Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to choose a fork?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to choose a fork?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 12:41 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to choose a fork?

Rather than just going out to buy a complete bike I'm still trying to resurrect the Craigslist bike that I've been tinkering with. It was completely working except that the fork was recalled: Mongoose S20 bike, Ballistic 105 fork. I sent the fork back but have been a little stumped in finding a fork that fits properly as a replacement.

I read the performance bike FAQ and I think it's a threaded fork since the stem fits down into the steerer. Measuring the diameter of the steerer it's 15/16" so I guess I need to round up to make it a 1 1/8" fork. What about other dimensions? I need a MTB fork but do I need to specify it more than that?

So far I've managed to get a free fork that didn't fit the stem since it apparently is a 1" fork. And I've collected two bikes off Craigslist for $15 where one fork was completely rusted into the stem and the other had a suspension fork that was fairly questionable. At least I've managed to liberate the wheels, tires and tubes from the two bikes so it wasn't a total wasted effort plus I found a nicer kickstand for the bike.

Will my LBS look at me strangely if I ask them if they sell just used forks?
Old 12-01-06, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so you just need a 1 1/8" rigid fork? Im assuming 26"? threaded or threadless?
Tried E-bay?
Old 12-01-06, 01:22 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda Sport '06

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes for 26", threaded I believe..