Old 11-02-06, 11:59 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OCRR Holiday Ride Schedule

I received the following from Orange County Rebel Riders. They are offering some interesting holiday rides. It's a good group to do rides with if anyone is interested:

Friday, November 24th, the day after Thanksgiving. Heading for Carlsbad from the park. Using the newly opened Laguna Cyn, El Toro and then up and over Moulton and onward. After lunch at Fidels in Carlsbad we return to Oceanside to catch either Amtrak or Metrolink to come home.

Tuesday through Friday, December 26th through December 29th. This is the week between Christmas and New Years. There alot of companies and most schools that are off during this week. During that week the anti dinky riding program will be in full swing and will treat you to a number of remote starts and great rides.

Tuesday, December 26th, 9:00 am Remote start ride from Rio Java in Yorba Linda. The infamous Corona loop. A 37 mile loop, complete with a nice coffee and sticky bum stop at "Its a Grind" in Corona. This route has been riden many times by "Los Dos Vatos" (Art G and me) and it has always been alot of fun. The roads are smooth and lightly traveled.

Wednesday, December 27th,
8:00 am Heading for Oceanside from the park, Amtrak / Metrolink return.

Thursday, December 28th, 9:00 am, Remote start from Bob Henry Park, Newport Beach. Heading for Polly's Coffee and sticky buns. This is a 40 miler, and mostly, if not all, flat.

Friday, December 29th, 9:00 am Riding from Windrow Park and having breakfast at the Filling Station in Orange. A 35 miler and mostly flat with a couple of rollies.

So there it is, a good ride program to keep you in tune and out of trouble.

From Jess Guarderrama
OCRR
ocrebels@hotmail.com
Old 11-02-06, 02:58 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for posting that Pam!

Are you the Pam that rides with Carolyn? Or a different Pam?

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-02-06, 04:28 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rick, I am the Pam that works with Carolyn and got her started over at BCI but she did the turncoat thing and went to OCRR. So did my friend Mike Palmer. Traitors all!!!!

I might tackle one or two of the OCRR rides but just getting back from surgery am alittle slow and out of it right now.
Old 11-02-06, 04:32 PM
Resident Misogynist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any difference in the rides between BCI and OCRR?
Old 11-02-06, 04:40 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Clubs are fairly incestuous and they do alot of the same rides. Jess' tend to be more flexible and they tend to do more remotes. Also, OCRR does its long rides on Saturday and short on Sunday and BCI does it short on Saturday, long Sunday.

The Group is alittle different as well. BCI Is a larger club so it can seem inpersonal - OCRR is more like "family" which is why my friends have left BCI and moved to OCRR.

Rick can you add?

You can get ride information on the BCI rides by going to their website, bikeirvine.org, click "rides" check either Saturday or Sunday. Route slips are posted for each ride. All of BCI's rides start from Deerfield Park with a few remote exceptions.
Old 11-02-06, 04:55 PM
Resident Misogynist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually ride with BCI all the time. Only on Saturdays. After riding with them for 6 months I finally applied for membership just yesterday. They're a great bunch of people. The OCRR remote rides you just posted look pretty fun though, maybe I'll give them a shot.
Old 11-02-06, 05:14 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side:

I usually ride with BCI (obviously...) myself but both groups are great and I do rides with OCRR occasionally as well. I would give OCRR a try but don't stay there... come back to BCI!

Congrats on the membership... something you can't get at OCRR - a bone of contention between the two clubs. Dont' forget to use your membership card for discounts at all the sponsor bike shops. I got a big discount off my Spec. Stumpjumper FSR from RockNRoad. Always ask the shop if they give a BCI discount... it can save you real money!!!
Old 11-03-06, 08:59 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yes Pam,

I agree with all of that, although I've only ridden one BCI ride ever (the remote start to climb Palomar), as opposed to several hundred (thousnds?) with OCRR. I know Kathy Shapiro, Bob Davidson and Wayne Broadhog from BCI (and maybe you, if you're the Pam I'm thinking of . . .), but that's about it.

