Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me figure out weird pain behind knee...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 10:04 PM
The Cycling Photographer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

heya'll.. just wondering of anyone else has had pain above their calf, almost right behind the knee in the back of the leg... I have had some calf pain in the past month or so.. rode 40 miles on staurday with some pain... today, I went to get on the trainer, and it didn;t really hurt.. but it felt like the muscle was rubbing weird, almost creating a clicking kinda sound behind my knee... doesn this sound familiar to anyone ?? have I jsut went too hard, too fast, and need some time off ?? I dunno.. but it;'s driving me nuts.. I can;t ride...

Lemme know

Thanks

JEff
Old 04-15-03, 10:21 PM
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeff, check out this page and see if it is what your problem sounds like. My knee bothered me last summer for a while and I started doing some of the stretching exercises they reccomended and haven't had a problem since. Just a thought.
https://www.itbs.info/

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here
Old 04-16-03, 06:35 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better yet, go see your doctor!!!!
Old 04-16-03, 09:40 AM
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by D*Alex
Better yet, go see your doctor!!!!
Well that is the next step.. but I figure with the amount of people on this forum here, there was probably someone who had the same problem, and if so, what they did to remedy it... no need to go to a doctor, if all I need is rest and an ice pack ya know ?

Jeff
Old 04-16-03, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a pain behind the (right) knee just before Christmas, it was right on the bend (you can see I'm no doctor!) I could feel it when I pulled up with that leg. I eased off the cycling for a couple of weeks and re-adjusted my saddle height (I fiddled around with it about two weeks before the start of my pain, so I asssume the cause was incorrect saddle height) and the pain went away.
I also wore one of those surgical knee supports for a while and that helped a bit.

Biy like D*Alex said - Best to see the doctor if it doesn't cleared up - a pain now could become agony later...
Old 04-16-03, 11:59 AM
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maraxis,

yeah that is exactly where the "pain" is... it's weird, because it isn;t really pain per se, just an annoying popping feeling, like the tendon, or whatever, is rubbing weird... I didn;t have this problem last season.. and the only thing I did was raise my seat some... so I may have to play with that... probably lower it a bit, and maybe move it forward just a hair.... I hate trying to figure out seat height.. my next bike, I'm taking to a shop, and have them fit me right...

I will try that first.. and if it doesn't clear up... off to the doctor I go !

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-16-03, 12:02 PM
Jungle lady

Bikes: gary fisher cake

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 98 Posts
It doesn't sound like ileotibial band syndrome which usually localizes to the lateral aspect of the knee.

This may be a popliteal cyst or Baker's cyst , just a gastrocnemius tendonitis or exertional compartment syndrome of the leg. No way to tell without examning it so go see your doc. (The clicking sound is usually an inflammed, tight ligament or tendon..... so stretching may help as well as high doses of NSAIDs such as ibuprofen 600mg three times a day for two weeks.)

https://www.pnhp.org/