Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Spray on Rainproofing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Spray on Rainproofing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 11:36 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spray on Rainproofing?

I discovered this morning that my jacket is not as rainproof as it used to be.

What is a good brand of rainproofing that I can spray on the jacket?
Old 11-08-06, 11:55 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

I use this on the outer shell of my home made pogies.
Old 11-08-06, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nikwax wash-in proofing is probably better than a spray.
Old 11-08-06, 12:13 PM
Dam it is cold here!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Nikwax wash-in proofing is probably better than a spray.
The Nikwax wash-in stuff (Tx-direct) is the best on the market in my opinion. I use to work the outdoor retail industry and I have tried every type of waterproofing imaginable. The washin stuff waterproofs ever seam and gets right into the fabric. The best part is it is a polymer based product and as it breaks down over time (like all DWRs do) you can just put your article in the dryer and it magically revives the waterproofing. I have used that stuff for years in Vancouver Canada (known for it's wet weather) and I usually only had to re-apply it once every 2 years. The spray on version is ok but not nearly as good as the wash-in stuff. Make sure you follow the directions closely when you use it.

Last edited by Varroa; 11-08-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Columbia OmniTech waterproof jacket and the same thing started happening, no longer beaded water and more just soaked in
Columbia told me simply to wash the jacket and throw it in the dryer with a towel and that would reactivate it. Worked like a charm. They also mentioned Nikwax if that failed

Thinking about picking up some Nikwax as REI and trying to waterproof my backpack. Think that would work?
Old 11-08-06, 12:53 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nikwax wash in is the best that I've ever used. Spray-on's are not as good, and also can't be used indoors/unventilated when spraying/drying due to the chemical composition of the stuff.

First, before you go and buy $20 of Nikwax stuff (about $10 each for the pre-wash and waterproofing) try ironing your gear. I'm serious. It's a trick that I've picked up from being a distance backpacker for years and years. Low-heat ironing can reactivate the waterproofing on most 'breathable' fabrics, as long as you've never made the mistake of having them dry-cleaned or otherwise processed to break down the waterproofing.
Old 11-08-06, 12:56 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dwoloz
Thinking about picking up some Nikwax as REI and trying to waterproof my backpack. Think that would work?
Don't bother. Get a Sea-to-Summit SilNylon dry bag that fits like a pack liner.
I've got a GoLite pack (not even close to waterproof) that I use as my commuter bag. I use a dry bag liner, and I've had no issues with keeping things dry. (And I carry a lot of important lab documents and electronics on my commute)
Old 11-08-06, 01:30 PM
Dam it is cold here!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwoloz
I have a Columbia OmniTech waterproof jacket and the same thing started happening, no longer beaded water and more just soaked in
Columbia told me simply to wash the jacket and throw it in the dryer with a towel and that would reactivate it. Worked like a charm. They also mentioned Nikwax if that failed

Using the dryer or a iron to re-activate DWRs (Durable water repellency) on most gear can work, depending on the type of DWR and the age of it. Try and dryer first and if you notice NO increase in waterproofing then don't bother with the iron. But if the dryer does increase the water shedding then go ahead and try the iron but make sure you don't melt you garment in the process.

Also, washing you garment in a technical wash product like Nikwaxes tech wash or another product like Sport wash (found at walmart in the sporting/hunting department and some outdoor stores) or even Woolite Zero (almost the same product) and then drying in the dryer can really improve the DWR on some garments. I recommend washing your garment with one of these product prior to re-applying any DWR. Don't use a conventional laundry detergent and this can have chemicals in it that stay on the garment after the wash and can reduce the breakability, wicking or waterproofness of the garment.

p.s waterproofing a backpack or a bag is never a usefully thing, it can add SOME waterproofing but a packcover or a dry bag inside the bag is the only surefire method of keeping a pack waterproof (too many seams, zippers and the fabric is usually not good for waterproofing). There are some bags that are waterproof but if yours isn't already then I would just get the pack cover/dry bag instead.
Old 11-08-06, 02:38 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do such wash-in products as NikWax have any good effect on regular fabrics, or is that wasted effort?
Old 11-08-06, 03:16 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by truman
Do such wash-in products as NikWax have any good effect on regular fabrics, or is that wasted effort?
I saw some hiking forums that mentioned Nikwax for making other (non-DWR) garments a bit water repellent, but it won't make them as good as something designed and made with an actual DWR fabric.

I washed my g/f's nylon windbreaker with my GTX hiking raingear when I was waterproofing stuff last fall, and she's had no problems with it waterlogging, which it used to do quickly. I suppose it would depend a bit on the weave of the fabric, too. I doubt you could Nikwax wash a cotton t-shirt and stay dry with it.
Old 11-08-06, 03:26 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I saw some hiking forums that mentioned Nikwax for making other (non-DWR) garments a bit water repellent, but it won't make them as good as something designed and made with an actual DWR fabric.

I washed my g/f's nylon windbreaker with my GTX hiking raingear when I was waterproofing stuff last fall, and she's had no problems with it waterlogging, which it used to do quickly. I suppose it would depend a bit on the weave of the fabric, too. I doubt you could Nikwax wash a cotton t-shirt and stay dry with it.
what you're saying is pretty much what I'd hoped to hear. I have some pretty comfy articles of clothing that would be perfect for riding if they were just a tad more water repellant. Mostly Poly/Cotton blend stuff. I'll have to give it a try. I'll report back with any results.
Old 11-09-06, 01:59 AM
Very Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, sounds like the vote goes to Nikwax. I have to drive to work on Friday, I'll stop by the outdoor store and pick some up. Thanks, gang!
Old 11-09-06, 05:25 AM
Dam it is cold here!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by truman
They have a Nikwax for cotton and fleece. You could try one of those. The cotton one can make a t-shirt into a water bag for a short period of time.
Old 11-09-06, 10:08 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Varroa
They have a Nikwax for cotton and fleece. You could try one of those. The cotton one can make a t-shirt into a water bag for a short period of time.
I missed out on hearing about this stuff?!? Man... Now I have to go to REI, again.
I'm gonna use it on some bandanas and see if I can't use them as water scoopers in some of the creeks I filter from when camping.
Old 11-09-06, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I missed out on hearing about this stuff?!? Man... Now I have to go to REI, again.
I'm gonna use it on some bandanas and see if I can't use them as water scoopers in some of the creeks I filter from when camping.
I think I see a severe case of irony here...
Old 11-12-06, 05:21 PM
Very Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MikeR
Well, sounds like the vote goes to Nikwax. I have to drive to work on Friday, I'll stop by the outdoor store and pick some up. Thanks, gang!
Bought the stuff Friday. Washed my duds Saturday and tried them in the rain today. I was not out in the rain long but looks like it worked. Thanks everyone!