BCI is much more of a real "club," whereas OCRR is a non-club (no dues, no meetings, no officers, no political foolishness). To join OCRR, you just show up and ride with us. Presto, you're a member! Nothing to sign (no secret handshakes as Jess says), just ride.

Jess used to add "no rules" to the OCCR list, but now we have two rules:
1. Ride Safe
2. Wear a Helmet

So I would say to someone considering either BCI or OCRR, the best test is to ride with both the BCI Club and the OCRR non-club, and see which one suits you best, i.e. you feel most comfortable and happy with. Obviously, I'm very happy with OCRR, but I have nothing against BCI either.

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-03-06, 11:35 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just one thing to add... although BCI is a CLUB it is not necessary to be a member to ride with the group. You can also just show up and ride, we don't discriminate - even OCR riders are invited!

Since we are an organized club we do have sign-ins for the rides although no one is required to sign in (I usually don't I just grab a route slip and go). It's mostly for those folks who like to have their mileage recorded.

Bottom line both clubs are fun to ride with so come out and give both a shot!
Old 11-03-06, 05:39 PM
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OCRR Rules! :-)

But that's just my opinion.

Hey Rick... Are we ever gonna do another ride out to Tom's Farms? I wanna say we did it a couple years ago in the winter... cold ride, and some fun hills :-)

Jeff
Old 11-04-06, 05:17 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Jeff!

I didn't know your were on this forum!

Re: Ride to Tom's Farms, not that I know of but there is at least one Tom's Farms ride in my wife's double century training series, which starts in January. Jackie's double training series is now open to men (not just women anymore!) and of course you are welcome even if you don't plan to ride a double.

I should warn you, though, that several riders (mostly women) who didn't want to ride a double when they started the series have successfully completed at least one double (Terri, Jeri, Susan, Vickie, Roseanne) and several more have earned the California Triple Crown (Judy, Mary, Cathy Wagner, Cathi Waltmier, Linda and Kim), so there's a good chance you'll find yourself wanting to try one.

I know BCI has a Ride Around the Bear training series, but I'm not sure if they have a double century training series or not.

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-04-06, 09:36 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah BCI sticks to regular century training - those doubles are for weirdos!!!

Actually we have a number of triple crown riders in our group. I just don't get the double thing but different strokes...
Old 11-05-06, 11:39 AM
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Rick,

I've been bumping around here for about 4 years now, since I got back into riding. I dunno about doing a double, it seems like waaaay too long to be sitting on a bike! :-) But, then again, maybe i'll check out some of the rides anyway...

Oh, and I think I saw you riding up Cannon on Saturday about 9:20 or so, when I was heading back to the house to start paintiing... I woulda rather been on my bike! :-)

see ya around

Jeff
Old 11-05-06, 04:08 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Attn: BCIPam,

You're not the woman I thought you were! I asked the Pam that rides with Carolyn and she confirmed that she is not you. Glad we got that straightened out! Click on this photo:

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/Paner...2006/pic11.htm

The woman next to Carolyn, far left side of photo, i.e. on Carolyn's right (hopefully I have the right Carolyn!) is Pam. But still, not you. Definitely a Pam, though.

And I think you other friend who left BCI for the rebels is this gentleman (click for look):

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/RioJa...2006/pic03.htm

. . . but I could be wrong!

Anyway, if you ever see this goofey character:

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/Paner...2006/pic06.htm

This is me; aka: Rick@OCRR.

I will come on a BCI ride sometime to meet you. Or you could come on an OCRR ride, whichever. Jess says you are a VERY nice person, and he told me your last name, which sounded Japanese to me, but he (and Carolyn) assured me that you aren't Asian. So I was wrong about that too!

Here is a photo of Jess, but I know you know what he looks like!

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/Paner...2006/pic04.htm

Jess and Carolyn said you've had some medical problems recently, but that you're over that now and you look great!

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-05-06, 05:11 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rick for the photo... yes I am not that Pam. It's confusing cause I work with Carolyn.

