Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

really really really good tire leveer

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I mounted my studded tires because the we were supposed to get rain and snow and ice and all the plagues of egypt but it turned out we just got some rain, wind, and cold air.
Today I wanted to take the studded tires off and put my streetrunners back on. OMFG!! I broke 3 tire levers and still the studded tires are on there. It must be the Rhynolite rims because I do not have this problem on my cliffhangers.
Now I don't have any tire levers left because I broke my other one a few weeks ago.
Can anyone suggest a really good packable tire lever set that is long with good leverage, won't break, and won't destroy the rim?
Old 12-02-06, 11:54 PM
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These work pretty well:

https://www.rei.com/product/1647.htm

Have you tried regular metal levers?
Old 12-03-06, 12:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
Yesterday I mounted my studded tires because the we were supposed to get rain and snow and ice and all the plagues of egypt but it turned out we just got some rain, wind, and cold air.
Today I wanted to take the studded tires off and put my streetrunners back on. OMFG!! I broke 3 tire levers and still the studded tires are on there. It must be the Rhynolite rims because I do not have this problem on my cliffhangers.
Now I don't have any tire levers left because I broke my other one a few weeks ago.
Can anyone suggest a really good packable tire lever set that is long with good leverage, won't break, and won't destroy the rim?

Kool Stop (actually German dremefa) levers:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...6573&c=5951968

are very good.

Your problem, though, appear not the levers but their improper use. There are steel and titanium levers around but they will damage the tires and tubes and you should not be forced to use them. A skilled person uses primarily hands, especially to take the tires off, even with tough tire-rim combinations. The levers are only used there to tip over the balance. You need to push everywhere the tire edges into the rim center. When taking off, make sure that the air is all out. Grab the tire at one spot and pull it off the rim.
Old 12-03-06, 12:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by 2_i
but they will damage the tires and tubes
I meant rim and tubes. Tires maybe too but I have not seen that.
Old 12-03-06, 01:12 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haven't tried metal levers, and was kinda scared too because I thought they'd hurt the rims

I have had no problems taking off tires until this combination of rhynolite rims and nashbar studded tires
Old 12-03-06, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mchaz
These work pretty well:

https://www.rei.com/product/1647.htm

Have you tried regular metal levers?
+1 on the Quik-Stik. They are the best I've used.
Old 12-03-06, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
haven't tried metal levers, and was kinda scared too because I thought they'd hurt the rims

I have had no problems taking off tires until this combination of rhynolite rims and nashbar studded tires

Sorry, but I doubt your skills reading of you breaking one lever after another, not learning in-between. In any case, the lever should be used so that the bead is right at the rim where the lever is applied. This is to minimize torque on the lever, which might break it.
Old 12-03-06, 07:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to break levers all the time, then got these https://www.parktool.com/products/det...7&item=TL%2D5#
The best I've ever used. Not really portable though, so I bring a quick stick and regular lever on rides.
Old 12-03-06, 08:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used butter knives for 20 years, then I realized they actually sold tire levers.
Old 12-03-06, 02:20 PM
Brompton Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I damaged 3 types of levers, until I got the Soma Steel Core Tire Levers.

https://www.somafab.com/tirelevers.html

Tal.
Old 12-03-06, 03:07 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pyramid metal tire levers. Cheap and available @ any lbs or online @ bikepartsusa.com. I've got a set w/all my bikes and have been using them for years w/no probs.
Old 12-03-06, 03:30 PM
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My park-tool mini levers have never let me down, but I used to use everything you can imagine beck when I was a teenager. Knives, screwdrivers, spatulas, whatever. The key is to not be ham-fisted. That said, being ham-fisted with a tire lever, you'll also break something. With a plastic lever, it'll be the lever that breaks. With a metal one, it'll be a puncture in the tube, or a bent rim.
Old 12-03-06, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The park levers will not break.. They are great for situations like yours.. I keep a set in my tool box..

Originally Posted by evancds
I used to break levers all the time, then got these https://www.parktool.com/products/det...7&item=TL%2D5#
The best I've ever used. Not really portable though, so I bring a quick stick and regular lever on rides.
Old 12-03-06, 04:29 PM
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Quick Sticks! They are awesome!
Old 12-03-06, 05:30 PM
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The big yellow Pedros are the best I've ever used. Crazily, even for skinny tires. And they're CHEAP.
Old 12-03-06, 06:07 PM
Commuter hits the trail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel core levers work very well, with plastic as to not damage the rim. Most online places have them, and many LBS as well.
Old 12-03-06, 06:28 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I meant rim and tubes. Tires maybe too but I have not seen that.
Never heard of rim damage caused by metal levers and I've been using everything from screw drivers as a kid to the currentmetal ones which I don't know when I got 'em or from where but they never damaged a rim; but then I don't have any lightweight rims made out of some exotic flimsy material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TireIron.jpg (29.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-03-06, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Never heard of rim damage caused by metal levers and I've been using everything from screw drivers as a kid to the currentmetal ones which I don't know when I got 'em or from where but they never damaged a rim; but then I don't have any lightweight rims made out of some exotic flimsy material.
Maybe you have been riding steel rims. An alu* rim can get damaged in no time with a steel lever combined with a tough tire and improper use.

As to the Quick Stick and Park Tools, they lack the hooks of the Kool Stops, so can only be half as effective. Park Tools bring in exposed steel in addition. I have, in fact, one Quick Stick and found it a waste of money. Soma Steel Core sound good, but you need three levers rather than two to work effectively. Thus I'd suggest to buy a pair right away if going for them.

Overall, though, plastic levers have something to be said for them just because they can break. Avoiding breaking them makes you work properly, with thought.

*has been exotic early in previous century
Old 12-03-06, 06:55 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The "Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack" works well for particularly hard tire/rim combos.
Old 12-03-06, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Soma steel cored levers quite a bit.
Old 12-03-06, 07:25 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Maybe you have been riding steel rims. An alu* rim can get damaged in no time with a steel lever combined with a tough tire and improper use.
How do these "alu* rims" that are so easily damaged by a tire lever, avoid being damaged while various kinetic forces are inflicted on them when being used; such as carrying a rider at speed and traversing on anything other than pool table smooth asphalt or training rollers? Or is that considered improper use?
Old 12-03-06, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do these "alu* rims" that are so easily damaged by a tire lever, avoid being damaged while various kinetic forces are inflicted on them when being used; such as carrying a rider at speed and traversing on anything other than pool table smooth asphalt or training rollers? Or is that considered improper use?
Dr. Dunlop's pneumatic tire is a wonderful invention.
Old 12-03-06, 07:56 PM

Material gets damaged when critical stress is exceeded locally. Stress is applied force per area of application. A rope may be capable of carrying lots of weight, but you can cut with a knife using little force. The knife is effective, because it can concentrate the force over little area. Unfortunately, a lever can be also effective delivering stress to a rim. If you cover the lever in plastic, the contact area of force application will spread out both with a rim and tube.