Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much does one learn from falling off a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-03, 02:20 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

In a particularly nasty fall I had at Lamington National Park today that had nothing to do with cycling, I'm starting to wonder if learning how to land from all of my cycling crashes might have helped.

It was basically an unexpected fall on some very slippery rocks near Ballunjui Cascades, but instinctively (I didn't have time for anything else) I managed to keep elbows, knees etc away from the point of impact, similar to what we all try to do when we fall off our bicycles (don't tell me you've never had a crash, we all have!). OK, it hurt, and my left thigh is very sore right now, but on that sort of surface it would have been easy to break something (in Lamington, that would be serious).

This continues a recent trend in which only one of my last six cycling accidents have been serious in any way. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some value in learning to crash "the hard way" after all.

That is all.
Old 04-13-03, 02:53 AM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah so Grasshopper: One must learn to fall, before one learns to stand.
Old 04-13-03, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris, I've never experienced a real nasty fall, but I came very close while on vacation last year. I was going down hill at a very fast speed and I turned around to see where my wife was. As soon as I turned around I started to drift right towards the curb. I almost over reacted, almost lost control of the bike and learned a lesson very quickly.

I also had one very minor spill on a brand new bike. The brake levers were reversed to my thinking - for me, right is rear and left is front. My new bike was just the opposite and I was holding something in my left hand and was forced to brake very quickly. I spilled and scratched my new bike that day. I now make it a point to reverse the cables to what I think they should be.
Old 04-13-03, 05:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess one learns to walk through shame? It requires some confidence and courage to walk away smiling even if you fall and hurt yourself badly.

Who knows, maybe a girl might find you cute when you fall off your bike.
Old 04-13-03, 05:39 AM
newbie newbie

Bikes: Titanium Indy Fab 29" mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of my serious crashes have happened so fast (and violently) that I did not have time to think or act. It seems that it is the low speed garden variety crash that you have some time to react to and plan your fall. Even the pros do not seem to be able to "crash correctly" as seen in the recent Paris-Nice race with Kivilev and the Tour of Flanders with Boonen.
The only way I see to get better at crashes is to do more of them. As they say "practice makes perfect".
Old 04-13-03, 08:07 AM
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you mean. It seems that everytime I take a spill, I do the same thing by trying to land on a large muscle mass instead of a joint (or my face). I find that, I try to stay loose and just "roll" with it.

I slipped up the other day though and screwed up a pedal kick off a silly 2 ft drop on an urban ride. stupid, stupid, stupid!!! The front tire took a header and so did I. I stuck my arms out but pulled them in at the last minute. I just let my body hit the pavement and then rolled away from the bike. I still hurt my wrist. Ah well, live and learn.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-13-03, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much you learn depends on how hard you hit your head
Old 04-13-03, 09:25 PM

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Originally posted by oxologic
Who knows, maybe a girl might find you cute when you fall off your bike.
This reminds me of the time I was at the gym at university, when a couple of very attractive females watched me fall off a treadmill. Unfortunately a few of my friends were there, so I ended up doing the macho thing and basically laughing the whole thing off. I've often wondered what might have happened had I pretended to be badly injured...

That is all.
Old 04-13-03, 11:55 PM
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You had a fall at Lamington National Park, the only thing that will help you recover is a LARGE tray of Lamingtons and some nice brewed coffee.

This reminds me of the time I was at the gym at university, when a couple of very attractive females watched me fall off a treadmill.
A friend was running on a treadmill and was checking out a girl that was exercising near him. He lost concentration and fell over. To prove it wasn't an accident he repeated the same trick two more times, before conceding defeat and realising that the girl wasn't impressed or interested.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 04-14-03, 12:51 AM
MaNiC!

Bikes: 2004 Cervelo Soloist 105, 2005 Apollo Apex, 2006 SCOTT Speedster S30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ummm have learnt to just get back on and ride!

Brendon
Old 04-14-03, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's amazing that when we are children and we burn ourselves on a hot stove, we learn not to touch it again. But now, we fall off our bikes and break a wrist or hand and we just can't wait to heal and get back on and start riding again. Ah.....human nature.
Old 04-14-03, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well, when you fall off a horse, you got to get back on it and ride.

Giddyap!

KB

Old 04-14-03, 10:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha.. this reminds me of a wierd story.

My (now ex) girlfriend and I were at a friend of mine's apartment, I guess just partying or something. For some reason she and I were outside, maybe she was smoking or something... ugh. Anyway... she saw these kids sitting outside on the curb, and wanted to go talk to them for some reason. They looked like half our age, but I think I'd had a few beers, so I was naturally sociable and followed her over there. We spoke with them for a little bit, small talk I guess.. then she walked back into the apartment and I stood there chatting a little bit longer.

Well.. at that point I was jogging along the sidewalk to catch up, in the dark. The cement dropped down between the garages of the apartment complex, leaving about a 3-4 inch drop in the concrete. So I'm jogging along, and somehow in the dark didn't see the 3-4 inch concrete ledge. I slam my foot into it, breaking my foot horribly, and of course come crashing down onto the sidewalk. But being the crash extroidinaire I am, I managed to fall correctly onto my side so only a small portion of my palm and ankle ever made contact with the pavement. I would have been way more scraped up had I not known how to fall.

But all the skill at falling in the world didn't save my foot from smashing into a concrete ledge and breaking
Old 04-21-03, 09:46 PM

Bikes: 96-97 Gazelle Medeo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chris L
I'm beginning to wonder if there's some value in learning to crash "the hard way" after all.
Falling is a valuable experience, not only mentally, but also physically as a lot of body movements and certain reflects are unconscious.
Generally, once person falls, he will be more careful next time and will avoid similar situation. Learning!
Old 04-21-03, 09:48 PM
Donating member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One learns just how damned hard the ground can be.