The gentleman is definately my good buddy Mike Palmer.

I think I've met you or seen you out riding before... BTW were you doing the San Diego Creek trail today on a crusier? Guy sure looked like you. And most definatelyl I know Jess. Saw him last weekend at Daphne's after a ride and said hi. I owe him a dinner.

If you plan on doing a BCI ride let me know - I haven't been riding with them lately (it's been a weird year for me) but will go out to meet you if you do and I'm planning on doing the OCRR holiday rides. I like the Carlsbard idea.

Right now my riding is slow and labored. Hopefully my medical problems are behind me and I can get back to riding every weekend and spin during the week. I'm feeling old and out of shape right now. Oh well, like I haven't felt that before!!!

PS: absolutely love the new road kit - never like the "road chicken" outfit!
Old 11-05-06, 06:08 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
No Pam,

I have no idea where the San Diego creek trail is, and I don't own a cruiser. Several riders have told me that my evil twin is out there riding about, so that's probably who you saw!

I do have an old ('57) Hercules 3-Spd, which serves somewhat of a cruiser function, but it doesn't look like a cruiser in the usual sense. And it was perfect for The 3-Speed Tour earlier this year in MN and WI. An odd event, but quite fun (in an Olde British traditional way).

https://www.3speedtour.com/

If you click on "Photos 2006" there is a fine photo of me with my Hercules (photo number 5, first page) taken on the Wisconsin side of Lake Pepin!

However, I digress. Getting back to the point of this thread, I may see you on the OCRR Holiday rides at one time or another, but I'm off for three weeks in the U.K. as of this Wed. so it won't be any of the early ones. I'll let you know via bikeforums if I'm planning to ride a specific one.

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-05-06, 08:26 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaahhhhh Rick you have to know the Creek trail - it's the one that runs along UCI (University) towards Back Bay...

Well that guy I saw today did look just like you - scary!!!!

Have fun in England - a place I've always urged to travel... =someday=
Old 11-05-06, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Attn: BCIPam,

And I think you other friend who left BCI for the rebels is this gentleman (click for look):

https://www.ocrebels.com/images/RioJa...2006/pic03.htm

. . . but I could be wrong!
Oh, but you're not, Rick. 'Tis me.
Old 11-06-06, 01:05 AM
okay, maybe...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icengineer
Oh, but you're not, Rick. 'Tis me.
Hi Mike! How's it going????

Tracy
Old 11-06-06, 01:31 AM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
the last week of the yr is gonna be CRAZY for me as far as work goes, I'd LOVE to make some of these rides, hell I'll be happy if I can even ride a bike in that week.
Old 11-06-06, 08:55 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi BCI Pam,

Oh, so that's the name of that trail (San Diego Creek?)! News to me! Now that I think about it, I had no idea what the name of that trail might be. Still, the fact remains that I don't have a cruiser, so it must have been my evil twin you saw!

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR
Old 11-06-06, 09:41 AM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
richard.... errrrr rick! lol! can't get used to calling you rick! we saw a WHOLE BUNCH of ocrr riders on saturday during the inlan empire ride.... i forget exactly where??? maybe corona? they were all decked out in their pretty new red jerseys! i tried to take a quick look to see if you were among them.... but we were doing in a different direction....
Old 11-06-06, 10:45 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
No Caligurl (I still can't get used to not calling you by your real name!),

I wasn't among them. They were all on the full century route, but I rode the metric (63.5) loop, and not very well at that (16.4 ave.) since I'm still recovering from my horrible sickness.

At least I am riding again, but no where near this summer's level of fitness. I rode the shorter ride on Sunday (31 mi.), with Linda Adams (who you've met) mostly, and I felt better, so there is hope for me!

But soon I'm going to the U.K. so I'll be off the bike for almost 3 weeks, and hope to make some of the OCRR Holiday rides when I return. I know it would be a bit of a drive for you, but you and SirLance are invited to join us!

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 11-06-06 at 01:48 PM.