my OPs. Most of the riding is on the road or in fields etc. They look huge on those rims. I always worried about problems. So far no problems. Actually they work very well. I am just too cheap to get new wheels though.

Tim