Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Front light battery pull on brake cable

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey all

I'm (finally) switching over to the heavy-duty (mountain biking) front light for my winter commute, but I don't have a nice thick down tube to prop the battery on, like with my old bike (I'm riding a Marin Mill Valley now). So I've got it velcroed to the top tube, hanging down. This pulls the rear brake cable out slightly though. I've check to make sure the rear brake isn't tightened so much as to rub, but I want to be sure that there's no real harm done in having a constant, slight pull on this cable..? Could it weaken/loosen/fray the cable over time?
If so, I suppose I can just take the light battery off during the day and 70 minutes of riding a day can't do too much harm...

thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-29-06, 11:19 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Get a thick piece of plastic tube, slit it and wrap it around the cable, then put the battery over it.

The cable is pretty tough. We've had one in an experiment at work sawing through a piece of fiber glass reinforced nylon back and forth with a 10ft stroke for about 8000 cycles so far, no problems.
Old 11-30-06, 06:28 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Get a thick piece of plastic tube, slit it and wrap it around the cable, then put the battery over it.

The cable is pretty tough. We've had one in an experiment at work sawing through a piece of fiber glass reinforced nylon back and forth with a 10ft stroke for about 8000 cycles so far, no problems.
You must be REALLY busy where you work. Can I get a job there?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-30-06, 06:32 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Haha, it wasn't me, we had a PLC controlling a setup.
Old 11-30-06, 10:19 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have all sorts of junk on my top tube (including my brake cable) and I've got no problems because I run all my clips, clamps, and velcro underneath the cabling. Why put the possibility of interference out there? Are the cables run in such a fashion that you can't wrap the battery strap underneath them?
Old 11-30-06, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 try routing the strap under the cable. There should be room there since there is no housing around the cable at that point.

But as Sheldon says, why do you really need a rear brake anyways?.
Old 11-30-06, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I have all sorts of junk on my top tube (including my brake cable) and I've got no problems because I run all my clips, clamps, and velcro underneath the cabling. Why put the possibility of interference out there? Are the cables run in such a fashion that you can't wrap the battery strap underneath them?
Yeah, sorry -- guess I didn't explain well. I'll post a pic I took if I can find a quick place to stash it.
The rear brake cable runs along the (left) side of my top tube. I have the battery straps running underneath/inside them (directly against the top tube), but because the battery weight is lopsided, it slopes to the side, and therefore the straps bulge out slightly, pulling out on the brake cable. Does that make sense?
Anyways, like I said -- it does not cause the rear brakes to rub, and as slvoid suggests, I imagine the cable is tough enough to deal with the wear.

Scorer75 -- I googled sheldon rear brake and read his article on it -- interesting, cause even though I know front brake provides much more stopping power, I use rear brake 90% of the time (for coasting to stop lights, slowing to coast through signs, etc.). I guess that makes me an inexperienced cyclist. ; )

thanks again for the responses...