FantasyBikeRace is now FREE to play!
Old 04-21-03, 10:01 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by Raiyn
Ah so Grasshopper: One must learn to fall, before one learns to stand.
You are getting very budhist lately
Old 04-21-03, 10:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sharing this story because it's so very true.

When I purchased my first pair of clipless, I practiced almost daily on my trainer before hitting the pavement. Several weeks later, feeling pretty good about clicking in and out, I went for a ride. DUH!!!

Riding down a bike path, I had not problem until I came to a stop. I tried to click out and I was STUCK!! I was speechless. In seconds, I fell completely over. I didn't hurt myself, thank god, but... what blew me away was, it was so many people handing out that summer day on the bike path and when I fell, it was dead silence, as if i was the only one there. I struggled as if I was glued to the clips to get out. Once succeeding, I stood up, dusted myself off and picked up my bike. I dared not to turn around to see the many faces holding their breaths looking at me. I checked the bottom of my shoe, got back on my bike and road off. I was mad like no other.

Returning to the bike store for re-adjustments... it happened again. This time in the middle of the street. Thanking my luck stars no traffic was moving.

To make a long story short, I had to write a complaint letter to the owner of the store for him to this inform his Jack a-- employee who sold me the pedals, to exchange them. Come to find out, there were defective.

Now...by a difference manufacturer. I haven't fallen since.

Last edited by ITALIA; 04-21-03 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
What I have learned about falling:

-it's easier to watch someone fall that to do it oneself.

-falls are always embarrassing unless the pain exceeds
the 'animal threshold'.[The 'animal threshold' is the point where
you don't care what others see, hear or think as it hurts so much all that's left is animal behaviour.]

-the main trick is to land on your back and hold the bicycle above
yourself to protect it from damage and scratches. Skin grows
back, but a paint chip is forever.
Old 04-21-03, 10:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, falling while biking is a forseen act with me.. my clumsiness factor taken into consideration.. but regular falls well.. lets see
-falling up stairs: hey there are less to fall down after.
-tripping over my helmet: at least i know where it is.
-falling off the last step on an escalator: there is at least one person standing there duhhhhhh to block the complete descent.
-falling for someone: creates alot of laughter amongst my family
and then there is finding that icy patch at 5 in the morning and you are running for the bus: i always wanted to see what my feet looked like framed against the sky.

i learnt that to fall is human.. my bike however is divine
Old 04-22-03, 07:11 AM
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my latest falling experiences was actually the opposite of your ChrisL. It seems that all the falling that I practiced in my Jiujitsu class really paid off this winter on the bike.

I was planning to ride over the top of a pile of snow, well it seems that two things were wrong with my plan. First the snow was too soft to ride over, I rode straight into the snowbank. Second, the snow plow pushed one of those parking curbs for car parking lots into the center of the pile. I slammed into the hidden curb. This brought the bike to a complete stop. I unfortunately continued forward over the handlebars (and the snowbank) and had an opportunity to execute a forward rolling breakfall onto the plowed asphalt in front of the snowbank. I managed to crush a half full water bottle in the mesh pocket of my backpack, but other than that things were fine.

I am much more careful with piles of snow now.

Dan
Old 04-22-03, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by DanFromDetroit
One of my latest falling experiences was actually the opposite of your ChrisL. It seems that all the falling that I practiced in my Jiujitsu class really paid off this winter on the bike.
If there was snow involved it definitely was the opposite of my situation.

That is all.
Old 04-22-03, 09:58 PM
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much does one learn from falling? It makes me wonder had bikes been around in Isaac Newton's day, could his theory of gravity have resulted from observing a falling cyclist instead of an apple?
Old 04-23-03, 03:43 AM
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well it depends...

i have 2 kinds of falls:
1) anticipated falls like on a mountain bike trail where i know i'm going over the bars or to the side -- here i can "bail" soas to hopefully not do a lot of damage ----- unfortunately i seem to hurt my hands a lot still (last Sunday i rode a big drop and messed the landing and bailed "correctly" but slammed the back of my hand into a rock and it still hurts now
2) unanticipated falls where you can't do anything --- like winter 2002 when i fell on ice and went down so fast i had no time and i sprained my wrist --- or my big crash where i flew 20 feet in the air and the landed on me head and then slid another 20 feet on my face - i had no clear where was up or what was going on or anything

as to the embarassment - - maybe occaisonally i do, but usually i find my falls very funny and actually think they are a positive social factor ---- in other words if i never got hurt i would actually prefer to have a crash every so often and make some people laugh ---- but what sucks is when you have a "cool" fall and then you think everthing's fine and everyone laughs and then the next day your wrist or hip or whatever hurts and you have the pain for like 6 weeks
Old 04-23-03, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by nathank
as to the embarassment - - maybe occaisonally i do, but usually i find my falls very funny and actually think they are a positive social factor ---- in other words if i never got hurt i would actually prefer to have a crash every so often and make some people laugh ----
I hear ya! It reminds me of a silly crash I had at Hinze Dam a few years back. I saw that one coming so I made it look as melodramatic as possible. Trouble was, I burst into laughter as soon as I hit the ground.

That is all.
Old 04-23-03, 04:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I fall off I usually end up where gravity decides to take me.
Don't get enough time to think about it..
I have been dumb enough to fall off twice in same place..a very slippery ramp while running late for work..I'm very careful at that spot now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.