Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wheel Recommendations for Tourer?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06, 12:51 PM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the process of stripping and repainting my old Volkscycle, and want to set it up as a dedicated tourer/utility bike. In my early years (many, many moons ago) it served me well for fully loaded touring with a double butted CroMo frame and nice comfy geometry. Over the years I have upgraded the following major parts:

Bottom bracket (early model sealed Phil Wood, still spins like the day I purchased)
Shifters (from stem mount to bar end)
Crankset (early model Biopace road triple that I like to this day)

Brakes are still original DuraAce centerpulls, wheels are original Araya Satin 27" rims with Sunshine hubs. The rims have seen better days cosmetically, and I'm thinking about moving up to 700c to handle a wider tire. The brakes will handle the rim size difference no problem. Any suggestions as to reasonable priced rims or wheelsets to find new or used? TIA for your inputs....

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 11-03-06, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
refer to my ? two up from yours,wheel sizes,peterpan1 gives a very concise review of wheels and tires
Old 11-03-06, 05:10 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaDog
I am in the process of stripping and repainting my old Volkscycle, and want to set it up as a dedicated tourer/utility bike. In my early years (many, many moons ago) it served me well for fully loaded touring with a double butted CroMo frame and nice comfy geometry. Over the years I have upgraded the following major parts:

Bottom bracket (early model sealed Phil Wood, still spins like the day I purchased)
Shifters (from stem mount to bar end)
Crankset (early model Biopace road triple that I like to this day)

Brakes are still original DuraAce centerpulls, wheels are original Araya Satin 27" rims with Sunshine hubs. The rims have seen better days cosmetically, and I'm thinking about moving up to 700c to handle a wider tire. The brakes will handle the rim size difference no problem. Any suggestions as to reasonable priced rims or wheelsets to find new or used? TIA for your inputs....

B'Dog
Bear in mind that almost all good quality 700C wheelsets will be equipped with an 8/9/10 speed freehub spaced at 130mm or 135mm and will not work with your old freewheel or current frame spacing.

These issues can be worked around, but you need to know about them before you start buying stuff. What's your budget?
Old 11-03-06, 05:28 PM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If he just replaced his rims and spokes and kept the hubs there would be no problems to speak of. He may need to do some fiddling with the brakes though.
Old 11-04-06, 12:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, we need for info before we give your more advice. I'd crack open the hubs and look for wear on the cones. They may or may not be worth rebuilding. If you have the cash, Phil wood freewheels are around that will fit the rear spacing of your bike. Or you might be able to bend out the rear drop outs and use a newer hub and casette. It's possable to find good 126mm hubs (7 speed) on EBAY that might be just the ticket for a new wheelset.

You really need to get advice from a local sorce that can see you bike.

As far as rims, gosh, everybody has their favorites. I've always been a Sun rims guy-- I've had great luck with CR18 and Rynolite rims. But you will hear from other folks who will tell you different.